KNTV/NBC Bay Area working on a new studio?

NBC corporate is known to have a hand at all the O&O's when it comes to a new set design and launch. They are most likely making changes to satisfy them. Don't buy that? Then just take a look at all the latest NBC O&O sets, they have that same penthouse window look for the main backgrounds, and they all have different set designers. That tells you it's driven above the station level and there will most likely be some of that present in the new KNTV design. Unfortunately tweaker's will tweak!

To me this seem like a downgrade of what they previously had and also a bit dated. I just think that both NBC and (Devlin??) could've kept this set and just wait to get a new set in 2-5 years from now. All the previous set needed was a refresh. This seem like wasted money for something that isn't spectacular.

It's an improvement in that it's not monochromatic blue everywhere. The old set was nice, but it was one of the first sets Clickspring ever made for local news, and having it lit up with all blue and paired with the standard Look F made for some really flat shots.

The WNBC style monitors (with the round metal casing hiding the mullion) with the KNBC style desks. They still have that weather wall.

There appears to be a 5x1 portrait monitor wall on home base with addition 3x1 portrait monitor walls on each side of the desk. In addition their is a 2x1 monitor wall in the typical landscape fashion and the 3x3 that was installed for weather. The news desk has monitors built in like KNBC showing the talent name and theirs a small weather pod with a single monitor built in.

There appears to be no hard branding built into the set.

It's a nice upgrade but the set seems more smaller for some reason.

The video quality on the backdrop is not HD or 4K content like KNSD. The skycam for the 6pm is really shaky due to the winds. It's not that hard to record some B-Roll on a tripod for an hour and use it to loop for a newscast...Unless they really want the live look.

Glad they were able to import the weather wall for the new set.

The video quality on the backdrop is not HD or 4K content like KNSD. The skycam for the 6pm is really shaky due to the winds. It's not that hard to record some B-Roll on a tripod for an hour and use it to loop for a newscast...Unless they really want the live look.

I think the video back drop is HD - it's just that the image is stretched to an unnatural resolution that would make it look blocky. I don't think the KNSD backdrop shows 4K content live - but I imagine they could if was recorded. But again it would still sufferer issues of zooming to a different resolution and aspect ration.

I like the set but I'm not so sure how it would look if the cameras were pulled backed showing more of it. It doesn't seem like it was designed to be shown all at once rather they designed it to get the most out of the small space. I think if they wanted to show the entire studio (home base plus the three monitors on either side) they should get some panoramic footage. Chyron offers a unique solution that stitches 4 cameras together to create a panoramic video called VistaCam. Imagine how the set would look if it were displaying a panoramic of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Here's a nice timelapse. I stand corrected about the three monitors on either side of the desk. On the left side there are three vertical ones but on the right there are three horizontal monitors (ones a touch screen) and then the three vertical ones.

A very clean, sophisticated look in a very small space, that's textbook NBC all the way, no surprises there! I like the warmth of this set compared to the monochromatic look of the other NBC O&O sets lately. I hate to say it but the KNSD set looks too cold for the San Diego market, this set would do well in any coastal California market. The large format vertical monitors give a great view of the San Francisco skyline and will create great branding opportunities as seen in the video. Kudos to NBC Bay Area and Devlin for keeping it clean and free of gimmicks. This set should do really well in this market, can't wait to see what they do with it over the coming months!

A very clean, sophisticated look in a very small space, that's textbook NBC all the way, no surprises there! I like the warmth of this set compared to the monochromatic look of the other NBC O&O sets lately. I hate to say it but the KNSD set looks too cold for the San Diego market, this set would do well in any coastal California market. The large format vertical monitors give a great view of the San Francisco skyline and will create great branding opportunities as seen in the video. Kudos to NBC Bay Area and Devlin for keeping it clean and free of gimmicks. This set should do really well in this market, can't wait to see what they do with it over the coming months!

I agree with your statement about the KNSD set. All those plain blue walls makes the set look too sterile. More elements showing shots of San Diego need to be added to break up the overwhelming blue.

