San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

it was right below the Master Control Operator listing.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/34477192/kfmb-stations-multi-media-journalist-reporter

Whoa!

Tom Warren the (chief photog) must be pissed!

Or Tom must have finally retired.

MMJ's at KFMB would signal many bad things....

It is widely believed that certain "agreements" still exist that were created after the KFMB Strike of 1975-76. The shooters at KFMB used to be union a long time ago. Midwest TV made agreements to keep KFMB union free. KFMB shooters and editors have operated like a quasi-union for years. Midwest allowed this to keep the union off the ass of KFMB (sans aftra) for all these years. Solid work rules, overtime, etc

This has also contributed to the high labor cost at KFMB.

Don't get me wrong...

KFMB has some great shooters, but most the old timers are dead or gone. Tom Warren, Scott Hall and Charlie Langdon are the only ones left.

KUSI has been a MMJ free shop (sans sports)...but that's because reporters destroy cameras, and Mckinnon hated to replace cameras. KUSI prefers sending stringers to breaking news so it's own equipment does not get destroyed.

Besides,

Can you imagine what a package created by a KUSI MMJ would look like?

(cats sleeping with dogs)

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whoa!

Tom Warren the (chief photog) must be pissed!

Or Tom must have finally retired.

MMJ's at KFMB would signal many bad things....

It is widely believed that certain "agreements" still exist that were created after the KFMB Strike of 1975-76. The shooters at KFMB used to be union a long time ago. Midwest TV made agreements to keep KFMB union free. KFMB shooters and editors have operated like a quasi-union for years. Midwest allowed this to keep the union off the ass of KFMB (sans aftra) for all these years. Solid work rules, overtime, etc

This has also contributed to the high labor cost at KFMB.

Don't get me wrong...

KFMB has some great shooters, but most the old timers are dead or gone. Tom Warren, Scott Hall and Charlie Langdon are the only ones left.

KUSI has been a MMJ free shop (sans sports)...but that's because reporters destroy cameras, and Mckinnon hated to replace cameras. KUSI prefers sending stringers to breaking news so it's own equipment does not get destroyed.

Besides,

Can you imagine what a package created by a KUSI MMJ would look like?

(cats sleeping with dogs)

Or more like: Old people dancing/playing bingo at the retirement home (perfect for KUSI's fossilized audience).

And i'm guessing McKinnon(s) doesn't allow anyone outside of the anchors to touch the news desk, otherwise they'll be forced to buy a new one. Oh the horror!

And in regards to the other stuff: if they're incorporating MMJ's, then you surely know that they're going to cut, cut, cut and we all know why.... I'm sure prospective suitors do not like to see bloated operations.

Or more like: Old people dancing/playing bingo at the retirement home (perfect for KUSI's fossilized audience).

And i'm guessing McKinnon(s) doesn't allow anyone outside of the anchors to touch the news desk, otherwise they'll be forced to buy a new one. Oh the horror!

And in regards to the other stuff: if they're incorporating MMJ's, then you surely know that they're going to cut, cut, cut and we all know why.... I'm sure prospective suitors do not like to see bloated operations.

You got it all wrong...

The KUSI audiance is not old....they are just collecting ALL episodes of Law & Order (are you listening Ansin)....have some respect for the older folks.

and about that set...

It's not "old"....

It's got "Patina"....like on the HG Network.

Honestly.....have some respect for the older and finer things in life.

So here is the deal...

You (KFMB) are going to hire 2 former CW staffers....and one has to be a producer.

That leaves you with ONE choice for someone from CW6 to come to KFMB/CW...

Who you gonna choose????

Lynda Martin?

Renee Kohn???

Ruben Galvin???

Jason Austell???

You only get one...

One vote per person...

NO WAGERING!

So here is the deal...

You (KFMB) are going to hire 2 former CW staffers....and one has to be a producer.

Who you gonna choose????

Lynda Martin?

Renee Kohn???

Ruben Galvin???

Jason Austell???

You only get one...

One vote per person...

NO WAGERING!

I'm going with Lynda. She's the veteran since day 1 when FOX 6 started.

Jason will be full circle if he did end up back at KFMB where he started.

Renee can always wander back to her roots at KUSI where she started lol

You got it all wrong...

The KUSI audiance is not old....they are just collecting ALL episodes of Law & Order (are you listening Ansin)....have some respect for the older folks.

and about that set...

It's not "old"....

It's got "Patina"....like on the HG Network.

Honestly.....have some respect for the older and finer things in life.

My apologies Señor Eat. I meant no disrespect to KUSI's veteran audience.

So here is the deal...

Who you gonna choose????

Lynda Martin?

Renee Kohn???

Ruben Galvin???

Jason Austell???

You only get one...

One vote per person...

NO WAGERING!

Is that all they're poaching from XETV?

