Gray TV acquiring Schurz

TheRob

They own WFXG. I don't think they can do it.

Someone needs to step in to resolve the confusion. I'm reminded of a saga that took place in North Carolina radio in the 90s that resulted in two stations broadcasting on the same frequency in the same town for 12 hours.

Most likely it would need to be some C-tier group like Bonten, Lockwood or Heartland Media that takes over, given the market size and stature.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NewsHound
One word. TEGNA.

Doubtful. TEGNA may have stations in Macon and Atlanta, but I doubt they would be interested in Augusta. I'd say Sinclair before I said TEGNA.

OK, so it would be feasible to permanently wall off WJBF from WAGT.

With some renovation, it's possible.

To the best of my knowledge that building was designed so the two operations (WJBF & WAGT) were mostly separate. They each have/had separate studios, newsrooms and sales areas. So, hypotheticallty if another party (like, WFXG) moved into Television Park in a tenant situation vs. SSA it shouldn't require much work to separate the spaces.

Of course such a hypothetical is predicated on Gray assuming complete and total control of WAGT relocating it to WDRW's facilities. And, MG and Raycom working out some new agreement (either, SSA or tenant) from scratch.

How can they still use the NBC logo and branding when they're no longer an NBC affiliate? Cue the cease and desist letter ...

WAGT is still the NBC affiliate. The disagreement is over who should should be in control of the station's operations, Gray or MG (due to the JSA/SSA).

If Media General was granted an injunction (which looks to be the case) keeping the JSA/SSAs in force then they'd likely be able to use them as well. The JSA/SSAs are going to allow or grant them the ability to use the WAGT calls, trademarks, etc. in order to carry out their obligations under the agreements. So, you now end up with the clusterfuck of a situation whereby two different entities are using the marks and calls.

With regards to WAGT being sold. The chances of that happening are slim to none. Gray bought WAGT and subsequently acquired a low-power license they could "move" the station to so they could have a duopoly. They didn't even bother to ask the commission if they could keep the JSA/SSA during a "transition" period. Hindsight being 20/20 they really should have done that as that would have avoided (or, midigated) the mess that is now taking place but, I digress.

The point is Gray wanted (and still wants) WAGT in order to create a duopoly. I don't see them selling. And, even if they did sell the new party would potentially be bound to the JSA/SSA. And, that's the issue at hand right now. The JSA/SSA essentially States that the agreement transfers to any subsequent owner(s) in the event of a sale. And, if MG still thinks they are vaild agreements (and, the court agrees) then what?

"Best case" scenario is that the full power license for WAGT isn't returned back to the FCC in the incentive auction and is sold to a 3rd party. And, it would likely be someone like SagamoreHill or Legacy Broadcasting. Either party could just enter into a new SSA with MG/WJBF for operation. Although, wihout a major network affilation for said station the second newsroom MG is running in Augusta would pretty much be dead.

Gray owns (and barring something unforseen) will continue to own "NBC 26". And, " NBC 26" will eventually move to WAGT-CD. Also, Gray will eventually (barring something unforseen) assume complete and total control of " NBC 26"... That may be tomorrow, next week, next month, next year or in 2020 when the JSA/SSAs end...but, it will eventually happen.

The only real questions are:

1.Are the JSA/SSAs still valid? This would go a long ways in determing who is responsible for operating "NBC 26".

2.What will happen to the full power WAGT license? Will it be returned to the FCC in the auction or sold to a third party?

They own WFXG. I don't think they can do it.

Someone needs to step in to resolve the confusion. I'm reminded of a saga that took place in North Carolina radio in the 90s that resulted in two stations broadcasting on the same frequency in the same town for 12 hours.

Raycom's sidecar American Spirit could acquire WAGT, or Raycom could acquire sell WFXG to American Spirit and acquire WAGT outright.

Guest NewsHound

I guess we will wait and see what happens after it goes before a judge.

Meanwhile, WRDW's master control is starting to fail from the overload of running both stations. Both stations went off the air last week for a brief period due to transmitter failure.

There is also a ton of glitches on local advertising spots and syndicated programming on WAGT and WRDW both that just started to happen within the last week.

