San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

Exactly...

I'm mostly trying to re-cap for some of the newcomers of this thead. I'm getting a little punchy today so please excuse me cuz I know you already have a good grasp of what's up.

My point now it that if KFMB got placed in a major pinch over news "space" ...Ronson Rd could work as a back-up pretty easy.

But you know exactly where we have to bring it back to....

MONEY!

Yup, KFMB will bare bones it.

No worries. But you're right, it's all about money. Surprised that they're putting in a few extra coins into this operation.

The sad thing about all of this, is that i've come to really enjoy XETV's 10pm news. Jason and Neda really work well together, and it's a shame that, that will come to an end soon.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No worries. But you're right, it's all about money. Surprised that they're putting in a few extra coins into this operation.

The sad thing about all of this, is that i've come to really enjoy XETV's 10pm news. Jason and Neda really work well together, and it's a shame that, that will come to an end soon.

They could be hired by KFMB to work on the CW side if they want to.

Remember, XETV's weekend news ends after tonight's 10:00pm news.

They could be hired by KFMB to work on the CW side if they want to.

Remember, XETV's weekend news ends after tonight's 10:00pm news.

Yes,

They could if they wanted to,

But most managers don't want to import another stations problems.

There were problems at XETV...that's why they failed.

There are no real "Stars" busting out of XETV.

I think at the most there will be some kind of token hire.

\

Yes,

They could if they wanted to,

But most managers don't want to "import" another stations problems.

There were problems at XETV...that's why they failed.

There are no real "Stars" busting out of XETV.

I think at the most there will be some kind of token hire.

The thing about XETV was that their problems seemed to come from upper management. Not to say that there weren't any down in the ranks, but from an outside perspective, you knew something was going on upstairs just by the sheer number of news directors the station went through during its tenure (FOX news operation startup to present). They've had some good talent- some washed up, but good nonetheless, yet they all moved on.

I don't know if you remember during that news director broad they had, I want to say in 2007ish? I remember some employees venting day in and day out about her, over on the old TVSpy forums. IIRC, she really lost the newsroom during the 2007 wildfires were she was "stuck" in Hawaii and couldn't come back to lead her newsroom during one of the most critical times in San Diego/journalism history. I think that it was the pivoting moment for the station-- after that they were never really the same. They would lose the FOX affiliation the next year, and the mass exodus of talent would follow in the subsequent years.

This last year or so, you could tell they really were trying to make something out what they had, but I think the wounds were just too great. The end of their CW affiliation was the fatal blow that many had seen coming for a long time.

Like I said earlier, at some point you have to look and see who was in charge during all this time, and the one constant over these last 10+ years has been the GM. He may be a nice guy and all, but you just can't let slide the fact that during his tenure, he lost 2 network affiliations, dozens of employees and eventually the shutdown of a tv station.

The thing about XETV was that their problems seemed to come from upper management. Not to say that there weren't any down in the ranks, but from an outside perspective, you knew something was going on upstairs just by the sheer number of news directors the station went through during its tenure (FOX news operation startup to present). They've had some good talent- some washed up, but good nonetheless, yet they all moved on.

I don't know if you remember during that news director broad they had, I want to say in 2007ish? I remember some employees venting day in and day out about her, over on the old TVSpy forums. IIRC, she really lost the newsroom during the 2007 wildfires were she was "stuck" in Hawaii and couldn't come back to lead her newsroom during one of the most critical times in San Diego/journalism history. I think that it was the pivoting moment for the station-- after that they were never really the same. They would lose the FOX affiliation the next year, and the mass exodus of talent would follow in the subsequent years.

This last year or so, you could tell they really were trying to make something out what they had, but I think the wounds were just too great. The end of their CW affiliation was the fatal blow that many had seen coming for a long time.

Like I said earlier, at some point you have to look and see who was in charge during all this time, and the one constant over these last 10+ years has been the GM. He may be a nice guy and all, but you just can't let slide the fact that during his tenure, he lost 2 network affiliations, dozens of employees and eventually the shutdown of a tv station.

Agreed...

I really think it went in the shitter after Al Pando (The first ND) left. Pando was a Televisa golden boy. He was good, and he knew his stuff. The other thing was of course the loss of FOX. Everyone in those first few years went on to better stuff...and those shows rocked.

It's sad.

I think it's a waste of time to put newscast on a CW station...they are all failing (news) with the exception of KTLA. I truly want the best for the refugees of XETV, however I also know there are thousands of Muffy's and Ken's just dying for that low paying MMJ job in sunny San Diego.

I already know how how the movie ends...I have seen it before.

I'm past the point of crying anymore...I just shake my head...and pray.

San Diego Living is a pay 4 play deal.... I bet Clint pussed-out.

Looks like Renee Kohn and Lynda Martin are gonna tuff it out and keep it alive till the end...

They hope.

Hang in there kids!

Go rent Titanic to see how it ends.

(...and the band wore blue shirts...and the music played on.)

Joe Jackson

San Diego Living is a pay 4 play deal.... I bet Clint pussed-out.

Looks like Renee Kohn and Lynda Martin are gonna tuff it out and keep it alive till the end...

