San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

Apparently they're going to have some kind of announcement at 11am on "changes" that are happening at CBS 8.

[MEDIA=twitter]845292850686308352[/MEDIA]

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like how they're still "The KFMB Stations". Sounds even classy when there aren't many clusters like them left.

It helps that all the properties use the KFMB call sign

KFMB-TV

KFMB-AM

KFMB-FM

What a stupid waste of 2 minutes of airtime. They ran a package showing how they removed their sign outside of their building, cut it up into pieces and ran a package showing some history of the station.

Did they mention the CW coming to channel 8? Nope

Did they show the new CW logo/sign? Nope

Did they answer any lingering questions in regards to all these changes? NOPE

Did they waste the viewer's time? YUP

Basically all they did was tell us that there were big changes coming. No details, no nothing. Ironic, given that they pride themselves in being the best news organizations in the market...

What a stupid waste of 2 minutes of airtime. They ran a package showing how they removed their sign outside of their building, cut it up into pieces and ran a package showing some history of the station.

Basically all they did was tell us that there were big changes coming. No details, no nothing. Ironic, given that they pride themselves in being the best news organizations in the market...

I wonder if they are under some sort of "non-compete" clause where they can't announce anything until after XETV's news operation disappears, besides the initial announcement.

I wonder if they are under some sort of "non-compete" clause where they can't announce anything until after XETV's news operation disappears, besides the initial announcement.

That's what I was wondering as well, but why then go through all of this b.s. if they can't say anything? If people saw the sign and then ask about the changes, they could have just not responded now they tell everyone that there are changes coming but don't say squat. Not very logical, IMO.

Make the announcement when you have all of the details, is what i'm saying. Otherwise it's all a waste of time.

That's what I was wondering as well, but why then go through all of this b.s. if they can't say anything? If people saw the sign and then ask about the changes, they could have just not responded now they tell everyone that there are changes coming but don't say squat. Not very logical, IMO.

Make the announcement when you have all of the details, is what i'm saying. Otherwise it's all a waste of time.

One of the news producers from KFMB must be following our conversations at TVNewsTalk and must be testing our patience.

Seriously, I wonder how "big" these "changes" will be? Pat Robertson and Maury will now be under their programming umbrella? The report talked about content changes and focused on their commitment to news programing. Must be a very slow news day in San Diego if they have to announce literally nothing.

One of the news producers from KFMB must be following our conversations at TVNewsTalk and must be testing our patience.

Seriously, I wonder how "big" these "changes" will be? Pat Robertson and Maury will now be under their programming umbrella?

Can't forget Jerry Springer and Steve Wilkos!

Ohhh allow me!

What a croc of goo.

It's a package on the re-paving and new sign.

http://www.cbs8.com/clip/13198851/big-changes-on-the-way-for-kfmb

I got more out of them in a 5 minute call.

I say we flood Ashley Jacobs with emails asking what cable channel they will be on.

"I Don't Know"!

Ohhh allow me!

What a croc of goo.

It's a package on the re-paving and new sign.

http://www.cbs8.com/clip/13198851/big-changes-on-the-way-for-kfmb

I got more out of them in a 5 minute call.

I say we flood Ashley Jacobs with emails asking what cable channel they will be on.

"I Don't Know"!

She doesn't specialize in all that hard nooze stuff. Her specialty's are playing with animals, picking flowers, and having fun at the playground.

She can't even read the whole call sign completely. Twice in her report she said "KFM" guess adding the that extra letter "B" was too much...?

I knew it was gonna be a waste of time.

Didnt mention nothing about The CW coming to KFMB.

Btw, was KFMB was lazy till now to change the sign? Because it still said "Jack FM" knowing it has since changed to "KFM-BFM." I guess that's where Ashley got the KFMB from... "100.7 KFM-BFM"

Ahhh yaaaa guys...

Pretty sad report, I'm as shocked as all of you are at the level of stupidity that report reached.

I'm embarrassed to say that I even don't know those people.

Here is the super strange observation.

There is really zero interest in this switch by the general public. Nobody at KFMB is being flooded with calls or emails about the pending switch.

Zero excitement...zero buzz.

The public is pretty unaware, or they just don't care.

Nobody has a clue what cable channel CW will pop-up on June 1st.

I'm also not really sure KFMB is able to bring enough clout to the table in negations with the COX and Spectrum folks without the monetary support of CBS /CW. COX and Spectrum have KFMB by the nuts If XETV is giving up "6" on both systems, you can bet the knee pads are coming out.

