Gray TV acquiring Schurz

TheRob

The WAGT morning anchor posted the video to her personal facebook page

With all do respect. I get you are likey losing your job. But, what is the point of doing that. Honestly, if you truly felt people should complain to the FCC wouldn't several months ago been a better time to do that?

And with that, Gray is basically full of crap.

Huh? I'm not sure I follow your logic.

But do give Media General credit. At least they found a way for her to not only stay with the company but to also find a new job in a bigger market.

She likely saw the writing on the wall (ie: that she'd like be out of a job in a few months) and jumped on an open position that happened to be available. In other words she got lucky... She even alluded to that in her tweet. I'd bet good money that majority of the staff there was looking for a way out.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could set the precedent for what could happen down the road when Media General and Nexstar merge. Why a third party or an overlap period was not involved with WJBF/WAGT is beyond me.

This could happen in Roanoke, Fort Wayne, and maybe even the Quad Cities. And after what Sinclair did in Chattanooga under the FCC's nose, you can cram as many networks as you onto one signal just as long as you don't do it under the guise of a licensee!!!

With all do respect. I get you are likey losing your job. But, what is the point of doing that. Honestly, if you truly felt people should complain to the FCC wouldn't several months ago been a better time to do that?

Huh? I'm not sure I follow your logic.

She likely saw the writing on the wall (ie: that she'd like be out of a job in a few months) and jumped on an open position that happened to be available. In other words she got lucky... She even alluded to that in her tweet. I'd bet good money that majority of the staff there was looking for a way out.

It's because Gray blamed Media General for the job losses.

Below is a WAGT employees response disputing what Gray put out today. Something shady happened and people are still in the dark.

I've been getting a lot of questions today about what happened to NBC 26 and how it affects me. I appreciate your concern and also wanted to give you some answers. You may have some of these questions below, so here are the answers:

1: What happened to NBC 26 News (WAGT)?

Shortly after midnight Tuesday morning, Gray Television, owner of WRDW News 12 took over WAGT's signal. They are now controlling programming on what used to be NBC 26. WRDW has chosen to simulcast their news content on WAGT instead of continuing to operate a separate news product, as WAGT and WJBF had done for the past six years. Media General, owner of WJBF, and Schurz Communications, owner of WAGT agreed in late 2009 to allow Media General to manage programming and news for WAGT through at least Dec. 31, 2019. What happened today apparently breaches that contractual agreement, and Media General (owner of WJBF) is fighting this in the courts.

2. Have you been fired?

No, thankfully! Media Genera/WJBF management is working on plans to keep as many of our jobs in tact as possible.

3: Will I see Rich or other NBC 26 talent on WRDW News 12?

It's highly unlikely! Despite what you may have heard or read elsewhere, WRDW never intended to "bring us over" but to simply simulcast their news on WAGT. WRDW management has made no effort to communicate with any NBC 26 on-air talent (or those behind the scenes, to my knowledge).

4. Will I see Rich or other NBC 26 talent on WJBF NewsChannel 6?

Yes! Some of our on-air staff has already appeared on NewsChannel 6 this afternoon and evening. Until we know more, we are working to supplement WJBF's existing news resources.

5. Why was there no mention of this change prior to today?

That's what I'd like to know! We first learned of this potential merger in September 2015, but Media General and Gray/Schurz have differing views of contractual agreements between Media General and Schurz (see #1).

6. Is Rich free to work elsewhere?

Yes! Despite what you may have read on social media, my bosses have made it clear that they will work with us if we choose to find employment elsewhere. I'm looking at all viable options, including the possibility of staying on at Television Park.

Thank you all for reading. I hope this helps you to better understand what has happened. I have enjoyed working for WAGT/NBC 26 for the past 9.5 years. I'm thankful that Jeff Rucker worked hard to open up a door for me covering a topic I enjoy--the weather. In the meantime, you can keep up with me at Meteorologist Rich Rogers!

It's because Gray blamed Media General for the job losses.

One person happened to find a way out prior to the shit officially hitting the fan. I wouldn't read too much into that as far as who is "responsible" for any job losses. If you really want to assign "blame" all three parties (MG, Gray & Schurz) should share that distinction.

Let's be honest a good chunk of people will likely be out of work in short order. MG ran two separate news operations in Augusta. And, I highly doubt they maintain the staffing level now that they only have one news operation to support.

Dispite the public spin about which entity (MG or Gray) is being screwed over, the only people that are truly being screwed are the MG employees who will lose their jobs and the viewers in Augusta. The spin from both parties is just noise.

