San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

Oh Yee, KFMB is going dumpster diving at XETV's going out of business sale.

I don't even see XHUAA, XHJK or XHTIT on SD cable lineups. It will likely be dropped completely.

XHUAA is on COX channel 409, I believe... Or what ever the call sign for "Canal de las estrellas/Las Estrellas" is what COX has on 409.

Also, since (not knowing too much on the ins and outs of channel carriage agreements, etc.) the cable co.'s no longer have that obligation to carry XETV, how can they fight to keep the channel 6 spot on cable?

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

XHUAA is on COX channel 409, I believe... Or what ever the call sign for "Canal de las estrellas/Las Estrellas" is what COX has on 409.

Also, since (not knowing too much on the ins and outs of channel carriage agreements, etc.) the cable co.'s no longer have that obligation to carry XETV, how can they fight to keep the channel 6 spot on cable?

"But XETV must be part of "must carry" or else how would they secure the coveted '6' slot on cable"???

Is XETV subject to re-trans....but not "must carry"?

Ok kids.....

Google away for the answer to that million dollar question.

Funny thing is this website knows more about this situation than the actual employees of XETV do. An outside source pointed the XETV folks to this forum a few days ago and they were shocked at the level of information being posted here by others.

Keep the info flowing bouys and girls.

There's a bit of a mistake in the U-T article.

Its program lineup includes some Telemundo shows, the odd sporting event, some older Televisa programs, but not El Chavo. You can see its schedule here.

Every Mexican station has El Chavo. As a Mexican child It was pounded into us that El Chavo was on everywhere...on every TV....at all hours. El Chavo is the Official Mexican National Babysitter.

"But XETV must be part of "must carry" or else how would they secure the coveted '6' slot on cable"???

Is XETV subject to re-trans....but not "must carry"?

Ok kids.....

Google away for the answer to that million dollar question.

Funny thing is this website knows more about this situation than the actual employees of XETV do. An outside source pointed the XETV folks to this forum a few days ago and they were shocked at the level of information being posted here by others.

Keep the info flowing bouys and girls.

No way! Unbelievable. That GM must be a piece of work if he kept his employees in the dark about their impeding layoffs/closure and let other sources report the news before he told them.

And if Hacksaw is reading this: I don't think KFMB wants you, so no need to apply there. K Thx.

You're right on Las Estrellas being there. Sorry about that. But Azteca isn't there, nor are XHBJ, Canal Once/XHTJB (Canal Once's international feed is carried on some systems but not Cox) or Imagen Televisión/XHCTTI (which signed on around November 1). None of the systems have any of these channels. (Izzi in Tijuana, on the other hand, has all the major US stations.)

XETV never had must-carry to begin with in the US. (It does on Mexican-side cable systems, as in Mexico there is no such thing as retrans consent and cable companies must carry all broadcast stations in their area. Televisa even maintains repeaters of XETV that are identical to those of XEWT and XHUAA.) Given the status of most of the other Tijuana stations, XETV is likely to disappear totally from San Diego cable.

No way! Unbelievable. That GM must be a piece of work if he kept his employees in the dark about their impeding layoffs/closure and let other sources report the news before he told them.

And if Hacksaw is reading this: I don't think KFMB wants you, so no need to apply there. K Thx.

The sad part is the news employees couldn't figure this out on their own...with the many good sources of info beside this site. It's kinda sad these people were "reporters".

Well what do ya say we start looking for building plans and pulled permits for Ronson RD.

"Building Plans"??????

Anyone at XETV report any strange "engineers" taking tours in recent weeks???

Ya see it's hard to keep engineers from "accidentally" spilling the beans when a station is being upgraded. It's also difficult to hide building permit applications.

The problem is you have to actually go down to the city offices to get the good stuff since it's not all available on-line.

XETV never had must-carry to begin with in the US. (It does on Mexican-side cable systems, as in Mexico there is no such thing as retrans consent and cable companies must carry all broadcast stations in their area. Televisa even maintains repeaters of XETV that are identical to those of XEWT and XHUAA.) Given the status of most of the other Tijuana stations, XETV is likely to disappear totally from San Diego cable.