Lynda has recent history at KFMB.

Renee is ehhh, nothing much to add.

Ruben- ship sailed long ago.

Jason- safe choice, familiar face.

What about Neda? I think Neda would fit in well at KFMB since she can pass as Barbara-Lee's sister.

Honestly, they should bring Jason, Neda and Sabrina over. It would really help with the transition, and with extra resources from KFMB, it might give KSWB some healthy competition.

My apologies Señor Eat. I meant no disrespect to KUSI's veteran audience.

Is that all they're poaching from XETV?

Lynda has recent history at KFMB.

Renee is ehhh, nothing much to add.

Ruben- ship sailed long ago.

Jason- safe choice, familiar face.

What about Neda? I think Neda would fit in well at KFMB since she can pass as Barbara-Lee's sister.

Honestly, they should bring Jason, Neda and Sabrina over. It would really help with the transition, and with extra resources from KFMB, it might give KSWB some healthy competition.

No dis-respect to Neda or the others I missed, you can write in anyone you wish.

2 schools of thought...

Why import the past problems of CW6?

Or..

CW6 news was actually turning a profit, but XETV is seeking a better deal down the road. KFMB will inherit the mild success of CW6 News and will be able to afford a few key faces.

I'm in analysis mode now with XETV...just sit and wait....and watch...and wait. There are a lot of little things happening right now that may or MAY NOT be related

The MMJ thing is very troubling in soooo many ways. It's the Oroville dam scenario if KFMB starts going MMJ. KFMB reporters have it pretty easy compared to the rest of the kids in town. I know many recent KFMB reporters have MMJ experience...but we all know that's the first thing that happens when a legacy station trims news staff.

You cannot compare XETV CW6 to whatever KFMB has planned. Too many variables and unknowns. We don't know the numbers, and we never will. I don't think KFMB has to invest a lot into the CW news commitment, no real need for new sets or extra staff. KFMB should be able to just absorb CW with little effort.

No dis-respect to Neda or the others I missed, you can write in anyone you wish.

2 schools of thought...

Why import the past problems of CW6?

Or..

CW6 news was actually turning a profit, but XETV is seeking a better deal down the road. KFMB will inherit the mild success of CW6 News and will be able to afford a few key faces.

I'm in analysis mode now with XETV...just sit and wait....and watch...and wait. There are a lot of little things happening right now that may or MAY NOT be related

The MMJ thing is very troubling in soooo many ways. It's the Oroville dam scenario if KFMB starts going MMJ. KFMB reporters have it pretty easy compared to the rest of the kids in town. I know many recent KFMB reporters have MMJ experience...but we all know that's the first thing that happens when a legacy station trims news staff.

You cannot compare XETV CW6 to whatever KFMB has planned. Too many variables and unknowns. We don't know the numbers, and we never will. I don't think KFMB has to invest a lot into the CW news commitment, no real need for new sets or extra staff. KFMB should be able to just absorb CW with little effort.

No doubt. Given what the GM said in the UT article, it was almost assured that this new venture is going to be with minimal investment.

During the Local 8 days, they had two sets of anchor teams for the 4/5/6/11pm newscasts, and that was with less newscasts than what this new CW has committed to. So it's not out of the realm of possibilities that they go the same route. That being said, will the anchors really be that willing to add more newscasts to their schedules? Because that would put Dan/Nichelle at 5.5 hours a day of anchoring, and Carlo/Barbara-Lee at 4 hours/day.

And an aside: Last week they had an opening for a reporter position, then it was removed. Not sure if they hired someone or if they replaced it with that MMJ position.

That being said, will the anchors really be that willing to add more newscasts to their schedules? Because that would put Dan/Nichelle at 5.5 hours a day of anchoring, and Carlo/Barbara-Lee at 4 hours/day.

Well they are not pitchers in a little league baseball game...so as long as they get the required 10minute break...and 30 minute lunch...and we don't beat them or torment them.

...They will anchor like little robots until we tell them to stop.

They are narcissistic anchors... just like the others, and will do as they are told, or the precocious "anchor mommy " status will be REVOKED.

They will have to sit in the Scripps Ranch Elementary School carpool line with the other regular "not on TeeVee mommies".

Oh the humiliation and horror!

Hey if KUSI and KSWB can run all morning long....

Well they are not pitchers in a little league baseball game...so as long as they get the required 10minute break...and 30 minute lunch...and we don't beat them or torment them.

...They will anchor like little robots until we tell them to stop.

They are narcissistic anchors... just like the others, and will do as they are told, or the precocious "anchor mommy " status will be REVOKED.

They will have to sit in the Scripps Ranch Elementary School carpool line with the other regular "not on TeeVee mommies".

Oh the humiliation and horror!

Hey if KUSI and KSWB can run all morning long....