In most of these JSA/SSA cases, "programming" is handled by the licensee and "news" is handled by the operator. This is the biggest and most obvious loophole that these deals exploit since news is the most visible programming a station offers and the licensee is a stooge to let the operator use their airwaves to their liking. In this case, the licensee was sold to the rival operator, while the operator disputed their right to transfer operation.

This is just my thought, but in the end, either NBC or the CW will end up as a subchannel on WJBF as a form of settlement. The most pressing issue now is that stations are sidestepping the FCC to use their existing license to cram as many program streams on to any one station...robbing others of them (as in WKPT losing ABC to WJHL) creating a much more destructive situation that leaves viewers with even fewer choices and lower quality, and companies to increase their market share....and there's not a thing the FCC can do about it. And the less that is done will only hasten the demise of broadcast television and force it off the airwaves and into other mediums that are free of regulation.

... creating a much more destructive situation that leaves viewers with even fewer choices and lower quality, and companies to increase their market share....and there's not a thing the FCC can do about it. And the less that is done will only hasten the demise of broadcast television and force it off the airwaves and into other mediums that are free of regulation.

It is in the FCC's best interest to let these deals go through. If enough stations go on ahead and return their licenses to the FCC, that is less they have to pay the broadcasters in the incentive auction. Even in situations where the station is sold to speculators, it solves the FCC's issue of repacking, since two legacy stations are already on one license.

Once Wheeler (a former cable/Wireless lobbyist) took over as FCC chair, and with the Spectrum Auction/Reallocation essentially a Congressional mandate, it was just a matter of time before these kinds of deals started appearing. IHMO, the reason JSA's/SSA's were banned wasn't to improve competition, but instead as a way to force Broadcasters to do what Gray is doing, with the added perk that the FCC doesn't have to pay the broadcasters.

Now that Gray/Schurz deal is in the books, there's just a few questions that haven't been asked yet: What about the fate of Schurz's newspapers, including The South Bend Tribune? Are they going to be sold?

That remains with Schurz. All newspapers in fact remains with Schurz.

Now that Gray/Schurz deal is in the books, there's just a few questions that haven't been asked yet: What about the fate of Schurz's newspapers, including The South Bend Tribune? Are they going to be sold?

As of now, Schurz hasn't announced if they're going to sell the Tribune or any other papers. Schurz did sell its Kentucky newspapers late last year.

But I have a better question. Who now owns that new Mishawaka facility, since you now have three different owners occupy that same facility (Schurz (corporate offices & Tribune), Sinclair (Channel 22) & Mid-West Family Broadcasting (WSBT Radio Group))? Does Schurz still own that building or Sinclair?

Regarding all the anger, two key points:

* WAGT was not an independent news operation. It was heavily influenced by and operated by WJBF.

* If they were so concerned about that station, why was it a distant third in ratings? It was always being creamed by WJBF and WRDW.

* WAGT was not an independent news operation. It was heavily influenced by and operated by WJBF.

* If they were so concerned about that station, why was it a distant third in ratings? It was always being creamed by WJBF and WRDW.

Now that's something that I don't understand. Why would people complain about WAGT's team when they are already on WJBF most of the time and two, why would they complain so much about losing WAGT news when they've always been third in history behind, what you've already mentioned, WJBF and WRDW?

Now that's something that I don't understand. Why would people complain about WAGT's team when they are already on WJBF most of the time and two, why would they complain so much about losing WAGT news when they've always been third in history behind, what you've already mentioned, WJBF and WRDW?

I can see why they do, but at the same time, I can't.

What will happen to KDCU? Will their newscasts be canceled?

This means NBC programming will stay on WAGT (with a full-power signal), the (somewhat bare bones) news department will be retained, and hopefully the station won't go dark (but will go to a reputable owner - not a shell company).

I'll be shocked if KDCU's newscasts continue. But, the good news is the public has been rid of one of those "yucky" JSAs. So, it's a win, right? /Sarcasm.

Umm...I think you are misunderstanding. WAGT as it now exists will eventually move to WAGT-CD lock, stock and barrel. The full power license will either be returned to the FCC or otherwise divested post auction. Gray just gets the luxury of keeping & operating the full power license until the auction concludes. And, MG employed the news staff. "Best" case scenario is the full power license isn't returned in the auction and acquired by another party. But, given they will only be acquiring the license and transmitter you'll end up a KNHL, KNDB, KNDM, KRDK, etc. situation.