So how would a Mexican broadcaster secure those cable highly coveted cable TV assignments (for all these 50 past years) if they are not subject to must carry in the USA?

(see where we are going now?)

Since San Diego has heavy cable penetration, it makes sense that KFMB try to keep "CW6" on cable 6. I think that Midwest might try to buy XETV's syndie shows and slot them so as to not confuse viewers. The only difference is that "CW6" now won't have to run the Mexican national anthem at 5AM anymore.

Thank god! Its probably why they never expanded the morning news before 5am.

Also for other users... what about XHAS 33? Licensed to Tijuana but carries Telemundo.

The sad part is the news employees couldn't figure this out on their own...with the many good sources of info beside this site. It's kinda sad these people were "reporters".

Well what do ya say we start looking for building plans and pulled permits for Ronson RD.

"Building Plans"??????

Anyone at XETV report any strange "engineers" taking tours in recent weeks???

Ya see it's hard to keep engineers from "accidentally" spilling the beans when a station is being upgraded. It's also difficult to hide building permit applications.

The problem is you have to actually go down to the city offices to get the good stuff since it's not all available on-line.

I'm sure BMW of San Diego might be interested in expanding their dealership... At least Mercedes Benz gobbled up KNSD's old property at just the right time.

So how would a Mexican broadcaster secure those cable highly coveted cable TV assignments (for all these 50 past years) if they are not subject to must carry in the USA?

Well, I doubt there's anything to "Must Carry" after 5/31, if anything it's more like "Maybe Carry" but more than likely, "No Carry"

If Travis from TOC is lurking here you better sign up!

Does Travis have an ugly bowl cut with a nasty looking mustache? If so, KFMB does not want you either. Only puurrrdy peeps Plz. K Thx.

And i'd be willing to put up with Hacksaw for one hour (if that) on the new CW, ONLY if him and Ted Leitner are locked in the same studio together. Winner gets to keep the other's coke-bottle glasses.

I'm sure BMW of San Diego might be interested in expanding their dealership... At least Mercedes Benz gobbled up KNSD's old property at just the right time.

Please don't jump ahead in the storyline without first consulting me.

I Planned on introducing the 'collision center standing offer of 2 decades' evidence after the 5pm hour. I want to wait till the close of business on Friday ,so I wouldn't have too much of an adverse affect on the stock market....and so XETV Mgmt could stew all weekend.

Well, retransmission consent! They do pay!

Please don't jump ahead in the storyline without first consulting me.

I Planned on introducing the 'collision center standing offer of 2 decades' evidence after the 5pm hour. I want to wait till the close of business on Friday ,so I wouldn't have too much of an adverse affect on the stock market....and so XETV Mgmt could stew all weekend.

I'm sorry Señor Eat News. It will never happen again. I ask for your forgiveness, I have brought great shame to this thread. :oops:

I'm sorry Señor Eat News. It will never happen again. I ask for your forgiveness, I have brought great shame to this thread. :oops:

You are forgiven my son. Now take my keys for the tunnel and enjoy all of the wild riches!

The Toyota dealership next to XETV has a standing offer (and a running joke) to buy the XETV land and expand the collision center.

But why sell?

Why tear down a perfectly good TV studio that's only 17 years old?

Does that make any sense?

Well, retransmission consent! They do pay!

Shit! Dawg!

Those rat bastards are paying to keep that cable 6 channel and may have a CONTRACT securing XETV on 6 for the next how many years???

Why the heck would you pay that kind of money for crappy CH-9 retrans in the USA?

Unless you need to camp something on that channel as a place holder until 2020?

You already paid for the channel Bub!

Now if KFMB wants to buy you out then fine. Show me the money.

But maybe KFMB might want to talk to the forces at COX 4SD. Anyone else notice the de-branding of 4SD over the last few months?

COX 4 is now called YVCA and not 4SD. Yup 4SD took a giant hit when the Padres went to FOX Sports, the money well went dry at 4SD.

I wonder if the 4 slot on COX is open to an offer from KFMB"?

You wanna force must carry for CW on the basic cable tier if that's even a CW requirement?

