Gray TV acquiring Schurz

TheRob

Guest NewsHound
I actually notice that every now and then the meteorologists may but not often the reporters and anchors.

I've never seen the meteorologists go between stations and I live in the market.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KOTA only announced about the upcoming changes to it's Scottsbluff station, KDUH (the callsign has yet to be changed to KNEP). But I haven't found anything about the new channel assignments for Rapid City.

But looking at the Rapid City's Me-TV channel lineup tonight, Legacy Broadcasting's KHME (formerly KOTA-TV, physical ch. 2) is using virtual channel 23.1. And it's satellite in Lead (KQME physical 10) is using 5.1. This TV is on their .2s.

The new LP station Gray just bought (KEVN-LD, which uses physical ch. 23), is using virtual ch. 7.

And the station that was KEVN-TV (which is now using the KOTA-TV callsign, physical ch. 7) is now using virtual ch. 3.

With channel changes/reshuffling like this, one would be wise to inform the public that they may have to rescan their tuners. Only the Me-TV Rapid City website did.

bkkZgDc.png

Guest NewsHound
KOTA only announced about the upcoming changes to it's Scottsbluff station, KDUH (the callsign has yet to be changed to KNEP). But I haven't found anything about the new channel assignments for Rapid City.

But looking at the Rapid City's Me-TV channel lineup tonight, Legacy Broadcasting's KHME (formerly KOTA-TV, physical ch. 2) is using virtual channel 23.1. And it's satellite in Lead (KQME physical 10) is using 5.1. This TV is on their .2s.

Physical ch. 23 is used by the new LP station Gray bought (KEVN-LD), and it's now using virtual ch. 7.

And the station that was KEVN-TV (which is now using the callsign KOTA, physical 7) is now using virtual ch. 3.

With channel changes/reshuffling like this, one would be wise to inform the public that they may have to rescan their tuners. Only the Me-TV Rapid City website did.

bkkZgDc.png

That's overwhelmingly confusing.

That's overwhelmingly confusing.

Let me try to simplifly it this way "OLD > NEW".

• KOTA > KHME - 3.1 (2) > 23.1 (2) - ABC > MeTV
  • KEVN > KOTA - 7.1 (7) > 3.1 (7) - Fox > ABC
  • KIVN > KEVN - 23.1 (23) > 7.1 (23) - Silent > Fox

So they obviously did it this way so it would prevent confusion for the viewers. So ABC would still be mapped at 3.1 (on a better VHF signal) & Fox at 7.1 (albeit on a LP signal). The only noticeable change is that viewers will now see MeTV/This TV on a new virtual channel they're not familiar with and that's 23.1.

Sinclair did this same maneuvering in the Fall of 2014, when they bought the non-licensed assets of KSNV in Vegas and switched its callsigns & virtual chs. with KVMY. But in this case, the virtual channels were switched three ways.

Because Scripps

Long before Scripps; WGBA's had NBC26.com since 1997 and were the first with a more than 'bios and TV listings' site in the Green Bay market.

Unless WAGT wants to switch to "26NBC" for branding though, reversing it for the web address makes no sense at all. Gray should just suck up their pride and pay MG the money to get their old addresses back. Or else pay the domain parker at NBC26Augusta.com whatever they want to get that one.

Okay. I do not understand this.

Yesterday, The Augusta Chronicle posted that a judge placed an injunction on the WAGT sale, yet Gray has already completed the sale on the 16th.

Wouldn't it been wise to take this approach, while the deal was waiting for regulatory approval, instead of waiting until the deal gets completed and then pursue this avenue.

Okay. I do not understand this.

Yesterday, The Augusta Chronicle posted that a judge placed an injunction on the WAGT sale, yet Gray has already completed the sale on the 16th.

Wouldn't it been wise to take this approach, while the deal was waiting for regulatory approval, instead of waiting until the deal gets completed and then pursue this avenue.

The headline and first paragraph of that article make no sense and contradict the last paragraph where they author acknowledges that the Gray States they closed a couple weeks ago. So, did Gray really close? Are they really seeking to un-do the sale? Or, something else and the author is simply misunderanding what is going on?

Anyway, FWIW My understanding has been that MG has been seeking to keep the JSA/SSA in force. I don't think they can/could really stop the sale. However, it should be noted that as part of the JSA MG also had a (30 day, I beleive) right of first refusal to purchase WAGT should Schurz opt to sell. So, they could be seeking relief there as well if they weren't given that right.

IDK the whole thing thing is kind of a mess. It will probably end with some settlement where some cash is exchanged. And, as I've already said in this thread the only people getting screwed are the viewers in Augusta and the MG employees that will likely be laid off as a result.