It is in the FCC's best interest to let these deals go through. If enough stations go on ahead and return their licenses to the FCC, that is less they have to pay the broadcasters in the incentive auction. Even in situations where the station is sold to speculators, it solves the FCC's issue of repacking, since two legacy stations are already on one license.

Once Wheeler (a former cable/Wireless lobbyist) took over as FCC chair, and with the Spectrum Auction/Reallocation essentially a Congressional mandate, it was just a matter of time before these kinds of deals started appearing. IHMO, the reason JSA's/SSA's were banned wasn't to improve competition, but instead as a way to force Broadcasters to do what Gray is doing, with the added perk that the FCC doesn't have to pay the broadcasters.

To piggyback on this. It also had/has the side effect of "pumping the brakes" on ever increasing purchase prices for stations. And, slow down the rapid consolidation that was/is taking place.

The NPRM proposing to eliminate the UHF Discount was done for the same reason. And, they have done nothing since then. The UHF Discount still exists. But, they needed to throw the threat out there to slow everyone down.

I can see why they do, but at the same time, I can't.

Ummm...Guys WAGT was run separate from WJBF under MG. They maintained separate newsrooms, separate sales teams and each had their own news director and local sales manager. They reported to a common GM but, it was essentially run as 2 separate stations under one roof. The only "shared" functions were back-end things like engineering and video pooling. However, video pooling happens with stations under common ownership (or, control) so I wouldn't necessarily attribute that to the JSA or SSA.

To the best of my knowledge the talent from either WAGT or WJBF didn't (or, very rarely) crossed over to the other station. I'm sure JrNewsIntern could confirm or deny this.

Augusta effectively lost a news operation (or, half of one depending on your view I guess) this week. And, if you think Gray is going to set up (or, intended to set up) a separate newsroom for WAGT I have some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you. The best Gray will likely do (and, likely all they intended to do) is hire a few anchors that would be exclusive to WAGT.

But, hey Augusta has been rid of one of those "yucky" JSAs. So, they are better off now, right? /Sarcasm.

Guest NewsHound
I'll be shocked if KDCU's newscasts continue. But, the good news is the public has been rid of one of those "yucky" JSAs. So, it's a win, right? /Sarcasm.

Umm...I think you are misunderstanding. WAGT as it now exists will eventually move to WAGT-CD lock, stock and barrel. The full power license will either be returned to the FCC or otherwise divested post auction. Gray just gets the luxury of keeping & operating the full power license until the auction concludes. And, MG employed the news staff. "Best" case scenario is the full power license isn't returned in the auction and acquired by another party. But, given they will only be acquiring the license and transmitter you'll end up a KNHL, KNDB, KNDM, KRDK, etc. situation.

To piggyback on this. It also had/has the side effect of "pumping the brakes" on ever increasing purchase prices for stations. And, slow down the rapid consolidation that was/is taking place.

The NPRM proposing to eliminate the UHF Discount was done for the same reason. And, they have done nothing since then. The UHF Discount still exists. But, they needed to throw the threat out there to slow everyone down.

Ummm...Guys WAGT was run separate from WJBF under MG. They maintained separate newsrooms, separate sales teams and each had their own news director and local sales manager. They reported to a common GM but, it was essentially run as 2 separate stations under one roof. The only "shared" functions were back-end things like engineering and video pooling. However, video pooling happens with stations under common ownership (or, control) so I wouldn't necessarily attribute that to the JSA or SSA.

To the best of my knowledge the talent from either WAGT or WJBF didn't (or, very rarely) crossed over to the other station. I'm sure JrNewsIntern could confirm or deny this.

Augusta effectively lost a news operation (or, half of one depending on your view I guess) this week. And, if you think Gray is going to set up (or, intended to set up) a separate newsroom for WAGT I have some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you. The best Gray will likely do (and, likely all they intended to do) is hire a few anchors that would be exclusive to WAGT.

But, hey Augusta has been rid of one of those "yucky" JSAs. So, they are better off now, right? /Sarcasm.

WAGT and WJBF on-air staff never crossed paths in the 5 years of the JSA. A few of WJBF's people went to WAGT and vice versa but those were permanent moves. Both stations also reported most of the same stories but had a reporter from each respective station report the same story.

WAGT and WJBF on-air staff never crossed paths in the 5 years of the JSA. A few of WJBF's people went to WAGT and vice versa but those were permanent moves. Both stations also reported most of the same stories but had a reporter from each respective station report the same story.

I actually notice that every now and then the meteorologists may but not often the reporters and anchors.

Archived