Just buy out XETV in the cable 6 slot on all the systems. If KFMB secures the 6 cable slot that will tell us a lot of things. But if XETV refuses to give up Cable 6 then something much bigger is planned for XETV....and it ain't reruns of El Chavo!

"Oh that cost money???"

Guest Former Member 207

I used to listen to Hacksaw when he was hosting early evenings on the old XTRA Sports 690...even better sometimes, the local sports media here in L.A. used to rip on him for his "Headlines" segments because they accused him of making stories up. He was always a target of Jim Rome's during the latter's SoCal and early syndication days.

As for Grit in San Diego...an option could be KGTV, since Katz Broadcasting has a group affiliation deal currently with Scripps in most of their markets. KGTV's only other subs are Laff and a digital re-broadcast of KZSD (Azteca).

You are forgiven my son. Now take my keys for the tunnel and enjoy all of the wild riches!

The Toyota dealership next to XETV has a standing offer (and a running joke) to buy the XETV land and expand the collision center.

But why sell?

Why tear down a perfectly good TV studio that's only 17 years old?

Does that make any sense?

Interesting, but even if they flip to Univision, they could just find a small facility to do their news out of. It's not like Televisa is going to pour boatloads of cash into the operation. If they plan on taking the affiliation away from Entravision, then why not just buy up the KBNT building down the line?

Another (very remote) option could be Tribune buying the XETV building. They could surely use the extra space.

Shit! Dawg!

Those rat bastards are paying to keep that cable 6 channel and may have a CONTRACT securing XETV on 6 for the next how many years???

Why the heck would you pay that kind of money for crappy CH-9 retrans in the USA?

Unless you need to camp something on that channel as a place holder until 2020?

You already paid for the channel Bub!

Now if KFMB wants to buy you out then fine. Show me the money.

But maybe KFMB might want to talk to the forces at COX 4SD. Anyone else notice the de-branding of 4SD over the last few months?

COX 4 is now called YVCA and not 4SD. Yup 4SD took a giant hit when the Padres went to FOX Sports, the money well went dry at 4SD.

I wonder if the 4 slot on COX is open to an offer from KFMB"?

You wanna force must carry for CW on the basic cable tier if that's even a CW requirement?

Just buy out XETV in the cable 6 slot on all the systems. If KFMB secures the 6 cable slot that will tell us a lot of things. But if XETV refuses to give up Cable 6 then something much bigger is planned for XETV....and it ain't reruns of El Chavo!

"Oh that cost money???"

It's better all around if BCTV/Televisa works out an arrangement with COX to give up the 6 slot for future use of channel 4 or permanently secure channel 17, that way there's no "interruption" to cable viewers of Univision.

Interesting, but even if they flip to Univision, they could just find a small facility to do their news out of. It's not like Televisa is going to pour boatloads of cash into the operation. If they plan on taking the affiliation away from Entravision, then why not just buy up the KBNT building down the line?

Televisa already owns the XETV buildings in SD. Knock down (and rtebuild) the old admin building and retro fit the news building. BCTV is being dissolved because it's (soon) to be no longer needed (they hope) when the whole Teve/Uni deal and Univision IPO get going. The whole process should take about 2 years once plans are submitted to the city of SD...that places us right around 2020. NBC/ Telemundo should be fired up right about that time.

The goal of Telemundo and Univision are TJ/SD/LA synergy....to OWN SoCal Spanish news.

The battle for #1 will be on like donkey kong.

If XETV gives up cable 6...

Guts the 2 USA buildings...

Evacuates Ronson road ...

Leaves millions of ad dollars and years of local "goodwill" on the community floor...

And sells to the next door car dealership....

Then we can assume that XETV is gone for good. Bye Bye!

The overall goal of vision of Televisa/XETV is to place the Univision outlet at XETV after the successful Univision IPO and the expected regulatory issues have been resolved.

That's was all great up till yesterday....

Somebody at Televisa freaked out over the political issue of the day....got cold feet and did something kinda stupid.

Now we all wait.

