Media General merging with Meredith

TheRob

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me WBNS and WTHR would fit perfectly with either Hearst or TEGNA, no matter what because I don't see them as Sinclair or Gray or any other media group.

What if... The CBC (Capitol Broadcasting Company out of Raleigh, not the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) bought WBNS and WTHR?

To me WBNS and WTHR would fit perfectly with either Hearst or TEGNA, no matter what because I don't see them as Sinclair or Gray or any other media group.

What if... The CBC (Capitol Broadcasting Company out of Raleigh, not the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) bought WBNS and WTHR?

CBC is wayyyy more likely to get bought than to do any buying itself.

Despite the fact that about a page and a half of material needs to be excised...

It's really interesting, especially given the feeling I have that this is among the last big TV mergers we're going to see. The wave of consolidation that's hit this decade has created a lot of companies unable to do much further movement. Aside from a few snacks, the big groups are mostly satiated. Also, interest rate rises are looming which may dampen the general market appetite for M&A as it makes borrowing more expensive.

Despite the fact that about a page and a half of material needs to be excised...

It's really interesting, especially given the feeling I have that this is among the last big TV mergers we're going to see. The wave of consolidation that's hit this decade has created a lot of companies unable to do much further movement. Aside from a few snacks, the big groups are mostly satiated. Also, interest rate rises are looming which may dampen the general market appetite for M&A as it makes borrowing more expensive.

Not to mention the recent FCC ruling on JSAs

I have a feeling Capitol would be selling their 2 stations and not buy WTHR or WBNS. If anything those 4 combined could go to either Hearst, TEGNA, Raycom or Cox but they may not be sold together they could be sold separately to other groups.

If this spectrum auction goes through as planned, there will be even more rampant consolidation especially if ATSC 3.0 ever comes to fruition.

Companies like Media General that "may" sell spectrum could sell off their weakest stations and ANYTHING in conflict. Its an unknown at this point but it's been done as evidenced by past moves of Sinclair and Gray....

If this spectrum auction goes through as planned, there will be even more rampant consolidation especially if ATSC 3.0 ever comes to fruition.

Companies like Media General that "may" sell spectrum could sell off their weakest stations and ANYTHING in conflict. Its an unknown at this point but it's been done as evidenced by past moves of Sinclair and Gray....

What about Nexstar?

It would make for an interesting situation in Green Bay should Nexstar prevail. WBAY could be the sale victim if WFRV is kept, and especially if they still are essentially running WJMN.

And since WLUK had to be sold off last year, only WGBA has been immune from conflict, despite even being sold itself to Scripps when they absorbed Journal.

Same for KADN and KLFY

Thoughts on who could buy stations in the 7 overlapping markets:

Terre Haute, IN - WTWO - WTHI

Fort Wayne, IN - WFFT- WANE

Lafayette, LA KADN/KLAF- KLFY

Harrisburg, PA WLHY- WHTM

Green Bay, WI WFRV - WBAY

Davenport, IA WHFB / KGCW - KWQC

Roanoke, VA WFXR/ WWCW - WSLS

In the Lafayette Louisiana case sell KLFY to Scripps, Weigel, Tegna, Tribune, or Hearst.

I was told IF it happens Nexstar would turn around and sell KLFY to another Media company, which it dont matter they all subchannel anyway or put the cbs on the.2 and move the nbc and mntv down a notch then sell the tower, station, and license to someone else. That someone else could keep it as an indy station with subchannels...

Since KLAF is a low power, they'd flip one of KADN or KLFY to a sidecar and merge operations into a three headed beast. FCC would let them get away with it too.

Is it because Nexstar is a member of the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters), who happen to believe that shared services agreements and joint sales agreements should stay?

Is it because Nexstar is a member of the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters), who happen to believe that shared services agreements and joint sales agreements should stay?

So what your saying klfy would be owned by Nexstar but ran by someone else.

Basically, unless the FCC bars that from happening, in which case, they'll sell KLFY to an independent owner and put CBS on a subchannel like you said.

Raycom would LOVE to have KLFY. They're already in Lake Charles, Baton Rouge (duopoly), NOLA and Shreveport. Lafayette is a gap in their La. coverage. Would it ever happen? Doubtful, most likely, but these days you never know ...

Thats good news the way media general been subchanneling the last two months and the launching more stations on it's former livewell affiliates (WATE, WKRN, and KLFY at least) would hate to lose all that to Nexstar.

I think money may not be a factor; perhaps MG realizes what they would lose?

Archived