KETV getting a new building

Breaking News

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't watched the video but do trains still pass by the station? If so I wonder how they're going to deal with the vibration - a floating floor?

Hopefully they'll make the HD switch with the move.

I watched the video and it said that while they'll hear the train going by during the newscast but it won't distract them. As far as going to HD I think they will convert to HD and in the new V/O Introduction you'll here this "Now in High Definition, you're watching Omaha's ABC KETV Channel 7. Now More Complete Coverage from Your Favorite Choice for Local News. KETV NewsWatch 7 at 10."

Also not related but KETV is going to expand to 9pm on their MeTV Omaha Subchannel so now in the V/O Intros starting on Monday it'll say: "You're watching Omaha's ABC KETV Channel 7. Now, More Complete Coverage from Your Favorite Source for Local News. KETV NewsWatch 7 at 9 on MeTV Omaha."

• 1 month later...
Can't wait to see- they've had a few "face lifts" over the years:

Original "Newsplex":

50c407a1b908d45d78abe3da4dd7266c.jpg

308bac7244f53074c2e1f2b239e3c6a8.jpg

Facelift 1:

6d4323866bc15f999f8076b120629b44.jpg

2f9d05d1ec938604a85e4d2a3403bec1.jpg74b2f390512e251526ccbcc67b776e61.jpg

9b08332160230d72d66facae6d3e9a5c.jpgd31166d60ab8024751f5b40dc7aff7c0.jpg

Facelift 2 (current):

c8f88418241c8d118d1362a8f79dcb83.jpgf6e60b8a35ea68f3e466840d45717a8a.jpg1e3fa2f3de981cc3e99789b25f1c7879.jpgcc1596ff87d1bc10bd1a1d7201a18250.jpg3f167179dd96641ce6a4a12532a18c74.jpg

Amazingly they've kept the same "NewsWatch 7" moniker when did they add "KETV" to the "NewsWatch 7" moniker? Was it after then Hearst-Argyle bought KETV?

It certainly is interesting that they are turning an old train station that sat vacant for 30+ years into a new broadcasting center. I'm interested in seeing how it turns out when it is all said and done. I commend Hearst for making the investment.

They've been very good about keeping the interior appointments a secret - however, the more recent posts on a local development forum (link to thread below) has pictures of the completed exterior and it is no less than stunning. The photographer of the photos apparently has a reputation for capturing great urban pictures, well-founded in my opinion.

http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=60&start=400

Delvin Design Group designed the studio - from the information made public, Hearst had some strict requirements when the job went to bid, including significant story telling capacities of modern studios with a mix -sort of a nod- to the design and historical significance of the building. It is 2,709 sq. ft and from promo commercials recently aired, seems to be very led-heavy, anchors standing ... Similar to the DDG set in Alaska perhaps? (Forget the station)

(Commercials airing say "coming this Fall" and feature a view from behind standing anchors in a low position at a circular desk with circular ceiling design. Not able to see much- but if you know DDG work, you can kind of 'guess' the bones)

I'd imagine they're planning on making the move for sweeps. It's amazing what they did to the building based on the pictures in the linked thread.

Edit: I am watching their 9PM newscast on line and it appears they are stretching a 4:3 image to file a 16:9 frame. Is this standard or an error online?

Doesn't sound right to me- but I've only watched on my iPhone using their mobile app

That's what I was using as well. I looked at their YouTube channel and I'm pretty sure it was a glitch as they were encoding it for the web. Their lower thirds filled the entire width of my screen where as if it were 16:9 SD they'd centered as it would appear if they broadcast in HD.

Edit: Just tried their Nowcast which replays the latest newscast recorded on both my iPhone 6+ and iPad Air 2 and the problem appears to be fixed. Must of been an issue with their 9PM show.

They've been very good about keeping the interior appointments a secret - however, the more recent posts on a local development forum (link to thread below) has pictures of the completed exterior and it is no less than stunning. The photographer of the photos apparently has a reputation for capturing great urban pictures, well-founded in my opinion.

http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=60&start=400

Andy Kendeigh said on a Radio Show on one of the local radio outlets in Omaha that KETV will start broadcasting from the Burlington Station in a few weeks or towards the end of this month. That's what one of the commenters from the thread said.

And the First News team tweeted they were on their way to rehearsal at the 7 Burlington Station. A viewer asked when they would broadcast from the new studio and one of the morning anchors responded that "it was still a moving target". I would imagine by the start of sweeps, if not sooner. I do not know how long before going "live" rehearsals would be- but I'd guess there are promos to shoot, new talent open (as the current talent open shows various Newsplex scenes) and getting the hang of new technology. I'm sure they are taking advantage of having two studios to get it down. I suppose those of you in the business would know better a timeline from rehearsal.

Above mentioned tweet from Alex Hoffman, KETV First News Anchor:

https://twitter.com/hoffman_alex?lang=en

• 2 weeks later...

Archived