Media General merging with Meredith

TheRob

Where would WBNS wound up being sold to?

Nobody knows, but inside the organizations many feel it all about timing. It been hush-hush, but others feel it all about timing and with next yr being an election year it could be around the time or after.. So we wait and see how it all comes out. None of the current groups were name.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody knows, but inside the organizations many feel it all about timing. It been hush-hush, but others feel it all about timing and with next yr being an election year it could be around the time or after.. So we wait and see how it all comes out. None of the current groups were name.

yep

Two of today's Newsblues headlines say that MG is leaning towards the Nexstar offer AND a decision is expected tomorrow to reject Meredith. Having traded in and out of MG's stock lately, it's been a wild and fun ride. We'll see if Newsblues is right and if a decision comes tomorrow.

That just means they're considering being bought by Nexstar. They could reach a decision to still merge with Meredith. [snip].

^This.

With the recent Bloomberg, et. al. reports this past week I think there seems to be a misunderstanding of what is going on. Media General and Nexstar haven't even entered into any formal discussions. The MG board vote that was rumored to be taking place on Friday was a vote to begin those "formal discussions." And, As the Bloomberg article notes "A decision to negotiate doesn’t mean Nexstar’s current unsolicited offer -- valued at about $14.50 a share according to the Sept. 28 announcement -- is preferred."

I personally think the MG board, and more specifically Soohyung Kim, still endorse the Meredith/MG deal. If/when they enter into negotiations with Nexstar they will be doing so begrudgingly to avoid further lawsuits and CYA themselves with regards to any lawsuits already filed. I don't think Soohyung Kim is ready to throw in the towel yet...I think he is going to fight tooth and nail to preserve the Meredith deal, just my opinion. And, I don't always agree with Henry Jessell's takes but, I think he was pretty nailed it with his take on why Nexstar wants MG so badly and vice versa why MG desperately wants to hitch up with Meredith.

For those of you not familiar with Mr. Kim I'd suggest reading these four articles. I know one of them was posted earlier in the thread but, I can't remember which one. Anyway, a lot is being made of Starboard Value's 4.5% they own and their fist pounding. But, Standard General led by Kim holds over three times as many shares at 15%. And, Soohyung Kim has by all accounts engineered every deal to this point Young/MG, Lin/MG and Meredith/MG...all out of his initial $100 Million Dollar investment in Young. If you think he's just going to roll over for the guy that threw a pissy fit over the number of breadsticks Olive Garden was serving...Well, I think you got another thing coming because I don't see that happening, not without a fight at least. One other thing Berkshire Hathaway holds a nearly 4% stake in MG and has been largely silent. But, Warren Buffet has never taken kindly to hostile takeovers and when Buffet speaks the street listens even with his small slice he wields enormous influence over any potential deal.

Anyone know If Vegas is taking bets?

I do expect Nexstar to take SOME, but not all, of the MMG spinoffs. Some markets like Portland or Nashville might not go to Nexstar but it should give them a foothold in places the they need to battle Sinclair.

UpstateProud.com?

WeAreCT.com?

WesternMassHomepage.com?

MobileProud.com?

I think the settlement should be made between Hearst, Meredith, Media General and Nexstar and that would be for both companies to merge with one another meaning that Hearst and Meredith Merge (the only 2 conflicts that I see are in The Western Carolinas/NE Georgia and Kansas City Markets) and Nexstar and MG Merge this way 2 Publishing/Magazine/TV station groups and TV only groups would merge. I think that would benefit everybody.

Just my 2 cents

They may actually end up with WFXR's graphics and PortlandFirst since First is the new trend. I was thinking more of Local 6 News.

I could see the PortlandFirst.com and the WFXR graphics. However, Nexstar might keep the KOIN call letters somewhere in the branding due to how historic and brand-equitable KOIN is to Portland. Plus, New Vision already did KOIN Local 6 News so Nexstar could basically polish off old-branding, modify the 2008-2014 logo, and voila!

Archived