Guest NewsHound
To the best of my knowledge that building was designed so the two operations (WJBF & WAGT) were mostly separate. They each have/had separate studios, newsrooms and sales areas. So, hypotheticallty if another party (like, WFXG) moved into Television Park in a tenant situation vs. SSA it shouldn't require much work to separate the spaces.

I wish that were the case but if WJBF wanted to run an entirely separate operation from someone like WFXG or from another tenant then Television Park would need to be renovated. The building shares a lobby, management/sales areas, newsroom, weather office, and editing bays. The only thing that is separate in that building is the studios themselves. Sure, the building could be split down the middle to make 2 separate spaces, but it would require renovation in all the areas except the studios.

What could be interesting if Media General prevails....and after the Nexstar sale closes, they cheap out and pull what Gray is doing now....by dumping lots of WAGT staff and rolling the duties over to WJBF staffers.

But without a station and and affiliation to do things on....that's a bit of a problem. How can you call yourselves a station when you don't hold the affiliation or license? You have a news department, sales, and operations staff....for what?

This will be likely resolved with a financial settlement for the existing contract....and maybe forcing WAGT to a third party that could restore the JSA/SSA to keep it running. Gray getting this station as it did should have NEVER happened.

What could be interesting if Media General prevails....and after the Nexstar sale closes, they cheap out and pull what Gray is doing now....by dumping lots of WAGT staff and rolling the duties over to WJBF staffers.

But without a station and and affiliation to do things on....that's a bit of a problem. How can you call yourselves a station when you don't hold the affiliation or license? You have a news department, sales, and operations staff....for what?

It's exactly what the station groups are gunning for.

A " Virtual TV Station"....sans the expensive power hungry transmitter...and the highly regulated license.

They are all banking on YOU the viewer following them to the new "platforms".

Like little lambs to slaughter...the stations will sell off spectrum for operating cash in a desperate bid to transition legacy viewers to IP based viewing.

Your stupid little phones will rack up data charges...free tv will die.

TV transmitters will shut off...except where required for ebs/eas coverage.

TV is killing it's self.

Guest NewsHound
It's exactly what the station groups are gunning for.

A " Virtual TV Station"....sans the expensive power hungry transmitter...and the highly regulated license.

They are all banking on YOU the viewer following them to the new "platforms".

Like little lambs to slaughter...the stations will sell off spectrum for operating cash in a desperate bid to transition legacy viewers to IP based viewing.

Your stupid little phones will rack up data charges...free tv will die.

TV transmitters will shut off...except where required for ebs/eas coverage.

TV is killing it's self.

I don't know about the slaughtering lambs stuff but I think this may actually be the SMARTEST thing you've ever said.

Guest NewsHound
The Gray-powered WAGT site is now blank.

You begin to wonder what will happen come Monday...

Probably nothing. Nothing will probably happen until the court stuff is done.

Raycom's sidecar American Spirit could acquire WAGT, or Raycom could acquire sell WFXG to American Spirit and acquire WAGT outright.

Gray owns WAGT and barring something massively unforseen they aren't selling it. The one minor exception is that WAGT's full power license might be sold if it is not returned to the FCC in the auction. But, all such a buyer would be getting is the license.

The Gray-powered WAGT site is now blank.

You begin to wonder what will happen come Monday...

Based on (the MG run) WAGT Facebook page, it looks like the MG run newscasts are back on the air (and not just via webcasts.)

Based on the article last Friday, a federal Judge has agreed on a hearing regarding WAGT, which will take place this Thursday.

Gray tried to get that injunction thrown out, but was declined.

What does this mean for somebody who doesn't live in Augusta? A very confusing mess. Now I don't even know if WAGT is running WRDW's news or WAGT (in reality, WJBF)'s news.

And how would NBC react?

That's a good question.

Has or is NBC been damaged so far?

The rouge players are claiming some kind of contract to year 2020. The judge threw out the injunction...but it's not clear (here) on the details of that request.

Looks like we got us a mini-Waco brewing...call Janet Reno.