Yup. I only brought it up, because like you mentioned before, they have it pretty good at 8 so you know they're bound to bitch about additional work. The folks at the other stations are accustomed to the more [work] for less [money] way of operating.

And didn't you get the memo? KSWB split the morning news between two anchor teams. Because you know, they didn't have enough time to anchor, drink wine, and eat cupcakes.

And didn't you get the memo? KSWB split the morning news between two anchor teams. Because you know, they didn't have enough time to anchor, drink wine, and eat cupcakes.

At KUSIBoth Carlos and Lisa work all morning AND then both volunteer all the remainder of the day delivering meals-on-wheels..

Then Lisa goes to the Senior Center and reads to old people...while Carlos supervises probationers picking up trash on the freeways.

Dedication!

That's KUSI!

At KUSIBoth Carlos and Lisa work all morning AND then both volunteer all the remainder of the day delivering meals-on-wheels..

Then Lisa goes to the Senior Center and reads to old people...while Carlos supervises probationers picking up trash on the freeways.

Dedication!

That's KUSI!

People you know, News you trust

KUSI news

And by reading to old people, you mean John Coleman, right?

Does the CW Plus still exist as a programming source? I ask that if KFMB isn't able to purchase all of XETV's programming inventory at fire sale rates...

I would not at all be surprised if San Diego sees its television news options cut in half to as little as three by the late 2020s

That applies to almost all television markets. The youngest demos are less and less apt to watch conventional television, and they will come of age in a decade from now.

Little Digs

In these final days of CW6 it's fun to catch those parting "little Digs".

Tonight's little dig was in a story about how the cannabis industry is retraining people for the new data entry/ programming jobs expected to be available .

Part of the script read...

"Some of those being retrained are from the (insert blue collar profession) bla bla trades...

....and some former TV newsroom employees...."

Little digs.

There will be more I'm sure.

I guess the nice thing is XETV is letting CW6 wind down in a way that allows the staff to work on those resume reels. You are seeing some good stuff on CW6 right now. No mistakes...solid reporting and shooting / editing...best clothes...best stand-ups etc.

XETV could have just yanked the plug, but they didn't ,so kudos to them.

I feel for those sad tomatoes.

Heard another dig this morning when they were talking about a cannabis startup class, and some of the students including "former TV newsroom employees"

XHBJ already airs Gala TV, albeit in SD on RF 44 (45.1 Virtual). Though they might have made it available in HD, though Canal 5 might end up being the Spanish station as they can easily move 6.2 to 6.1 and Canal 5 was being broadcasted in Analog on CH. 6. So that could be a possibility or maybe even Univision.

http://www.cbs8.com/category/286301/kfmb-station-jobs

KFMB has been hiring for the new station and all new positions seem to mention the CW! I guess they could get some XETV talent or who knows what they are going to hire.

It's already been discussed. Check a few pages back. Those job listings have been up for a few weeks now.

Do we have an update on whether or not KFMB secured the channel 6 position on cable and satellite providers? Otherwise it seems channel 4 would be the logical choice. Or is 4SD still around?

How does that work for DirecTV and Dish when assigning their OTA channel? They have always gone off of real OTA channel number. Isn't there strict regulation on that? Can't have channel 8.3 on the satellite line up.

XETV's 4 PM newscast has been scrapped, only the 5-9 AM and 10 PM news remain.

So sad, wait 9am? What about San Diego living from 9-10am? Now it begins. I hope someone can record the last morning and evening newscasts.

So how rare is this: Tabitha Lipkin has been filling in at CW6 since Sabrina Fein left on maternity leave. Up until YESTERDAY, Tabitha was still doing weather for them. Today, she's hopped over to KSWB FOX5. Literally, not even 24hrs and she's jumped ship.

I haven't seen Jason Austell in several days, not sure what the deal is there, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone. They will literally not make it to the end of the month. The flies at XETV are dropping left and right.

Edit: Tabitha is double dipping. Working for KSWB and freelancing at XETV until 3/31. I am truly surprised. Never before have I seen a news personality going from one rival station to the other in the span of a few hours.

So how rare is this: Tabitha Lipkin has been filling in at CW6 since Sabrina Fein left on maternity leave. Up until YESTERDAY, Tabitha was still doing weather for them. Today, she's hopped over to KSWB FOX5. Literally, not even 24hrs and she's jumped ship.

I haven't seen Jason Austell in several days, not sure what the deal is there, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone. They will literally not make it to the end of the month. The flies at XETV are dropping left and right.

Edit: Tabitha is double dipping. Working for KSWB and freelancing at XETV until 3/31. I am truly surprised. Never before have I seen a news personality going from one rival station to the other in the span of a few hours.

That's gotta be one of the strangest arrangements. Working for two competitors at the same time?

Archived