Gray TV acquiring Schurz

TheRob

So it looks like Gray is planning to pull another KYLX/WZAW kind-of maneuvering. This time, it's in Augusta.

There's an STA pending right now for that new Class A LP they just bought (WBEK 16 (now under the calls WRDW-CD)), to move to the same transmitting facility that it's currently occupied by full-power station, WAGT.

Remember Gray is planning on turning off WAGT's full-power facility once the Schurz sale closes, and resell that spectrum in the incentive auction later this spring.

So if this STA gets the greenlight, all they basically have to do is to turn down the power to 15 kW. That's it.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though the sale hasn't been approved yet it appears that Lockwood has already taken control of KAKE because at the bottom of KAKE's website it lists Lockwood Broadcasting Group as it's owner instead of Gray

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NewsHound
So it looks like Gray is planning to pull another KYLX/WZAW kind-of maneuvering. This time, it's in Augusta.

There's an STA pending right now for that new Class A LP they just bought (WBEK 16 (now under the calls WRDW-CD)), to move to the same transmitting facility that it's currently occupied by full-power station, WAGT.

Remember Gray is planning on turning off WAGT's full-power facility once the Schurz sale closes, and resell that spectrum in the incentive auction later this spring.

So if this STA gets the greenlight, all they basically have to do is to turn down the power to 15 kW. That's it.

Okay. The first part of the slews of apps regarding this deal have been given the greenlight.

The swap between Lockwood's WBXX & Gray's KAKE was approved today.

Apparently word through the grapevine is that WAGT is planning to file an injunction against Gray Television and WRDW from continuing with the sale. So far WRDW hasn't taken control of WAGT and they were supposed to today, in fact TitanTV guide also has reflected the change was supposed to happen today and hasn't.

WAGT is buying time and trying to fire back at anyone who talks about this (comments being deleted from Facebook, info being deleted from Wikipedia about it). It seems WAGT's damage control is say nothing about it, deny it, call out people who suggest it could be true as liars, and delete anything/ask for removal of anything that talks or considers that WRDW will take over WAGT. Instead of accept their fate, they are living in denial and fighting anyone who says the inevitable will happen.

According to one media source here locally, the FCC is behind because of inclement weather in Washington last week.

By next Monday, unless the possible injunction goes through, WRDW should be taking over WAGT and WAGT needs to face it and start planning their goodbye celebration.

Gray is at it again... They have developed an excellent brand of this. The KYLX case was incredible because they managed to do this without changing a single technical parameter.

What sort of grounds does WAGT have to file an injunction? (And why would WAGT, as Schurz, file an injunction? Do you mean WJBF?)

Gray is at it again... They have developed an excellent brand of this. The KYLX case was incredible because they managed to do this without changing a single technical parameter.

What sort of grounds does WAGT have to file an injunction? (And why would WAGT, as Schurz, file an injunction? Do you mean WJBF?)

Yeah, and even if it was WAGT or WJBF, why would they file an informal injunction/petition to deny this late? Isn't there a certain deadline in which you have to file an injunction? I think that time has passed to file in this proceeding.

It didn't take no more than a month for objectors to file a "petition of deny" of the KYES sale.

On a different note, call sign changes took place yesterday in Rapid City. KEVN is now KOTA. KOTA is now KHME.

(Interesting. The call signs switched back in the FCC database, but the changes are still in the call sign history).

Wikipedia says that KEVN is getting the ABC affiliation from KOTA. I thought KEVN was gonna launch ABC on a second digital subchannel. I'm so confused. If KEVN gets ABC on its main channel, then where will FOX end up?

Guest NewsHound

I'm just going by what I've heard through the media grapevine about WAGT. Honestly I don't think they can stop it at this point, its going to happen.

wb6tk2.jpg

Also, I found this on WRDW's website last week (it was taken down shortly afterwards).

Guest NewsHound
Well WAGTs mirrors WJBFs presently.....that is why they may change it. I am very discouraged about what is most likely going to happen to WAGT. I don't think any plans have been really revealed as to its fate.

Plans were revealed 2 weeks ago on WRDW's website with a February 1st launch. That is where I was able to snag that new logo, wish I had screenshot the entire page, as it was quickly taken down after WAGT found out about it.

Two weeks have gone by, and as of this morning WAGT continues to be like a resiliant cockroach, no matter how many times you hit it, it still seems to survive.

There is no telling at this point when or if WRDW and Gray will continue with their plans. As WAGT's newscasts continue to be riddled with technical gaffes and lack of on-air professionalism (last night's 11pm show was a complete disaster), one has to wonder how much longer this is going to go on for.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens NEXT Monday, and the Monday after that... Heck, lets wait and see what March looks like. Maybe they'll pull the trigger on April 1st and make everyone think it's an April Fools Joke.

I think WRDW and Gray have totally missed the boat here, and I also think WAGT is buying time and taking this "screw you, we're here" approach that continues to make me sick.

From Northpine:

Gray TV has quietly swapped some longtime Rapid City callsigns as it awaits FCC approval of its Black Hills TV merger and spinoff. The deal will result in Gray running both the ABC and FOX affiliations but only having one full-power TV license. The KOTA-TV callsign has been moved to Gray's channel 7, which was formerly KEVN. The station formerly known as KOTA-TV (RF channel 2, virtual channel 3) is now KHME, possibly referring to the MeTV affiliation that Legacy Broadcasting will retain when it takes over the station. The KEVN callsign continues on new low-power TV station KEVN-LD, channel 20. The FCC database says changes were official on Feb. 1. The deal, if approved by the FCC, calls for Gray to continue using virtual channel 3.1 for ABC programming under the KOTA-TV name despite selling the KHME license. As previously reported, Gray is divesting KHME and KHSD/11 (Lead) to Legacy for $1 and plans to switch longtime KOTA-TV satellites KDUH/4 (Scottsbluff, NE) and KSGW/12 (Sheridan, WY) to feeds of in-state Gray NBC affiliates.

This means KHME will move to virtual channel 2 (same as RF channel). That's what RabbitEars says.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=17688#station

I don't think the Augusta situation is the issue. What could hold up this deal is possibly that lingering JSA that's operating in Wichita (Entravision's KDCU, and Schurz's KWCH and KSCW (under a failed waiver)). Gray has asked to continue with the JSA until the old date to unwind it (12/19/16) but we all know Congress act to expand that period another nine years.

We all know Wheeler doesn't like JSAs, and as we saw in many previous deals, parties have voluntarily unwinded JSAs to get deals to go through, including Nexstar's recently completed deal to acquire Reiten's KX stations in North Dakota (they had a JSA with Forum's KBMY/KMCY)

Okay, yet another FCC movement involving this deal.

The FCC issued an NPRM (or a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking) regarding Gray's proposal to change the city of license of KDUH from Scottsbluff, NE to Sidney, NE. Gray previously announced that it would convert the station from a satellite of Rapid City's KOTA-TV, to a satellite of it's North Platte station, KNOP. It also planned to change its callsign to KNEP.

So basically it's in the comment phase of this proceeding. An if there aren't any objections upon this point, then the FCC would issue a Report & Order (R&O), effectively approving the COL change.

We haven't seen a COL change of a full-power station, since Hearst's WPTZ change its COL from North Pole, NY to Plattsburgh, NY, and that proceeding lasted a long time.

Archived