CBS dumps WILM for WWAY

The Frog

CBS will switch its affiliation in Wilmington, N.C. to Morris Network-owned WWAY, the broadcaster announced Wednesday.

The change is part of a broader agreement that extends the network’s affiliation with Morris-owned stations in Chattanooga, Tenn. and Columbus, Miss. CBS will end its affiliation in Wilmington with Capitol Broadcasting’s low-power station WILM.

The network will begin broadcasting on high-power WWAY Jan. 1. The channel is currently the ABC affiliate in the Wilmington market. In 2013, WWAY launched a digital subchannel affiliated with the CW, which is co-owned by CBS with Time Warner.

https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/cbs-to-make-north-carolina-change-1201742103/

WWAY will keep ABC on 3.1, so maybe CBS on 3.2 with the CW being pushed back to 3.3, which could kick Cozi TV off the airwaves in Coastal North Carolina.

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2016/03/30/wway-adding-cbs-affiliation-to-abc-cw-lineup/

This does not bode well for WILM since this will strip them of a major network affiliation. Since they're a low powered semi-satellite of WRAL that has been stripped of a common network bond, Wilmington viewers are sadly better off with another WWAY stream instead of WRAL's quality newscasts beamed into town.

This is kind of...a revenge move? In any event, the affiliation does not move until January 1, 2017, giving Capitol time to review its options.

One potential outcome I see is an attempt by Capitol to purchase one of WECT or WSFX and/or take one of the affiliations from Raycom. Creating a semi-satellite of WRAZ is also fairly feasible for them, and this is a JSA case anyway so it might meet well with the FCC.

This is kind of...a revenge move? In any event, the affiliation does not move until January 1, 2017, giving Capitol time to review its options.

One potential outcome I see is an attempt by Capitol to purchase one of WECT or WSFX and/or take one of the affiliations from Raycom. Creating a semi-satellite of WRAZ is also fairly feasible for them, and this is a JSA case anyway so it might meet well with the FCC.

I could also maybe see a strategic alliance of source with Raycom and Capitol? Perhaps Capitol could get reporting rights at the coast from Raycom's stations in the area (and vice versa), even if no stations change legal hands?

Sounds like WILM isn't going away:

"We have had a good run with CBS,” said WILM-TV general manager Connie Knox. “We are working on some new plans right now. I can't talk about any right now. We will announce programing plans in the fall.”

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20160330/NEWS/160339976/1177?Title=WWAY-to-become-CBS-affiliate-in-2017

This is no doubt good for CBS in the market. I lived in Monkey Junction (south part of Wilmington) for a year with no cable and couldn't pick up WILM over-the-air, leaving me with no CBS at all. Where I live now, I am watching it over WILT channel 24, the translator that signed on last year. There's likely a good chunk of Brunswick and Pender counties that can't get CBS OTA right now.

Although this is a good deal (and considering how Morris doesn't spend money) for Morris, this does feel like on the surface that we want no part of Capitol Broadcasting anymore.

Now in reference to the idea of RAYCOM giving up WECT or WSFX even to appease the JSA/SSA regulations of the FCC, well probably won't happen. That is a lovely pipe dream in reference to them giving up WSFX.

Maybe the news reports in Wilmington or having a deal with RAYCOM for WRAL to have reporters down there in exchange for a reporter of Raycom to be based @ WRAL for a State Capital Bureau is something that could happen. Outside of their own stations, WRAL and Raleigh are the highest rated markets for RAYCOM Sports (Now ACC Network) and I think with that, a deal could be worked out for some news sharing.

Couldn't WILM shift MeTV onto 10.1 or put another diginet at 10.1 and leave 10.2 on MeTV?

That's probably the most likely outcome. I doubt the WRAL simulcast will survive such a move, but the dedicated weathercasts could live on, sort of like WeatherVision does for random stations across the country...

The good news is that CBS is getting a full-market signal there. The bad news is that it's Morris which means that things will still be done on the cheap.

Now WWAY is on the level of WXXV in Gulfport, Mississippi, which angered the locals when they added NBC to their .2, displacing stations like WDSU and for FOX forcing WVUE and WALA out of the area...

WILM's entire existence was to beam CBS programming in from Raleigh and WRAL when WJKA switched to FOX (as WSFX). Now that that's a moot point, CBS is in deal mode and chose to finish its relationship with Capitol now that WRAL ended theirs....

MyNetworkTV, as diminished as it is, looks like a good choice for WILM at this point. The station it's on now doesn't even cover Wilmington proper and is in analog, plus it fills two of the three primetime hours vacated by CBS. Likely though a swap for the CW is most likely since the majority of 10-years for the first cycle of CW carriage agreements is up in September and that network doesn't want to be in SD 4:3 or extremely compressed, especially in a market where the network has produced a whole lot of series in the past (One Tree Hill is the most immediate that comes to mind).

ETA - Never mind the CW spec...but it'll be fun to see if they'll run a channel with 3 720p streams that won't have PQ compromised.

MyNetworkTV, as diminished as it is, looks like a good choice for WILM at this point. The station it's on now doesn't even cover Wilmington proper and is in analog, plus it fills two of the three primetime hours vacated by CBS. Likely though a swap for the CW is most likely since the majority of 10-years for the first cycle of CW carriage agreements is up in September and that network doesn't want to be in SD 4:3 or extremely compressed, especially in a market where the network has produced a whole lot of series in the past (One Tree Hill is the most immediate that comes to mind).

Maybe a dual CW/MyNet like WKTC in Columbia.

Couldn't WILM shift MeTV onto 10.1 or put another diginet at 10.1 and leave 10.2 on MeTV?

I think that's what's going to happen. I imagine Capital Broadcasting is probably discussing with Wiegel about additional preemptions.

• 3 weeks later...

I somehow even doubt that FOX would want to put MY on WILM. This isn't a slight against WILM but I would kind of think that WILM goes silently into the dark which would leave Capitol with WRAL and WRAZ and that's it.

I somehow even doubt that FOX would want to put MY on WILM. This isn't a slight against WILM but I would kind of think that WILM goes silently into the dark which would leave Capitol with WRAL and WRAZ and that's it.

There's no way that WSFX would want to leave FOX. No way, considering that they are owned by Raycom's sidecar corporation.

EDIT: I read your statement wrong. I think W47CK should give up MyTV and let WILM-LD have it.

Why not. It's not available over the air now. WILM is not that bad of a station especially since they have a translator to get the southern part of wilmington near Carolina Beach.

Another option I thought of is telemundo. With Capitol and NBC being in a business relationship why not use Telemundo on WILM to expand it. Also would hit on a key demographic in wilmington very much underserved

Why not. It's not available over the air now. WILM is not that bad of a station especially since they have a translator to get the southern part of wilmington near Carolina Beach.

Another option I thought of is telemundo. With Capitol and NBC being in a business relationship why not use Telemundo on WILM to expand it. Also would hit on a key demographic in wilmington very much underserved

http://ui.uncc.edu/story/hispanic-latino-population-north-carolina-cities-census

From this study, putting a Telemundo affiliate or a Univision affiliate would not serve the area well considering no other part of the state has a Univision or Telemundo affiliate at all. And it would make the most sense in Charlotte/Raleigh/The Triad but not in Wilmington. Maybe if Fayetteville was part of the Wilmington DMA, but when they were placed with Raleigh, there is currently not a need for it.

Archived