Gray TV acquiring Schurz

TheRob

Guest NewsHound
Maybe the simplest solution is for Gray to sell WAGT? But to whom?

The only thing that comes to mind is the Nexstar shell, Mission Broadcasting. The reason? Media General.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BREAKING NEWS!!!

The FCC has greenlighted the Gray/Schurz deal.

Some key points:

• Gray will have one year to terminate it's JSA (or "come into compliance with the rule") between KWCH & Entravision's KDCU.
  • Gray is allowed to own both WRDW & WAGT during the auction process, but was ordered NOT to turn off WAGT's full power signal. It was also ordered operate both stations separately, maintain it's programming & not have a JSA tied-in with WRDW. They were also ordered to file a paperwork to assign WAGT to a divestiture trust (that's only if the license is not surrendered during auction).
  • Gray was also allowed to own it's own KSTF & KDUH, while the change of COL of KDUH to Sidney, NE is in the comment phase (NPRM).

BREAKING NEWS!!!

The FCC has greenlighted the Gray/Schurz deal.

Some key points:

• Gray will have one year to terminate it's JSA (or "come into compliance with the rule") between KWCH & Entravision's KDCU.
  • Gray is allowed to own both WRDW & WAGT during the auction process, but was ordered NOT to turn of WAGT's full power signal. It was also ordered operate both stations separately, maintain it's programming & not have a JSA tied-in with WRDW. They were also ordered to file a paperwork to assign WAGT to a divestiture trust (that's only if the license is not surrendered during auction).
  • Gray was also allowed to own it's own KSTF & KDUH, while the change of COL of KDUH to Sidney, NE is in the comment phase (NPRM).

Well finally a station that doesn't have to shut down its full-power signal! Gray has done too much of that (KXJB, WFXS are examples that I can think of)

Gray will have one year to terminate it's JSA (or "come into compliance with the rule") between KWCH & Entravision's KDCU.

What will happen to KDCU? Will their newscasts be canceled?

Gray is allowed to own both WRDW & WAGT during the auction process, but was ordered NOT to turn off WAGT's full power signal. It was also ordered operate both stations separately, maintain it's programming & not have a JSA tied-in with WRDW. They were also ordered to file a paperwork to assign WAGT to a divestiture trust (that's only if the license is not surrendered during auction).

This means NBC programming will stay on WAGT (with a full-power signal), the (somewhat bare bones) news department will be retained, and hopefully the station won't go dark (but will go to a reputable owner - not a shell company).

What will happen to KDCU? Will their newscasts be canceled?

No, in theory, it would not affect newscasts. I think KDCU (Entravision) would need to generate a certain percentage of the sales itself, rather than Gray doing the work.

No, in theory, it would not affect newscasts. I think KDCU (Entravision) would need to generate a certain percentage of the sales itself, rather than Gray doing the work.

Entravision could opt to continue an SSA with Gray to allow the latter to continue the production of the newscasts.

I do not see Entravision starting a news operation of its own in Wichita, however, given its recent track record of cuts to news operations at its stations around the country.

http://adweek.it/1VkUrHC#.VsOdRLijBd0.mailto

Interesting article. Gray blaming MG for the blunder.

" When asked about being blamed for the job losses, a Media General spokesperson told TVSpy, 'We prefer not to comment on matters that are the subject of pending litigation. "

I find that comment interesting. Is MG considering legal action against Gray ?

" When asked about being blamed for the job losses, a Media General spokesperson told TVSpy, 'We prefer not to comment on matters that are the subject of pending litigation. "

I find that comment interesting. Is MG considering legal action against Gray ?

Yes. They already filed suit. However, MG requested voluntary dismissal. The presiding judge dismissed the case without prejudice on 2/4/16. So, I think safe assumption is they (or, are in the process of) negotiated a private settlement.

Also, it's good to see two of those "yucky" JSAs are done with with the closing of this deal. And, that those JSA waivers are easily able to be obtained when in the public interest. /Sarcasm.

Archived