KFMB can have CW on the air as soon as the sat coords are given to them, and the rack space is ready (easy stuff) so don't worry about KFMB cuz they will be just fine.

Let's see what happens at Ronson Road...and watch the building dept. applications and permits....and drive by the building often.

And if you see this sign....

"Future Home of Toyota of Kearny Mesa Collision and Body Center"

....then it's all over....done....dead....muerta!

Otherwise expect a nice new Univision facility...with a working helipad...just like KMEX has.

Let the rat bastards stew on that for the weekend!

Televisa already owns the XETV buildings in SD. Knock down (and rtebuild) the old admin building and retro fit the news building. BCTV is being dissolved because it's (soon) to be no longer needed (they hope) when the whole Teve/Uni deal and Univision IPO get going. The whole process should take about 2 years once plans are submitted to the city of SD...that places us right around 2020. NBC/ Telemundo should be fired up right about that time.

The goal of Telemundo and Univision are TJ/SD/LA synergy....to OWN SoCal Spanish news.

The battle for #1 will be on like donkey kong.

If XETV gives up cable 6...

Guts the 2 USA buildings...

Evacuates Ronson road ...

Leaves millions of ad dollars and years of local "goodwill" on the community floor...

And sells to the next door car dealership....

Then we can assume that XETV is gone for good. Bye Bye!

The overall goal of vision of Televisa/XETV is to place the Univision outlet at XETV after the successful Univision IPO and the expected regulatory issues have been resolved.

That's was all great up till yesterday....

Somebody at Televisa freaked out over the political issue of the day....got cold feet and did something kinda stupid.

Now we all wait.

KFMB can have CW on the air as soon as the sat coords are given to them, and the rack space is ready (easy stuff) so don't worry about KFMB cuz they will be just fine.

Let's see what happens at Ronson Road...and watch the building dept. applications and permits....and drive by the building often.

And if you see this sign....

"Future Home of Toyota of Kearny Mesa Collision and Body Center"

....then it's all over....done....dead....muerta!

Otherwise expect a nice new Univision facility...with a working helipad...just like KMEX has.

Let the rat bastards stew on that for the weekend!

Nice job on the summary. Honest question. Do you think that XETV could have survived being an indy for the next 3+ years until the Univision situation was sorted out? I ask because it seems like XETV was run in a way that had to be self-sufficient and not reliant on Televisa for funds. Had Televisa given them some extra money to work with, i'm sure the place wouldn't have been on a shoestring budget.

Also, SDRadio has an internal email from the GM in regards to the situation. Interesting stuff for sure...

"Lesslye and I returned from meetings with top corporate management last night. As anticipated, we now have the future direction for Bay City we can share.

I wish I had better news. Our corporate ownership has decided that the Channel Six signal and transmission facilities will be used to re-transmit their Channel Nine network effective 12:01am on May 31st. After 64 years, Bay City Television will cease operations.

As we transition to our closing, we will discontinue News programming at the conclusion of our 10pm show on Friday, March 31st. The majority of positions here will end at that time. There will be a small staff retained between March 31st and May 30th to operate the station. We will be communicating with each of you over the next few days.

There are no words that can express my sadness at having to send this email. Senior management and I worked very hard to offer alternative scenarios in the post CW world but corporate has made their decision.

I had a competitor comment recently that we lasted much longer than people thought we would. The reason for that is you, and others that were here in the post-Fox era. We only lived because of your blood, sweat and tears. You produced 43 hours per week of local news on a shoestring budget, understaffed, and with a challenging infrastructure. The many Emmy Awards you won are testament to your peers acknowledging how good you really are in spite of the challenges.

We lived because we had engineers that could perform miracles with duct tape and paper clips 24/7. We had production staff that believed the show will go no matter what. We had a sales department that continually gained a higher share of revenue than Nielsen said they should. We had dedicated people that gave up their nights and weekends to make sure CW6 was in the community. Everyone coped with aging systems and short staffing that challenged you every day. But the job got done. And done well.

As I reflect back on the last 9 years, I'm reminded of something Dan Fouts (Hall of Fame SAN DIEGO Chargers quarterback) said of the Air Coryell era. "We never lost a game. Sometimes the clock just ran out. "

The same can be said for Bay City.

