WBAL To Get New Set

rkolsen

On WBAL 11 News Today they revealed that today is their last day on their current set. They'll be in the newsroom for a few weeks. I hope they don't get the WTAE set or one of the likes of WGAL.

I'm guessing the launch timeframe is for the Olympics as a launch.

Edit: I will say if this is a new set I'm surprised some other stations who have had this FX group set for over ten years aren't first in line. I'm thinking stations like WCVB and WESH.

This is a bit over their seventh year using it on air but it was installed and in place for I think two or more months in 2008 as I believe they were still waiting on their full "plant" makeover to end.

Having trouble editing but this will be WBAL's second new set to have launched since WJZ had theirs installed in 1998. WJZ could still throwing us for a loop as they have a secondary studio that's not getting much use during the summer months. It's Academic films in their other studio and it appears that the typical season for the show is from mid September to Memorial Day.

On WBAL 11 News Today they revealed that today is their last day on their current set. They'll be in the newsroom for a few weeks. I hope they don't get the WTAE set or one of the likes of WGAL.

Edit: I will say if this is a new set I'm surprised some other stations who have had this FX group set for over ten years aren't first in line. I'm thinking stations like WCVB and WESH.

This is a bit over their seventh year using it on air but it was installed and in place for I think two or more months in 2008 as I believe they were still waiting on their full "plant" makeover to end.

You've been saying WBAL needs to get a new set, and your wish is coming true. Didn't they just get a new set a few years ago? All (3) shops in that market has a new or getting a new look, but next door to WBAL lies WJZ and they're still stuck in 1998 over there.

You've been saying WBAL needs to get a new set, and your wish is coming true. Didn't they just get a new set a few years ago? All (3) shops in that market has a new or getting a new look, but next door to WBAL lies WJZ and they're still stuck in 1998 over there.

I feel like they do need a new set as its dated looking from 2008. That being said they've kept it in great condition. The only significant wear that's visible on screen is the acrylic (or whatever it is) top on the news desk that looks like it's been well used.

Say what you want about WJZ but their main anchor area to me still looks good given the age - they got a new desk for it (and the morning area) and it doesn't show any scuffs or damage. Probably that areas main saving grace is that they didn't have any monitors over the years and the backdrop is still the Baltimore skyline.

Not disagreeing that WBAL needs a new set. But just curious what don't you like about WGAL set? Best set in the market. By far.

-- Matt

Not disagreeing that WBAL needs a new set. But just curious what don't you like about WGAL set? Best set in the market. By far.

-- Matt

I'm not a fan of the home base area - the L shaped desk seems awkward to me along with the monitor at the angle. It would look better in my mind if they had additional monitors on each side as well. Some of their northern stations (I forget which ones but not WCVB and WMUR) have sets that have that type of desks that look much worst.

I'm not a fan of the home base area - the L shaped desk seems awkward to me along with the monitor at the angle. It would look better in my mind if they had additional monitors on each side as well. Some of their northern stations (I forget which ones but not WCVB and WMUR) have sets that have that type of desks that look much worst.

Gotcha. Yeah. I love for them to get a true video wall. Like what WCVB has. We all can dream.

-- Matt

Do they forget that they STILL have lower market stations that aren't in True HD?

Do they REALLY?

Also, if they ever get around to KC, it'll be interesting to see what they do for KMBC since they don't have a true studio, it's all an open newsroom. That set, aside from some duratran changes, hasn't changed since it launched in '07.

KCRA has been on the same set since the HD changeover in February of '07. Bulbs are burned out on the front of the desk and they need something more contemporary that makes better use of the larger studio space.

Hey, Hearst! What about WISN? They're a flagship station, using a 5-year old lousy refresh of a much, much older set. *grumble*

This...and don't they have a larger space where the lottery/Milwaukee's Talking studio used to be (unless they've repurposed that space)? I don't understand why they're still using the smaller set they have with that ancient duratrans that distractingly blows around, along with the one podium position that quadruples as the "Sports Set"/"Social Square"/"Satellite Center"/Upfront tape area (talk about your split personality ;)).

Do they REALLY?

Also, if they ever get around to KC, it'll be interesting to see what they do for KMBC since they don't have a true studio, it's all an open newsroom. That set, aside from some duratran changes, hasn't changed since it launched in '07.

I believe KOAT, WDSU, WMTW and WPTZ are still SD.

This...and don't they have a larger space where the lottery/Milwaukee's Talking studio used to be (unless they've repurposed that space)? I don't understand why they're still using the smaller set they have with that ancient duratrans that distractingly blows around, along with the one podium position that quadruples as the "Sports Set"/"Social Square"/"Satellite Center"/Upfront tape area (talk about your split personality ;)).

UpFront tapes in a different studio, which I think they use as a production studio. I think they are both similar in size.

They didn't have a whole lot to compete with at the time the studios were built in 1957. WTMJ was 9 years away from adding their round studio (using two converted radio studios in addition to their main studio and auditorium stage), WITI was using their freaky Vitascan color system in their tiny facility (

which still exists), WXIX was in their

weird narrow building that WITI would later move into (now housing Acme Productions) and WCAN was in the building that would later become the WCGV/WVTV building.

The studios are actually of decent size, the current set just uses the space poorly. The curved backdrop and huge anchor desk platform eat up a lot of space.

Well it's confirmed they're getting a set from Devlin.

[MEDIA=twitter]741240036721459202[/MEDIA]

And some behind the scenes photos of the deconstruction and temporary setup:

[MEDIA=twitter]740102834377621504[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]739775763403132928[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]739740940760403970[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]740138872214978563[/MEDIA]

When I heard WTAE's new set was going to be Devlin, I was excited. But, their new set was okay, not Devlin greatness, probably because Hearst gave them very little money to work with. I am guessing that will be the same with WBAL. But, we will have to see.

Is it me or does it seem like FX's sets are slowly fading away from existence? Like I said before, FX was the shiet back when stations started going HD, but now they've fallen off. Maybe it's a cyclical industry thing? FX was the fad then, Devlin is the fad now...

Is it me or does it seem like FX's sets are slowly fading away from existence? Like I said before, FX was the shiet back when stations started going HD, but now they've fallen off. Maybe it's a cyclical industry thing? FX was the fad then, Devlin is the fad now...

I know. 9 times out of ten it was a FX set. I remember when Devlin did a set in my area and I was shocked because the other 3 stations debut a FX set. I wonder who will be the new fad in erecting sets in 2025-2027.

I know. 9 times out of ten it was a FX set. I remember when Devlin did a set in my area and I was shocked because the other 3 stations debut a FX set. I wonder who will be the new fad in erecting sets in 2025-2027.

I think one of the things about FX was that they were cookie cutter back then now there is some more variation which likely takes more time to design and assemble.

• 3 weeks later...

I tweeted the ND as seen in the above post and asked if it's going to be like WTAE. I'm having trouble embedding the Tweet but he wrote that "they re are a few similar elements. But the two sets are very different."

Archived