Why would CBS and CW get involved with what SHOULD be a KFMB only battle over some cable channels? We will probably never know.....unless....

Unless....

(tick....tick....tick)

Irony...

This is why CW6 news is failing...

http://www.sandiego6.com/trump-to-cut-public-broadcast-funding-what-this-means-for-kpbs-san-diego/

They sent Neda off to interview the GM of KPBS about possible funding cuts. The story is just awful. She tells us we could lose favorite shows like Bob Ross and Mr. Rodgers.

Holy Pledge Drive Neda!!!

Those guys are DEAD!!! They already got canceled!!!!

Who produces this Garibaldi crap?

Hey Neda...

KPBS is frigging loaded with cash. The KPBS news staff make 10 times what they make at XETV, plus they get free health care, Netflix lactation stations, and a lunch buffet that rivals Home Town Buffet...but with free soda's.

I hope you all at XETV are praying for those poor people at KPBS.

Ahhh yaaaa guys...

Pretty sad report, I'm as shocked as all of you are at the level of stupidity that report reached.

There is really zero interest in this switch by the general public. Nobody at KFMB is being flooded with calls or emails about the pending switch.

I'm also not really sure KFMB is able to bring enough clout to the table in negations with the COX and Spectrum folks without the monetary support of CBS /CW. COX and Spectrum have KFMB by the nuts If XETV is giving up "6" on both systems, you can bet the knee pads are coming out.

Why would CBS and CW get involved with what SHOULD be a KFMB only battle over some cable channels? We will probably never know.....unless....

Unless....

(tick....tick....tick)

Well, we can safely say that KFMB got their nuts handed to them during the Cox retrans dispute back in December...

Someone is holding the door shut to keep things from transitioning smoothly. Wonder who?...

Ahhh yaaaa guys...

Unless....

(tick....tick....tick)

Moonves and Chenbot invading the whale's !@#^$+?

Ahhh yaaaa guys...

Unless....

(tick....tick....tick)

Moonves and Chenbot invading the whale's !@#^$+?

Wait, wait. CBS corporate is getting involved in this fiasco?!

Wait, wait. CBS corporate is getting involved in this fiasco?!

I would not rule it out.

Ya know it may benefit CBS down the road to "invest" in securing that channel(s).

Just talking out my ass on that one...

(but it would make total sense)

I would not rule it out.

Ya know it may benefit CBS down the road to "invest" in securing that channel(s).

Just talking out my ass on that one...

(but it would make total sense)

hmmm, I see. I mentioned this a while back, but I believe that CBS is/was willing to (re)negotiate retrans deals on behalf of its affiliates- for a fee of course. It was published in an article somewhere, can't recall where or when. Anyways, it'd be interesting to know if KFMB has ever approached the network to help them out when dealing with the cable/sat co's.

KFMB needs to secure those channels without question. But I don't think KFMB has the money to pull it off alone. They NEED CBS/CW to assist in a long term deal with the carriers. What choice do they have?

It's got to be killing the CW folks that there is zero promotion of the switch. But everyone must have known this was going to be an issue, so i'm betting there are all kinds of high level meetings taking place to get 4 or 6 on both systems. Otherwise CW went into this knowing full well there was going to be a sub-channel only deal , and KFMB was going to have to fight it out with COX and Spectrum all alone. Would that make any sense?

KFMB needs to secure those channels without question. But I don't think KFMB has the money to pull it off alone. They NEED CBS/CW to assist in a long term deal with the carriers. What choice do they have?

It's got to be killing the CW folks that there is zero promotion of the switch. But everyone must have known this was going to be an issue, so i'm betting there are all kinds of high level meetings taking place to get 4 or 6 on both systems. Otherwise CW went into this knowing full well there was going to be a sub-channel only deal , and KFMB was going to have to fight it out with COX and Spectrum all alone. Would that make any sense?

The CW affiliation switch seems like a hassle and there must be some sort of contract issue that's prohibiting KFMB to officially move forward with the announcement. Poor Ashley Jacobs didn't have enough material to fill up a two minute segment and decided to just go with a disjointed tease.

I'm wondering now if the last ever newscast of CW6 will even make any mention of XETV's legacy and history and the future of their talent, on-air and off...I'm beginning to think it will just be another regular newscast slight with jabs about the station's end and fake smiles... I must say they have been putting out good stories these past few weeks though, they are giving it their all and it has been nice to see.

