San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do we have an update on whether or not KFMB secured the channel 6 position on cable and satellite providers? Otherwise it seems channel 4 would be the logical choice. Or is 4SD still around?

How does that work for DirecTV and Dish when assigning their OTA channel? They have always gone off of real OTA channel number. Isn't there strict regulation on that? Can't have channel 8.3 on the satellite line up.

I'm looking at Dish in particular and there is the occasional nonsensical number...

KSBW-DT2 is carried on 16

WENY-DT2 (CBS) is carried on 55

WAGM-DT2 is carried on 16 (both KSBW and WAGM are RF 8, VC 8)

KHON-DT2 is carried on 3

WJHG-DT2 is carried on 8

In a few cases, the branded channel number is used wholesale:

WGGB-DT2 "Fox 6" is carried on 6

KECY-DT2 "ABC 5" is carried on 5 and its DT4 Telemundo on 3 (but The CW is on 16 instead of 6)

In some cases, the RF number is used when it varies:

KHBS-DT2 (CW) is carried on 21

WCBD-DT2 (CW) is carried on 50

They carry XHAS on 34 (their RF number) for some reason instead of the expected 33.

In other words, their Dish position will be a big unknown, but I expect DirecTV to just put it on 8-3 as they like subchannels and hyphenated numbers.

And now she's doing weather on 6's 10pm news.o_O

Isn't that a conflict of interest? Didn't that happen with an anchor in the Midwest but I'm thinking it was a contract issue. The new station made her as virtual Anchor something similar to the sims until she was finally released from the other station and she was ready to be on camera.

Isn't that a conflict of interest? Didn't that happen with an anchor in the Midwest but I'm thinking it was a contract issue. The new station made her as virtual Anchor something similar to the sims until she was finally released from the other station and she was ready to be on camera.

Most of the CW6 reporters were freelancers /1099's, and part-timers. It's not uncommon anymore to see them bounce in-market. Once you secure a contract it all changes. Stations would prefer you stay loyal if you are getting daily work. But if you are only getting a few days a month it's really no biggie.

Keep an eye on the deep AM KGTV weekend shows, because a lot of the new Muffy's and Skippy's seem to pass thru on those shows.

Most of the CW6 reporters were freelancers /1099's, and part-timers. It's not uncommon anymore to see them bounce in-market. Once you secure a contract it all changes. Stations would prefer you stay loyal if you are getting daily work. But if you are only getting a few days a month it's really no biggie.

Keep an eye on the deep AM KGTV weekend shows, because a lot of the new Muffy's and Skippy's seem to pass thru on those shows.

Kristen Keogh is leaving soon. Her position is being advertised already.

As for Tabby, I'm a bit perplexed as to what her role will be at KSWB seeing that all the weather positions are taken.

Kristen Keogh is leaving soon. Her position is being advertised already.

As for Tabby, I'm a bit perplexed as to what her role will be at KSWB seeing that all the weather positions are taken.

I always thought Kristen was too good to be a weathercaster on just the weekends, so I'm not really surprised she's leaving.

As for Tabby, she also does freelance on conservative network OANN too according to a recent Twitter post of hers, so she's everywhere. Not surprised that she's gotten the opportunity to go to a new station this quickly. Perhaps they are opening up a weekend morning telecast soon and need help? KSWB is still sweeping out talent from XETV till the bitter end.

That's gotta be one of the strangest arrangements. Working for two competitors at the same time?

I can't think of anything similar to this on the TV end. I mean, people can jump from station to station in the span of a day, but not simultaneously.

On the radio end, radio sportscaster Mark "Munch" Bishop jumped from the Cleveland (what is now) iHeart cluster to the market's ESPN Radio affiliate back in March 2007. Somehow, Mark was on both the iHeart stations (in the morning) and the ESPN affiliate (in the afternoon), simultaneously, for a full week. Never understood how that was even possible.

That's gotta be one of the strangest arrangements. Working for two competitors at the same time?

The only thing I can think of, is that everyone knows CW6 is a goner in a few days - and they're letting her "double-dip", knowing full well "She ain't goin' back after Tuesday...".

J

The only thing I can think of, is that everyone knows CW6 is a goner in a few days - and they're letting her "double-dip", knowing full well "She ain't goin' back after Tuesday...".

That's exactly what it is. As people begin leaving the moribund operation for continued employment elsewhere, they're looking for help just to finish out the quarter with the bare minimum news service. They're probably contractually obligated to their advertisers to retain newscasts through 3/31, plus it's nice and neat to close on a quarter.

That's exactly what it is. As people begin leaving the moribund operation for continued employment elsewhere, they're looking for help just to finish out the quarter with the bare minimum news service. They're probably contractually obligated to their advertisers to retain newscasts through 3/31, plus it's nice and neat to close on a quarter.

It's not surprising that XETV would allow it seeing that they really have nothing to lose/gain at this point. What's surprising is that KSWB would allow it-- would it have been detrimental to their operational needs to have her wait until April 1st to make her debut there?

It's not surprising that XETV would allow it seeing that they really have nothing to lose/gain at this point. What's surprising is that KSWB would allow it-- would it have been detrimental to their operational needs to have her wait until April 1st to make her debut there?

