KUSA to get a new set

roscoryan

Just for an estimate when WBZ got their new set it was $750,000 and on the previous FXGroup website said that their sets begin at $100,000.

I think one of the major cost factors of WBZ's set were the two 103" monitors which when they came out cost about $80-100,000.

That's amazing.

Thanks for the numbers.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's amazing.

Thanks for the numbers.

Those monitors have gone down remarkably a 95" Samsung TV is about $22,000 and an 85" UHD TV is about $10,000. Now the Panasonic plasma 103" is $40,000.

I know the numbers don't mean much but with the current price of technology stations can likely get a high tech set now a days like KDKA and WFTV.

KARE 11 debuts their new set on Monday. Word is that the new KUSA set will mirror KARE's.

Now those "monitors" didn't cost no $100k...they were simple backlit green screens(or blue) depending on your local flavor.

Any guesses on what that set cost?

I bet it was a kit provided to NBC affils at the time. Just like the old "Sears Craftsman" homes popular in the 1920's and 30's.

They sent the pieces on a truck...and the staff spent the weekend putting it together eating pizza and swigging beer.

One major thing is missing from local broadcasting nowdays....

BOOZE!

Yup booze(and drugs) used to be everywhere in tv untill the mid -80's when the bean counters and liability kooks took over.

• 1 month later...

9 is revealing their rendition of the KARE set in the "coming days." Though the fact that they are airing news tonight on the update desk, I think the new set is being blocked this weekend during test newscasts and that it will perhaps premiere Wednesday at 6 after network news.

Actually, I just discovered on KUSA's facebook that the new set will debut on Wednesday. Anchor Vincent Arenas says that their new set will be one of the best looking in the country.

Actually, I just discovered on KUSA's facebook that the new set will debut on Wednesday. Anchor Vincent Arenas says that their new set will be one of the best looking in the country.

I have obtained exclusive photos from this weekends blocking and lighting sessions. It is clear KUSA is staying with a motif that says's "Western Colorado"...

cowboyfort.JPG.569092a127738ba96e4418cc1f4f9228.JPG

And the anchors will all be sporting new wardrobe....

cowbaby.jpg.f0988b2df4e133d9a216faaf7b3f17c6.jpg

That's just for advertising effect.

If it's anything like KARE's set I don't think it's one of the best in the country. I think WTVJ's the best looking set in the country - it's beautiful. Then I'd have to say I like KNBC as its a contemporary loft feel and I love KDKA's as its high tech and versatile.

You can get some small peeks on the lower monitor in this photo

[MEDIA=instagram]BC_OthgmjXr[/MEDIA]

There is a skyline shot done via vertical monitor panels - which if you look at the blurred post above appears behind home base.

But I see signs of some of the same chintzy finishes from the KARE setup. At least the logo isn't changing and looks like a traditional news desk.

[MEDIA=instagram]BC_E3aCGjUD[/MEDIA]

Archived