2016-2017 DMA rankings

mardek1995

• 5 weeks later...
Houston really grew. Leap froged both Atlanta and Boston

Despite growth in all 3 markets, too.

I find it interesting how every market in the top 20 increased (some by nearly 50,000 homes), except for the big 3, even if their losses (a combined -45,000) weren't as sizable as the gains of those below.

Looks like the positional gains in the Top 100 are (bolded DMAs that moved up more than one slot):

8. Houston +2

18. Orlando +1

24. Raleigh +1

31. San Antonio +1

41. OKC +2

43. Harrisburg +1

50. New Orleans +1

55. Richmond +1

58. Tulsa +2

65. Honolulu +1

67. Roanoke +2

69. Des Moines +3 (?!)

77. Columbia SC +1

80. Madison +1

82. Shreveport +1

84. RGV (Harlingen/et al. TX) +2

88. Colorado Springs +1

97. Burlington/Plattsburgh +1

99. Fayetteville/Ft. Smith +1

Did I miss any? (EDIT: I did. Forgot RGV.)

Looks like Tulsa has moved up a few spots from 60 to 58. Meanwhile, OKC has moved from 43 to 41.
While west michigan went down a few spots

Wow so KPRC is now the largest NBC affiliate that is not owned by the network. I wonder how long that will last...
Not to mention that TEGNA effectively now owns the 2 largest CBS affiliates not to be owned by the network (WUSA and KHOU). And about DC, seeing as how Houston keeps growing as it is now, DC wont stay #7 for much longer.

Detroit didn't move for once... Lucky 13 still...
Seattle will outgrow it at some point next year.

I was pulling for DFW to overtake Philly. One of these years...
So was I, but the only reason why it's not is because Philly is literally NYC's next door neighbor (or even its little brother). It'll still overtake Philly, just not this year.

People are leaving WV in droves (one of the only states to have a negative population growth rate) so that's not surprising.
So is Ohio last I heard (complete with Cleveland dropping a spot and probably even further next year)

I kind of doubt Seattle will grow that much... They've been back there awhile...
If it wasn't for gentrification, both it and Austin (because it too is hit with gentrification) would grow quite a bit more. In fact, it's more likely that Detroit will shrink down somewhere in between #14 to 16 than Seattle growing a whole lot.

Also, as I said, West Michigan has shrunk down a few spots.

Archived