WPXI getting a new set

Breaking News

As The Sets Turns...Cox owned Channel 11 in Pittsburgh has moved to temporary set. The debut of the new set will be in late October.

When will the big dog WSB start on their set? So many stations have new sets this year who else is getting a new set?

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2015/09/17/pittsburgh-station-moves-to-temporary-set/

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cox must be flush with cash to be upgrading all these sets at once. It's not like they are pulling a Sinclair or Hearst where all the sets are basically the same but with different layouts. But rather Cox seems to begins the bespoke route at different stations.

I imagine WFTV set put them back at least a $1,000,000.

Cox really seems to dislike standardization- perhaps it's because they're family owned? The closest they've gotten was having one GFX pack used in the mid 90s by WHIO, KIRO, and WFTV- otherwise it's only the blue and gold color combo that's even somewhat consistent.

Very excited to see what they get. The old one was old and needed to go. I'm curious to see if they keep the newsroom view.

I think they had the newest complete set (not a refreshed old set) in the market...

Just sayin'.

Regardless, the Pittsburgh market is in need of new sets all around.

I'm guessing WSB and WHIO are next, both are Cox flagship stations that have been owned since their existence. I know WSB has had their set since 06 and WHIO has had their set since December of 2004 but it was refurbished when they moved to their new building in 2010 to handle HD.

I don't know why they would just update their weather center. They need to upgrade. WTAE does too. They need exciting sets to fit in with the excitement of Pittsburgh. Not ones that are 7 years old.

I believe KDKA set is the same one from the late 90s but has been refreshed multiple times. It's pretty much time for a major overhaul especially for an owned and operated station. Then again WJZ is a CBS owned station using the same set since 1998.

I believe KDKA set is the same one from the late 90s but has been refreshed multiple times. It's pretty much time for a major overhaul especially for an owned and operated station. Then again WJZ is a CBS owned station using the same set since 1998.

KDKA received a new set in 2009 for their HD news launch. Since 1996 or 1997 KDKA has had the same set layout. I know the anchor desk is new from 2009. The old desk lasted from the late 90s till 2009 just logo redesigns on front of it.

Word is KDKA is getting a new set but there in a (temporary set) for the moment

12019855_10153271696818822_2278652490646664229_n.jpg?oh=9a114f99ad2033d1c45a20c2ac4c026b&oe=56A10738

THAT'S the temp set?!?!? Wow I'm actually impressed. I'm not getting my hopes up too much but CBS better give KDKA a set that makes WCBS look like WKBN.

THAT'S the temp set?!?!? Wow I'm actually impressed. I'm not getting my hopes up too much but CBS better give KDKA a set that makes WCBS look like WKBN.

Viewers on the KDKA facebook page were upset and didn't like it (what else is new) some like it but others complaining about the yellow in the background. So the race is on in Pittsburgh for new sets.

I saw a rumor that another cox station is getting a new set soon, rumored to be WHIO in Dayton. Can't confirm anything on it.

Well, WHIO was Cox's very first station- it might not be their flagship, but they tend to lavish it with stuff. As far as I'm aware, the last time they got a new set was when they moved into their new building alongside their sister radio stations and the Dayton Daily News back in 2010 or so.

• 2 weeks later...

WPXI posted a video to Facebook about "Buctober" (the Pirates are in the playoffs right now) and just so happened to show the back of the new set. Thoughts? Looks like a video wall.

PDI0NIX.png

Link to video:

Does anybody know when the new set is going to debut? I know they said in October.

As far as I am aware of, WPXI (and KDKA) have not released that information. Sweeps starts October 29th, so I am guessing sometime between October 19th and then.

Archived