I don't think it would be in good taste to promote the switch at least until XETV's news department closes.

I don't think it would be in good taste to promote the switch at least until XETV's news department closes.

Lol

'Good taste"....

I forgot we were playing by the Olde Tyme English Gentlemans rules.

I need to stop.

The CW affiliation switch seems like a hassle and there must be some sort of contract issue that's prohibiting KFMB to officially move forward with the announcement. Poor Ashley Jacobs didn't have enough material to fill up a two minute segment and decided to just go with a disjointed tease.

I'm wondering now if the last ever newscast of CW6 will even make any mention of XETV's legacy and history and the future of their talent, on-air and off...I'm beginning to think it will just be another regular newscast slight with jabs about the station's end and fake smiles... I must say they have been putting out good stories these past few weeks though, they are giving it their all and it has been nice to see.

Something about this whole affiliation move seems weird. I mean, if XETV and KSWB were allowed to promote their new networks in 2008, why can't KFMB promote the CW on its channel? They already moved up the switch date by 3 months from the original switch day, so right off the bat the network hamstrung 8.

As silly as it may sound, I honestly think that a majority of the viewers have no idea of the impending switch. Even if they know that the news department will shut down, they're still most likely under the impression that the CW will still be on channel 6. Come June 1st, if 6 is still not the place to find the CW, then that's when you're going to get the flood of phone calls wondering what happened to the network and why there was no promotion of the switch.

So hypothetically, let's say that they start to "promote" the switch on 4/1. Are they going to be shoving 1 or 2 promos every commercial break until 5/31? Because i'm sure that it doesn't make good business sense to replace an ad/sponsor with a promo--irregardless if you already have padded your inventory for it. Does that mean that they stop "promoting" CBS 8 and focus on CW? See where i'm going with this?...

Something's gotta give, and I wonder if these changes will finally be the straw that broke the camel's back and forces Midwest to sell. I mean, in this current landscape, a standalone TV outlet has very little leverage against the big boys.

Something about this whole affiliation move seems weird. I mean, if XETV and KSWB were allowed to promote their new networks in 2008, why can't KFMB promote the CW on its channel? They already moved up the switch date by 3 months from the original switch day, so right off the bat the network hamstrung 8.

As silly as it may sound, I honestly think that a majority of the viewers have no idea of the impending switch. Even if they know that the news department will shut down, they're still most likely under the impression that the CW will still be on channel 6. Come June 1st, if 6 is still not the place to find the CW, then that's when you're going to get the flood of phone calls wondering what happened to the network and why there was no promotion of the switch.

So hypothetically, let's say that they start to "promote" the switch on 4/1. Are they going to be shoving 1 or 2 promos every commercial break until 5/31? Because i'm sure that it doesn't make good business sense to replace an ad/sponsor with a promo--irregardless if you already have padded your inventory for it. Does that mean that they stop "promoting" CBS 8 and focus on CW? See where i'm going with this?...

Something's gotta give, and I wonder if these changes will finally be the straw that broke the camel's back and forces Midwest to sell. I mean, in this current landscape, a standalone TV outlet has very little leverage against the big boys.

See...

Im NOT crazy....yes....yes you see the light!!!!

Follow me.....!!!

I have more yummy kool-aid....

...enough for everyone here..

I swear I talked with the person at KFMB (not news) that would know...100%.

I dare anyone here (just for shits and giggles) to call the CS/Promo/ Marketing dept at KFMB and ask what cable ch??

They will say "Ahhh we don't know"....

When you ask...

"Why would you not know what channels you will be on silly?"

(DEAD AIR)

"I mean really Mr.Promo guy....how on earth can you announce a giant affilate switch and NOT know what channel you will be on?"

"We forgot to ask COX and Spectrum?" they may say..

(click)

Huh?

San Diego has one of the highest cable penetration markets of all time...and you DON't know what channel you are on?

Does that sound just truly F&*%ing Insane from the marketing and promotions dept??

Take a vacation promo guys!

I'm not crazy!

All I wanted was a Pepsi...

And she wouldn't give it to me!

Just one Pepsi!

If KFMB is confident they are getting channel 6 on cable and satellite then they don't need to advertise the change. They're just going to let viewers see the new and improved CW 6. What would advertising or promoting it do? It's not going to grow their audience any. People who watch CW now will watch it in May and those who don't watch it now. Well...

Archived