I wish that were the case but if WJBF wanted to run an entirely separate operation from someone like WFXG or from another tenant then Television Park would need to be renovated. The building shares a lobby, management/sales areas, newsroom, weather office, and editing bays. The only thing that is separate in that building is the studios themselves. Sure, the building could be split down the middle to make 2 separate spaces, but it would require renovation in all the areas except the studios.

I was basing my knowledge off a TVNewsCheck article from a few years back that stated: "We’ve got two local sales departments on opposite sides of the building,” says Bill Stewart, who runs the combined operation. Likewise, he says, the facility features separate newsrooms with dedicated studios and control rooms. The stations share a third studio for local programs and commercial production." So, I guess they aren't quite as separate as the article implies and/or there is a lot of "common space" between them. Either way thanks for the clarifying.

Based on the article last Friday, a federal Judge has agreed on a hearing regarding WAGT, which will take place this Thursday.

Gray tried to get that injunction thrown out, but was declined.

Thanks for posting that article. That sheds a little bit more insight into what's going on. First, that confirms MG was offered the opportunity to buy WAGT per the "right of first refusal" terms in the JSA/SSA and they declined. Second, that confirmed that MG did indeed receive a preliminary injunction last week from the Richmond County Superior Court and the Federal Judge let that injunction stand.

What does this mean for somebody who doesn't live in Augusta? A very confusing mess. Now I don't even know if WAGT is running WRDW's news or WAGT (in reality, WJBF)'s news.

Based on everything to date. It appears that MG was granted an injunction last week by the Richmond County Superior Court (at least temporarily) keeping the the JSA/SSAs in force (or, restoring them depending on your point of view.) It appears as though MG "took back the keys" yesterday and is now again providing their news programming (and, ad sales) on WAGT...this is based on comments on the (MG run) WAGT Facebook page.

Second, it's been stated many times and reiterated within this thread that WAGT under MG maintained a separate newsroom with a separate ND, on air talent, etc. And, there was/is very little crossover between the two. So, it wasn't/isn't just a copy of WJBF's newscasts. Nor, was/is WJBF "running" their newsroom.

And how would NBC react?

Why would NBC care? And, their programming is still being cleared at the same time on the exact same channel.

I was basing my knowledge off a TVNewsCheck article from a few years back that stated: "We’ve got two local sales departments on opposite sides of the building,” says Bill Stewart, who runs the combined operation. Likewise, he says, the facility features separate newsrooms with dedicated studios and control rooms. The stations share a third studio for local programs and commercial production." So, I guess they aren't quite as separate as the article implies and/or there is a lot of "common space" between them. Either way thanks for the clarifying.

Thanks for posting that article. That sheds a little bit more insight into what's going on. First, that confirms MG was offered the opportunity to buy WAGT per the "right of first refusal" terms in the JSA/SSA and they declined. Second, that confirmed that MG did indeed receive a preliminary injunction last week from the Richmond County Superior Court and the Federal Judge let that injunction stand.

Based on everything to date. It appears that MG was granted an injunction last week by the Richmond County Superior Court (at least temporarily) keeping the the JSA/SSAs in force (or, restoring them depending on your point of view.) It appears as though MG "took back the keys" yesterday and is now again providing their news programming (and, ad sales) on WAGT...this is based on comments on the (MG run) WAGT Facebook page.

Second, it's been stated many times and reiterated within this thread that WAGT under MG maintained a separate newsroom with a separate ND, on air talent, etc. And, there was/is very little crossover between the two. So, it wasn't/isn't just a copy of WJBF's newscasts. Nor, was/is WJBF "running" their newsroom.

Why would NBC care? And, their programming is still being cleared at the same time on the exact same channel.

If MG wins the fight, then how would everything play out? WAGT would be without a legal owner, since MG (and, by extension, Nexstar) cannot own both WAGT and WJBF, and Schurz no longer exists.

If MG wins the fight, then how would everything play out? WAGT would be without a legal owner, since MG (and, by extension, Nexstar) cannot own both WAGT and WJBF, and Schurz no longer exists.

WAGT is owned by Gray. MG is simply seeking to keep the JSA/SSA in force.

Schurz is still around. Their sole station is KSPR in Springfield (they bought the station outright from Perkin Media).

Archived