WBAL To Get New Set

rkolsen

Some photos that don't really show much:

[MEDIA=twitter]750684400506040321[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]750686128936783872[/MEDIA]

I saw on Twitter that they also built new studios for their radio stations. Maybe they decided to undertake the tasks all at once.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the new home base. The set premiered on a special report for a verdict of one of the police officers arrested in connection of Freddie Grey. Wonder how the rest of the studio will look? Appears there is a large duratrans behind the monitors that is a photo of Baltimore that is backlit by LED's to change colors.

image.thumb.jpeg.84ba098044bccef571b60e9a01f238d1.jpeg

Does anyone know when this set will make it's debut? Can't wait to see more of it. It seems like they've just been fooling around with the completed set for weeks now

They've been doing weather via green screen for about three weeks now from the new studio. I assume it was done because all the computers were moved back in. About two weeks ago they moved all the robotic cameras back into the studio (one was moved to their green screen production studio for weather/traffic/standups*, one to become a second camera for their newsroom desk and finally another one elsewhere in a newsroom as an ad hoc flash cam) and they've been doing their newscasts from the newsroom with one camera.

Supposedly Monday's special report was a soft launch and the new set will debut the coming days per their news director. The date and time of the verdict was known several days in advance so they could plan ahead.

If you guys remember WRC did a soft launch of their set (and their HD transition) for about two weeks before launching it full time back in April 2010.

*I hope there are some fresh "virtual set" green screen backgrounds for them to use that will match their new set

Apparently the set launches Monday at 5. Found this out via Instagram. I don't want to link to it because it's a persons account that's not associated with the station that was given a tour by the CSD. If you want a minor peak you'll have to look for the location "Wbal-Tv".

Here's a behind the scenes Facebook Live that just ended of the new studio:

Ok, I've gotta ask... this is a video from a professional TV station. I get that this is for the internet, and they're probably using a cell phone to film this... but they make rigs that let you hold the cell phone steady, and even add LED lighting and a microphone and such, and they aren't even all that expensive. Why can't they spend a few bucks and get something like that so the video doesn't look and sound like utter crap? It's not just this video... nearly every "Facebook Live" video from a TV station has looked and sounded like this.

Rant over. Sorry. :)

Ok, I've gotta ask... this is a video from a professional TV station. I get that this is for the internet, and they're probably using a cell phone to film this... but they make rigs that let you hold the cell phone steady, and even add LED lighting and a microphone and such, and they aren't even all that expensive. Why can't they spend a few bucks and get something like that so the video doesn't look and sound like utter crap? It's not just this video... nearly every "Facebook Live" video from a TV station has looked and sounded like this.

Rant over. Sorry. :)

I imagine if they did a lot of Facebook Lives they would invest in an option.

The set looks a lot better on camera. Was a wondering how the large blank spaces would look on camera but the way the shots are blocked they aren't dominate.

Here are some quick screen captures showing the general shot blocking in the studio. Many feature trucking shots.

[MEDIA=twitter]757895651535585281[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]757862407754682368[/MEDIA]

Here are some quick screen captures showing the general shot blocking in the studio. Many feature trucking shots.

[MEDIA=twitter]757895651535585281[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]757862407754682368[/MEDIA]

Wait, did they...*gasps* they did! They changed the LED lighting!!!

Archived