It's all about warm bodies. These are freelancers that just about nobody really knows.

One fine morning long ago I was watching the noon offerings of PIX, KTVU and whoever else was on at that time. The lead story was some B.S. out of D.C.

At the time CNN's Skip Loeser was fronting the generic affil liveshot on the story that would hit around :01...

Next thing ya know every SF station is running that B.S. live shot......at the same time.

Just because they could....

The point is that most the canons , exclusive traditions, or even network "loyalty" is gone and out the window.

Would anyone be shocked to find out that one local reporter has a part-time job at Forever 21?

Earlier this morning, XETV aired its last weekend morning newscast. After tonight's 10:00pm news, all weekend news on XETV will be over.

It will just be weekday morning (5:00-9:00am) and weeknight 10:00pm news for the next three weeks afterwards until XETV shuts down news for good.

Gotta shift them bodies around. They had a producer or director, cant remember which, leave after Friday's 10pm show. This station is dying a slow painful death. And the most surprising part is that the AM and PM male anchors were off this past week. I'm guessing they had to burn off some vacation hours so the station didn't have to pay it out.

Will they even make to the end?

Of what, the originally announced ending for news programming or their time as a CW affiliate?

If it's the latter, I hope KFMB is ready to take over the affiliation early.

It seems that the local owner of KFMB is trying to phase the operation in so that it appears seamless - maybe they will even keep the same logo? Are they waiving non-compete clauses as well?

How? I haven't seen anything to that effect, unless I missed something. Hell, I don't think they're even advertising the new CW venture just yet.

Of what, the originally announced ending for news programming or their time as a CW affiliate?

If it's the latter, I hope KFMB is ready to take over the affiliation early.

KFMB is already taking the affiliation early--on May 1st, as opposed to September. Highly doubtful they'll take it in sooner. Even though the news operation will shut down on 3/31, there will be some employees in the building to ensure that the network is still up and running until they shut down for good.

How? I haven't seen anything to that effect, unless I missed something. Hell, I don't think they're even advertising the new CW venture just yet.

KFMB is already taking the affiliation early--on May 1st, as opposed to September. Highly doubtful they'll take it in sooner. Even though the news operation will shut down on 3/31, there will be some employees in the building to ensure that the network is still up and running until they shut down for good.

Remember folks, there is no master control in the USA. All CW switching goes through Tijuana.

Ronson road is only a news production studio. The Bay Cities sales office is across the lot in the old building.

The only warm bodies needed to be in Kearny mesa are engineers and security guards and the people that will be stripping the place...or refurbishing the place for it's next "life".

Looking for that "Future Home Of Toyota Collision Center" sign....

Look guys...

All KFMB has to do it install a 13ghz hop...or a fiber hop to the KFMB studios on Engineer Road.

It's less than a 1/2 mile between KFMB /XETV CW 6 studios.

They could also just shoot the signal to the ENG recv site on Mt.Soledad and patch into the KFMB transmitter tsl/stl's

Problem Solved!

Total cost less than $70,000...and you get the entire 3 story news building functional without doing anything.

The only thing would be staffing, does KFMB want to staff the CW operation out of Ronson Road??? Because it's easy peazy to do that if they wish.

Remember folks, there is no master control in the USA. All CW switching goes through Tijuana.

Ronson road is only a news production studio. The Bay Cities sales office is across the lot in the old building.

The only warm bodies needed to be in Kearny mesa are engineers and security guards and the people that will be stripping the place...or refurbishing the place for it's next "life".

Looking for that "Future Home Of Toyota Collision Center" sign....

Look guys...

All KFMB has to do it install a 13ghz hop...or a fiber hop to the KFMB studios on Engineer Road.

It's less than a 1/2 mile between KFMB /XETV CW 6 studios.

Problem Solved!

Total cost less than $70,000...and you get the entire 3 story news building functional without doing anything.

The only thing would be staffing, does KFMB want to staff the CW operation out of Ronson Road??? Because it's easy peazy to do that if they wish.

Too much $$$.

From the looks of it, KFMB seems to be investing only in what's necessary into this CW venture. Had they wanted to swallow up the XETV operation, they would have made that clear from the get go. It would have avoided so much uncertainty and this slow death that XETV is suffering.

And *hypothetically*, if KFMB wanted to fully staff the CW operation, ala XETV, would they even have the room at their building to do so?

Too much $$$.

From the looks of it, KFMB seems to be investing only in what's necessary into this CW venture. Had they wanted to swallow up the XETV operation, they would have made that clear from the get go. It would have avoided so much uncertainty and this slow death that XETV is suffering.

And *hypothetically*, if KFMB wanted to fully staff the CW operation, ala XETV, would they even have the room at their building to do so?

Exactly...

I'm mostly trying to re-cap for some of the newcomers of this thead. I'm getting a little punchy today so please excuse me cuz I know you already have a good grasp of what's up.

My point now it that if KFMB got placed in a major pinch over news "space" ...Ronson Rd could work as a back-up pretty easy.

But you know exactly where we have to bring it back to....

MONEY!

Yup, KFMB will bare bones it.

Archived