What is an example of a growing/shrinking media market?

Brain

Can people name examples of media markets that have grown significantly over the past years and which had shrunk considerably?

Growing: Fargo, ND maybe? (I thought a few years ago they were near 160, now they are 116, but I might be dead wrong)

Declining: Erie, PA (150) and the production value of it's stations show it pretty well.

Are there more examples I need?

When Nexstar announced that it was buying KX Television (KXMB/KXMC/KXMA/KXMD), it mentioned in several articles as a press release (BusinessWire being one of them) that from 2006-2015, the Bismarck-Minot-Williston-Dickinson market went from DMA #160 to DMA #139. And it keeps growing because last year, it was at DMA #142.

would houston be a growing market because something said that population would pass chicago in a few years

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/How-soon-will-Houston-be-the-nation-s-6332836.php

Town size and market size are two different animals. If Houston jumps to third largest city, there will naturally be a bump in the DMA ranking, but Houston doesn't have the suburban boost that Chicago and other metro areas have.

• The Houston metro area has 6.18M. Chicago metro has 9.73M (difference of 3.55M).
  • Houston has 2.196M residents. Chicago has 2.719M (difference of 523K).
  • In households, DMA 10 has 2.374M households. Chicago has 3.475M (difference of 1.101M).

I think they were #5 under Philly until the 80's.

#5 until the late 80's... Number 10 until 2005-06. Now #13. Not so much from population decline (it's been very steady) as the population fled the city and the suburbs grew and attracted outsiders. Growth stagnated in the 80's though and other markets didn't and that's the difference. Not being able to count Canada hurts a lot. I figured we'd be on par with Boston in Metro area size if Windsor and vicinity were included. They certainly receive the stations on cable and OTA and we do stories over there now and again...

#5 until the late 80's... Number 10 until 2005-06. Now #13. Not so much from population decline (it's been very steady) as the population fled the city and the suburbs grew and attracted outsiders. Growth stagnated in the 80's though and other markets didn't and that's the difference. Not being able to count Canada hurts a lot. I figured we'd be on par with Boston in Metro area size if Windsor and vicinity were included. They certainly receive the stations on cable and OTA and we do stories over there now and again...

All things considered, being DMA 13 isn't THAT bad for Detroit. While it's certainly a drop from #5, #13 isn't bad either. It's still top 25, 20, and 15.

Kansas City is perhaps an example of a market that has stayed amazingly consistent over the years. The highest I think KC has ever been was like 25 (could be wrong), and we hover in the 31-33 range. We're typically "associated" with being DMA 31. When we fall, it's more because the markets below us grew. I feel like, however, that we should rise in the coming years. People are almost flocking to Kansas City.

However, KC attracts a lot of young people, and those young people are less likely to have TV's. We could very well drop because our population would be so young and cordless.

When Nexstar announced that it was buying KX Television (KXMB/KXMC/KXMA/KXMD), it mentioned in several articles as a press release (BusinessWire being one of them) that from 2006-2015, the Bismarck-Minot-Williston-Dickinson market went from DMA #160 to DMA #139. And it keeps growing because last year, it was at DMA #142.

Those markets are growing entirely because of the oil boom there. With oil prices going down worldwide, and the difficulty of extracting North Dakota oil; that market's growth will be screeching to a halt right about...

There is or used to be a site that showed DMA rankings over time, but now I can't find it.

I want to say Fort Myers has grown quite a bit over time. I want to say it shrunk a bit during the recession (ground zero for the housing crisis) but I don't think it ever went down a significant total.

I know DC is growing.

Phoenix has grown a lot over time (I want to say it was in the 20s at one point) while Cleveland has shrunk.

A shrinking market in my mind is a place like New Orleans. People left and didn't return. Detroit was #5 around 1980 and #7 in 1990. Cleveland was #11 in 1990.

Other places drop on the market ladder because they're not growing as quickly as other markets.

Orlando is a true grower. It went from mid-30s in the 1980s to top 20 today. Phoenix too-- going from the 20-25 range in 1990 to #12 today. Las Vegas and Austin both zoomed up the ladder too.

Las Vegas.....

Nuff Said when you look at the 20 year growth.

Loss?

Salinas/Monterey/Santa Cruz

Market 110 in 1990,down to 135 had a really great local FOX branded newscast KCBA.

No growth market due to nimbys...gutted news dept. Dominate KSBW could run a newscast of bars and tone and still get beat KION.

Archived