Guest NewsHound
The headline and first paragraph of that article make no sense and contradict the last paragraph where they author acknowledges that the Gray States they closed a couple weeks ago. So, did Gray really close? Are they really seeking to un-do the sale? Or, something else and the author is simply misunderanding what is going on?

Anyway, FWIW My understanding has been that MG has been seeking to keep the JSA/SSA in force. I don't think they can/could really stop the sale. However, it should be noted that as part of the JSA MG also had a (30 day, I beleive) right of first refusal to purchase WAGT should Schurz opt to sell. So, they could be seeking relief there as well if they weren't given that right.

IDK the whole thing thing is kind of a mess. It will probably end with some settlement where some cash is exchanged. And, as I've already said in this thread the only people getting screwed are the viewers in Augusta and the MG employees that will likely be laid off as a result.

If I said it once I've said it a thousand times, Raycom should get WFXG in with WJBF. They've been looking for larger studio space for years and obviously the Savannah outsourced newscast isn't working for them. This way they get a larger studio and local people to boot. It's a win-win deal if WJBF and MG want to keep a JSA/SSA going.

If I said it once I've said it a thousand times, Raycom should get WFXG in with WJBF. They've been looking for larger studio space for years and obviously the Savannah outsourced newscast isn't working for them. This way they get a larger studio and local people to boot. It's a win-win deal if WJBF and MG want to keep a JSA/SSA going.

A news share agreement might make more sense in that regard, but as far as a JSA/SSA with WJBF, I doubt that's likely even though Raycom has SSA arrangements with Tegna in Tucson and Scripps in Boise and West Palm. A spinoff of WJBF isn't possible since Nexstar has no existing conflicts in Augusta to necessitate including it among the MG stations it has to sell, and even then, none of Nexstar's LMA/SSA arrangements involve pure-play broadcast owners that don't operate as its shells... not since those involving WLYH and WUHF got transferred to Sinclair's partner groups.

Guest NewsHound

BREAKING: Media General's WAGT is back in production, online-only. The social media accounts for "NBC 26" and the old website NBC26.tv is back in full production.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=993082814108934

After what seems to be a 2-3 week hiatus, they returned from the dead this morning. No word or comment from WRDW about any of this, but the timing is extremely weird to say the least. They INTEND to be back on the air soon...

Yeah we'll see about that...

What's now even more awkward is that we seem to have 2 NBC 26 stations. One run by Gray over the air tied in with WRDW, and the old one in an online-only form. Also, 2 separate websites that look oddly similar. God this is a mess.

Gray's WAGT - http://www.26nbc.com

MG's WAGT - http://www.nbc26.tv

BREAKING: Media General's WAGT is back in production, online-only. The social media accounts for "NBC 26" and the old website NBC26.tv is back in full production.

After what seems to be a 2-3 week hiatus, they returned from the dead this morning. No word or comment from WRDW about any of this, but the timing is extremely weird to say the least. They INTEND to be back on the air soon...

What's now even more awkward is that we seem to have 2 NBC 26 stations. One run by Gray over the air tied in with WRDW, and the old one in an online-only form. Also, 2 separate websites that look oddly similar. God this is a mess.

Based on a quick search of the Richmond County Superior Court site it appears as though Media General's request for a preliminary injunction was granted yesterday.

Why is the lower third red instead of the morning package?

Guest NewsHound
This station is managed by one group, owned by another, and both have their own stations in that same market to deal with.

Just find another group and end the headaches.

One word. RAYCOM.

What a mess this Augusta market really is.

Agreed.

Based on a quick search of the Richmond County Superior Court site it appears as though Media General's request for a preliminary injunction was granted yesterday.

Well that would explain them back online this morning

Why is the lower third red instead of the morning package?

Well this is the first day they've been on air in 3 weeks, I don't expect it to be perfect.

Guest NewsHound
They own WFXG. I don't think they can do it.

Someone needs to step in to resolve the confusion. I'm reminded of a saga that took place in North Carolina radio in the 90s that resulted in two stations broadcasting on the same frequency in the same town for 12 hours.

I know they own WFXG, but WFXG doesn't have a local news department (which management wants because the outsourced WTOC newscasts aren't working) and doesn't have a big enough studio (which they've needed for years). WFXG leasing space and taking over the contracts of WAGT people, it could happen.

I know they own WFXG, but WFXG doesn't have a local news department (which management wants because the outsourced WTOC newscasts aren't working) and doesn't have a big enough studio (which they've needed for years). WFXG leasing space and taking over the contracts of WAGT people, it could happen.

How much space do they share with WJBF at Television Park? That's not a terribly tenable situation either.

Guest NewsHound
How much space do they share with WJBF at Television Park? That's not a terribly tenable situation either.

Exactly half.

Guest NewsHound
OK, so it would be feasible to permanently wall off WJBF from WAGT.

With some renovation, it's possible.

Archived