2016-2017 DMA rankings

mardek1995

In terms of a top 10 market, Boston is sinking like a rock.

Perhaps even more so if NBC goes to Channel 60. I could see some of the southern counties shift to Providence.

BTW, did any markets gain or lose counties this year?

I see Houston finally made the leap into the top 10, while Charlotte is back among the top 25.

Houston has been the number 10 market for about 15 years now. I'm somewhat surprised it took this long to move further up the list, as fast as Houston has been growing, population wise.

If it wasn't for gentrification, both it and Austin (because it too is hit with gentrification) would grow quite a bit more. In fact, it's more likely that Detroit will shrink down somewhere in between #14 to 16 than Seattle growing a whole lot.

Also, as I said, West Michigan has shrunk down a few spots.

Gentrification is;

"A trend in urban neighborhoods, which results in increased property values and the displacing of lower-income families and small businesses. This is a common and controversial topic in urban planning."

So no I don't think that's very relavent.

Gentrification is;

"A trend in urban neighborhoods, which results in increased property values and the displacing of lower-income families and small businesses. This is a common and controversial topic in urban planning."

So no I don't think that's very relavent.

I think it is, because gentrified neighborhoods or even cities will often cause people to move away from there, and if its an entire city, they'll either move to a smaller and less (or not) gentrified neighborhoods, or move out together (like people moving out of Austin to San Antonio). This doesn't always stop growth, or the Bay Area (or more specifically, San Francisco itself), Seattle, and Austin wouldn'tve grown the sizes they are by now (then again, it can, and often does, still cause problems if the city in question is dense), but that's another topic that would warrant its own thread covering this issue in great detail.

Anyway, as I said, its still more likely for Detroit to shrink down a few ranks than seattle growing up one

Houston has been the number 10 market for about 15 years now. I'm somewhat surprised it took this long to move further up the list, as fast as Houston has been growing, population wise.
At this rate, it'll overtake DC next year or if not then, the year after that and maybe it'll overtake the Bay Area as well.

Guest Former Member 207

I misspoke about the Houston thing...I should have said inside the top ten. As far as Charlotte...I thought they were still ranked 26th or 27th as late as last year.

Perhaps even more so if NBC goes to Channel 60. I could see some of the southern counties shift to Providence.

Not happening. The only counties that could move would be Plymouth and Barnstable Counties (the latter is basically Cape Cod) plus Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, and Boston's stations have loyal followings there. Even in Bristol County, the only county in Mass that is in the Providence market, all of the major Boston stations are provided on almost every cable system in Bristol County, and, especially for five towns in the north part of Bristol County (Easton, Mansfield, Norton, Taunton and Raynham), the Boston stations are more watched than the Providence stations, and I don't think that's going to change even with NBC moving. I mean, who in their right minds would watch WLNE over WCVB in Massachusetts?

I remember Houston taking over the #10 spot from Detroit in the 2005-06 season.

I think it is, because gentrified neighborhoods or even cities will often cause people to move away from there, and if its an entire city, they'll either move to a smaller and less (or not) gentrified neighborhoods, or move out together (like people moving out of Austin to San Antonio). This doesn't always stop growth, or the Bay Area (or more specifically, San Francisco itself), Seattle, and Austin wouldn'tve grown the sizes they are by now (then again, it can, and often does, still cause problems if the city in question is dense), but that's another topic that would warrant its own thread covering this issue in great detail.

Anyway, as I said, its still more likely for Detroit to shrink down a few ranks than seattle growing up one

At this rate, it'll overtake DC next year or if not then, the year after that and maybe it'll overtake the Bay Area as well.

You don't know what a DMA is do you?

You don't know what a DMA is do you?
Well, like I said, gentrification hasn't stopped growth, though I will say this, it makes it suck if you cant pay your rent because it rose dramatically. I'll also say this now, gentrification wouldn't make a DMA shrink or Seattle would be down a few spots by now.

I remember Houston taking over the #10 spot from Detroit in the 2005-06 season.

I'll be damned, if your right. I could have sworn it happened for the 01-02 season.

But a little sleuthing proved me wrong

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/574540-new-nielsen-dma-rankings-2005-a.html#/topics/574540?_k=qjgisg

Well, like I said, gentrification hasn't stopped growth, though I will say this, it makes it suck if you cant pay your rent because it rose dramatically. I'll also say this now, gentrification wouldn't make a DMA shrink or Seattle would be down a few spots by now.

Right a DMA is the viewing area associated with a major regional area, not just a city itself. Its everybody that can see the stations programming.

Dang it, St. Louis is still at #21. Now I am in Columbia-Jefferson City Market. What was this market ranked from last year?

I'm actually shocked that St. Louis is still at #21. The gap between St. Louis and Charlotte has been shrinking with every passing year (thanks to a combination of Charlotte's healthy population growth and St. Louis' population loss).

I think this will be the last year that St. Louis is in the #21 spot. I will be shocked if they aren't #22 next year.

Not happening. The only counties that could move would be Plymouth and Barnstable Counties (the latter is basically Cape Cod) plus Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, and Boston's stations have loyal followings there. Even in Bristol County, the only county in Mass that is in the Providence market, all of the major Boston stations are provided on almost every cable system in Bristol County, and, especially for five towns in the north part of Bristol County (Easton, Mansfield, Norton, Taunton and Raynham), the Boston stations are more watched than the Providence stations, and I don't think that's going to change even with NBC moving. I mean, who in their right minds would watch WLNE over WCVB in Massachusetts?

When is the last time Nielsen even reassigned a county?

When is the last time Nielsen even reassigned a county?

Not too long ago, actually. Here are two official maps from 2012-13 and 2015-16. If you look in Ohio, you'll see that Auglaize County moved into the Lima market while Noble County moved into the Wheeling / Steubenville market sometime during that span. I think I remember the Lima market moving up more than 10 spots somewhere in that time span, and I think we may have found out why. There could be more moves but I haven't really studied the maps.

Not too long ago, actually. Here are two official maps from 2012-13 and 2015-16. If you look in Ohio, you'll see that Auglaize County moved into the Lima market while Noble County moved into the Wheeling / Steubenville market sometime during that span. I think I remember the Lima market moving up more than 10 spots somewhere in that time span, and I think we may have found out why. There could be more moves but I haven't really studied the maps.

Good catch. I wish this stuff was less opaque.

Other differences:

Holmes County, FL: Dothan -> Panama City (much more logical)

Florence County, WI: Green Bay -> Marquette

Thomas County, NE: Lincoln -> North Platte

Next question: I noticed Palm Beach County, FL is split up into North/South. Was Southern Palm Beach County ever part of the Miami market? Otherwise I don't see why it would be differentiated...

Houston is a growing by leaps and bounds

It'll overtake DC & SF within 2-3 yrs

Its about time the Networks start thinking about buying KHOU & KPRC

I can vision NBC-Universal purchasing KPRC, but I don't vision Tegna selling KHOU to CBS.

I can vision NBC-Universal purchasing KPRC, but I don't vision Tegna selling KHOU to CBS.

If they took KPRC they would probably be forced to take the other NBC stations Graham owns... They probably prevents that... What's to say they have to do anything? Nobody owns all 10 top markets do they?

Fox comes close, but of course they're missing Boston, which they traded for the Bay Area.

Also, TEGNA probably has a death grip on KHOU, and Graham seems small enough to be a future seller but doesn't drop any hints that they intend to sell.

Archived