I sincerely hope for each of you that this setback turns into a new opportunity and leads you to even greater things.

What we do over the next 60 days will say a lot about our character. We didn't quietly fade away after Fox and we shouldn't now. This is our chance to try new things. Experiment. Shout. Make the other stations glad they don't have to compete with us after March. We are not going to close the door gently. We're going to slam it.

My door is open. But, I will also be out and around. Happy to talk, answer questions, reminisce, bitch. Whatever.

We didn't lose. The clock just ran out."

Nice job on the summary. Honest question. Do you think that XETV could have survived being an indy for the next 3+ years until the Univision situation was sorted out? I ask because it seems like XETV was run in a way that had to be self-sufficient and not reliant on Televisa for funds. Had Televisa given them some extra money to work with, i'm sure the place wouldn't have been on a shoestring budget.

Also, SDRadio has an internal email from the GM in regards to the situation. Interesting stuff for sure...

Wow. That letter was amazing. Really touching and really just felt for those who will soon be out of a job, whether they find another opportunity or not.

I honestly cannot say except...

The first few years of any FOX News operation are always the best. But when the money stops flowing it's always a giant bitch....and most stations fall pretty hard unless there is a good foundation to continue building a quality operation.

It's sad such a fine place was fucked up by assholes from Tribune( Sam Zell) when they lost the FOX affil.

Good Bye good friend.

XETV 6...

Ole!

I honestly cannot say except...

The first few years of any FOX News operation are always the best. But when the money stops flowing it's always a giant bitch....and most stations fall pretty hard unless there is a good foundation to continue building a quality operation.

It's sad such a fine place was fucked up by assholes from Tribune( Sam Zell) when they lost the FOX affil.

Good Bye good friend.

XETV 6...

Ole!

If memory serves me correctly, weren't the FOX suits seen sniffing around KUSI just before the affiliation ended up going to KSWB?

Either way, XETV was not going to stay with FOX. I think there's a thread in this forum on the KSWB/FOX affiliation (unless it disappeared- it's been a really long time). But I do remember mentioning on that forum about a recorded meeting that Zell was doing at one of the Tribune stations (one of those, get to know the CEO b.s. town hall format meetings) and he mentioned that FOX went to Tribune first for the affiliation and they passed on it. When Zell heard about it, he personally called the suits at FOX to offer the station up for affiliation (this after the rumors that had employees at KUSI seeing FOX suits in the building).

om

If memory serves me correctly, weren't the FOX suits seen sniffing around KUSI just before the affiliation ended up going to KSWB?

Either way, XETV was not going to stay with FOX. I think there's a thread in this forum on the KSWB/FOX affiliation (unless it disappeared- it's been a really long time). But I do remember mentioning on that forum about a recorded meeting that Zell was doing at one of the Tribune stations (one of those, get to know the CEO b.s. town hall format meetings) and he mentioned that FOX went to Tribune first for the affiliation and they passed on it. When Zell heard about it, he personally called the suits at FOX to offer the station up for affiliation (this after the rumors that had employees at KUSI seeing FOX suits in the building).

Nobody at KUSI ever saw anyone from FOX....ever....it never happened that way.

They wouldn't have known any of the players involved at that time...and any FOX people touring KUSI would have been outside vendors / engineers and appraisers.

I spoke to KFMB via Facebook tonight and here's what's confirmed so far...

1) Channel 8.3 will be home to The CW.

2) Won't be put on 8.2 due to Me-TV and KFMB having an agreement to have Me-TV on 8.2

3) Trying to keep Channel 6 slot open for KFMB's new CW subchannel so that they can hopefully continue to use the "CW 6" name.

4) KFMB acquires The CW on May 31st at 12:01am PDT, NOT in September from earlier reports.

5) There will be local news on the CW subchannel, but never told me what they are. (Will more likely be XETV's news times except weekdays 5-7am and weekends 8-10am)

EDIT: So basically, KFMB's subchannels WILL be like this...

8.1 = CBS 8

8.2 = Me-TV San Diego

8.3 = CW 6

Archived