KUSA to get a new set

roscoryan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least they kept the red / blue scheme.

But there's no more grandness about it.

No depth. No elements to make the space appear larger than it is.

The skyline shot is taken from the street, like a pedestrian.

It all just feels cheap, more like a corporate booth at a big trade show than a television studio.

At least they kept the red / blue scheme.

But there's no more grandness about it.

No depth. No elements to make the space appear larger than it is.

The skyline shot is taken from the street, like a pedestrian.

It all just feels cheap, more like a corporate booth at a big trade show than a television studio.

Feels like KING 5. Is this becoming the new normal for TEGNA?

Honestly looks like it belongs on MSNBC not 9News. Really, this will never feel quite like 9News, but like the news stunting out of a local hospital. Where is the artsy water-fountain? Point me toward the proctology department, please!

Let's all agree that KUSA's new set is terrible and that they've should've sticked to the old set but make some upgrades for the technological era, like a new video wall or something else.

Question though... is it better than all the other news sets in Denver or is there one that's better?

Let's all agree that KUSA's new set is terrible and that they've should've sticked to the old set but make some upgrades for the technological era, like a new video wall or something else.

Question though... is it better than all the other news sets in Denver or is there one that's better?

1. No, I don't agree with that.
  2. Stuck, not sticked.
  3. Possibly, as lame as this one is, it's not the worst in town. Not to offend anyone, but in terms of content, quality, operations, etc, Denver, in my view, is quickly becoming a craphole market. While it's not quite as bad as places like San Diego or St. Louis, it's getting awfully close.

That all depends when you consider KCNC's was a refresh of their previous set by BDI, KMGH's was done (and later redone months later) by Devlin, and KDVR/KWGN each had their sets done by FX. KUSA's new set would fall somewhere in the middle. It's not too bad, but not as good as what was there before.

1. No, I don't agree with that.
  2. Stuck, not sticker.
  3. Possibly, as lame as this one is, it's not the worst in town. Not to offend anyone, but in terms of content, quality, operations, etc, Denver, in my view, is quickly becoming a craphole market. While it's not quite as bad as places like San Diego or St. Louis, it's getting awfully close.

1. Okay.

2. You're right.

3. Interesting.

To me... KUSA's new set doesn't give me much vibe. I mean, its not horrible, but its not good either. Again, the old two-story set... a whole lot better.

Again, the old two-story set... a whole lot better.

Absolutely. Same layout, similar (more traditional) desk, all-new materails, and a video wall instead of the (what was it, a control room) duratran would've been a nice way to completely makeover the space without eliminating the "grand" scale of the old set.

I think this set looks much better on air, at least from the on air videos I have seen online. I like the lighting behind the anchors. Overall, I think this isn't too bad of a set.

That all depends when you consider KCNC's was a refresh of their previous set by BDI, KMGH's was done (and later redone months later) by Devlin, and KDVR/KWGN each had their sets done by FX. KUSA's new set would fall somewhere in the middle. It's not too bad, but not as good as what was there before.

1. No. KCNC built a new set. The building is small, however, from 1959, and the digital displays were reused from the old set. There needs to be one major update, in my opinion with regard to the anchor backdrop. A video wall should be put up or a better projector used. This CSD knows this. He also won an Emmy for designing and building the weather center in an auxiliary room. The majority of this work was in-house and BDI consulted. It was very well done with a smart budget.

2. When Jeff Harris left the station to become ND at WEWS and Brad Remington was brought on board and hired Creative Director Matt Laws, he purchased a desk design, the KDKA design from Devlin, that Scripps' own engineering department built.

3. That is correct. That will hopefully change after the purported Tribune buyout.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've seen this on a real TV, I don't know how anybody could seriously be upset about this set, especially now that I know that it's a Jack Morton job (as was the 2004 set).

The main base area has a strong, solid video background and a beautiful desk. The lighting looks a little off, though that could be the LED lighting perhaps. The standup areas look a little flat, but I think it's otherwise a very versatile and modern set that almost any station would kill for. This set wasn't cheap, and I don't doubt that a lot of thought went into it. The only weak part is the weather center. It doesn't really come off as anything when you see it on air, though I guess it's at least functional.

It seems to be really flexible for everything from the buttoned-up 10pm show to the flowing and conversational morning and 4pm shows. I understand the criticism of the KING set as it really does look flat with some awkward shots, but the KUSA and KARE sets are both really dynamic 360 degree broadcast environments made out of what appear to be really high quality materials.

I'd say the Denver market is pretty strong when it comes to sets now. KUSA, KMGH, and KCNC all have up-to-date sets with flexible video backdrops and standup shots. The only weak ones are the KDVR/KWGN sets, which are mostly the FX set-in-a-box that a lot of small markets got a few years ago.

I don't think that the duratrans of yesteryear are anything to be pining for.

Archived