I agree with your statement about the KNSD set. All those plain blue walls makes the set look too sterile. More elements showing shots of San Diego need to be added to break up the overwhelming blue.

The walls can change colors, don't know why KNSD hasn't bothered to use anything other than blue. Then again, KNSD is pretty conservative with its look...

The walls can change colors, don't know why KNSD hasn't bothered to use anything other than blue. Then again, KNSD is pretty conservative with its look...

Catherine said in her Facebook that they will change the tone of colors depending on mood "red for breaking. Yellow/Orange for morning and white for midday." But looks like they forgot about that lol

Catherine said in her Facebook that they will change the tone of colors depending on mood "red for breaking. Yellow/Orange for morning and white for midday." But looks like they forgot about that lol

Well they must be in a blue mood, since it's been parked on that color ever since they moved in. That, or they lost the remote to change colors. I wonder if they can make it flash with different colors/patterns...

Well they must be in a blue mood, since it's been parked on that color ever since they moved in. That, or they lost the remote to change colors. I wonder if they can make it flash with different colors/patterns...

Yeah just like with KSWB when they had the Sand Dune Set it changes colors and Dance Party Friday, I remember they made it flash like a night club lol.

I think the only time their desk was show was on the night they debuted

https://z-1-scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/12961720_1534220303545629_7830998695201039365_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=30b856d3880090a67651de7579080c21&oe=57ABD88F

https://z-1-scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/12928379_1534015890232737_289097892315387270_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=3626cd675c775d7d8838477779536281&oe=57A391A3

Also KNTV should take notes how their sister station used the wall. Looks sharp

[MEDIA=instagram]BChEMGwNPSf[/MEDIA]

Probably waiting to do it with the new graphics....

Totally agree also....and now I'm bored with it.

Way too cold.

Like I said in another post on the changing color subject....

It can create havoc with makeup/ skin tones/ wardrobe and perceived color temps. The onset talent has fits over this stuff...so do the consultants.

You decide to run the yellow and green set colors....but the anchor has done makeup / wardrobe for blue/ red.

They go nuts!

Like I said in another post on the changing color subject....

It can create havoc with makeup/ skin tones/ wardrobe and perceived color temps. The onset talent has fits over this stuff...so do the consultants.

You decide to run the yellow and green set colors....but the anchor has done makeup / wardrobe for blue/ red.

They go nuts!

I bet. The thing is that they look like sh*t in blue anyways, might as well try a different color. Plus, i'm sure they've taken into consideration using red (and presumably prepared for it), yet they haven't changed the walls to that color. If they just wanted to keep the blue color, then they should have gotten some duratrans with the peacock, that way it wouldn't look so dull.

I bet. The thing is that they look like sh*t in blue anyways, might as well try a different color. Plus, i'm sure they've taken into consideration using red (and presumably prepared for it), yet they haven't changed the walls to that color. If they just wanted to keep the blue color, then they should have gotten some duratrans with the peacock, that way it wouldn't look so dull.

Yep...

Besides, you can plan the color changes in advance if you are serious about using the feature....but it's still more problems than it's really worth sans the elex colors.

In the late 70's and early 780's KFMB went heavy on earth tones...the set was a combo of redwood and ferns....down Engineer Road KCST/KNSD was heavy with the tans and oranges.

KGTV stayed loyal to blue and red.

Maybe KNSD planning to introduce "augmented reality" elements like KNBC uses which could explain all the blue.

They also sometimes have a monitor that drops down to show what's coming up next.

Maybe KNSD planning to introduce "augmented reality" elements like KNBC uses which could explain all the blue.

They also sometimes have a monitor that drops down to show what's coming up next.

I'm pretty sure the blue isn't the key to the augmented reality. WSI and Ross Video (whose pedestals are used at KNTV and KNBC) had a video up taken at NAB last year with a set that didn't have any blue in it. The augmented portions probably just deal with precise targeting of the pedestal.

Archived