They hope.

Hang in there kids!

Go rent Titanic to see how it ends.

(...and the band wore blue shirts...and the music played on.)

Joe Jackson

Did they announce his departure? Because Jim and Jason were off all week, last week. So maybe that's the case with Clint.

Where is KK going, back to AZ? I noticed they have her doing spring training hits in Peoria.

Bummer...she was a favorite of mine.

Well here is a nice pic of her I have been saving....[ATTACH=full]3741[/ATTACH]

Is the guy you Eat News?

(Only on TVNT)

Veteran KFMB Exec Morning Producer Jim Bunner will be EP for the new CW morning news. Bunner has been at KFMB for about 5 years. previous ND at KEYT reporter and producer at the world famous KMST-CBS-46 in the 1980's.

He has good solid news chops.

His brother Steve is at KGO as a producer/ writer , both grew up in Aptos, Ca (Santa Cruz, Co)...both brothers cut their news teeth at KMST during the Kimberley Hunt, Joe Wieder, Sharon Tay, George Penachiao, Carl Bell, Claudia Cowan and Gina Diamante days.

Bunner is a good solid choice seeing he is already running the morning show on KFMB....and he is experienced.

They are going to toss him a few extra bodies as you all can see by the job postings. However it's safe to assume most those jobs were filled before the posting ever hit the net.

(Only on TVNT)

Veteran KFMB Exec Morning Producer Jim Bunner will be EP for the new CW morning news. Bunner has been at KFMB for about 5 years. previous ND at KEYT reporter and producer at the world famous KMST-CBS-46 in the 1980's.

He has good solid news chops.

His brother Steve is at KGO as a producer/ writer , both grew up in Aptos, Ca (Santa Cruz, Co)...both brothers cut their news teeth at KMST during the Kimberley Hunt, Joe Wieder, Sharon Tay, George Penachiao, Carl Bell, Claudia Cowan and Gina Diamante days.

Bunner is a good solid choice seeing he is already running the morning show on KFMB....and he is experienced.

They are going to toss him a few extra bodies as you all can see by the job postings. However it's safe to assume most those jobs were filled before the posting ever hit the net.

Interesting. So in a way, it will be an extension of what KFMB is doing in the AM, with maybe a few different things added in? Do you know if it will be a 2 hour show? and will they use Dan/Nichelle/Heather for it?

Also, i've seen a few contradictory articles out there, but the GM said AM/4pm/10pm newscasts for the new CW. However, a few weeks later, the Times of San Diego (I believe) did a write up on the affiliation switch and quoted one of KFMB's managers (can't remember if it was the ND or not) and they only mentioned an AM/10pm newscast. Any info on that?

Interesting. So in a way, it will be an extension of what KFMB is doing in the AM, with maybe a few different things added in? Do you know if it will be a 2 hour show? and will they use Dan/Nichelle/Heather for it?

I think that's kinda the direction it's going. It's going to be busy in that place at the launch. The line-up WILL be adjusted a bunch over the next 6 months.

They know what has to be filled programming and talent wise, it's just putting things in proper working order because it better not look like shit the first week...that would be unacceptable by KFMB standards....and there ARE some standards left in the biz.

I think that's kinda the direction it's going. It's going to be busy in that place at the launch. The line-up WILL be adjusted a bunch over the next 6 months.

They know what has to be filled programming and talent wise, it's just putting things in proper working order because it better not look like shit the first week...that would be unacceptable by KFMB standards....and there ARE some standards left in the biz.

So you mean no Maury and Jerry Springer in the afternoons!?!? Oh no, we will no longer know who the father is! Such a travesty.

So you mean no Maury and Jerry Springer in the afternoons!?!? Oh no, we will no longer know who the father is! Such a travesty.

Oh heavens no...

I think the trash Tv will still be on in the afternoons. I also need my trash court, and trash talk bookend with The General Insurance commercials.

The idea is to tweak the news offerings...not place us all into withdrawals.

maybe they could put the "older" reporters on KFMB and the lil kids on CW.

Ashley Jacobs is seriously getting on my nerves. And Kang finally found a jacket.

Oh heavens no...

I think the trash Tv will still be on in the afternoons. I also need my trash court, and trash talk bookend with The General Insurance commercials.

The idea is to tweak the news offerings...not place us all into withdrawals.

maybe they could put the "older" reporters on KFMB and the lil kids on CW.

Ashley Jacobs is seriously getting on my nerves. And Kang finally found a jacket.

Agreed. She does fit perfectly for that features reporter role...

And there isn't that many older reporters left on 8. All newbies- not all bad, though. Except for Heather Hope. She's been here what, like a few years now? and she still hasn't improved. Total trainwreck.

I could see them giving Dominic Garcia a spot on the desk. They've been grooming him for an anchor role, for a while now.

I do wonder how KFMB's CW station will treat their morning newscast, I personally think they should certainly simulcast the 4:30-7AM newscast on the new station if they seriously plan to compete against KUSI and KSWB, especially if Dan/ Nichelle/Heather will be their primary on-air team for the 7-9AM CW newscast.

I also wonder if their 10PM newscast would look similar to NightBeat on KBCW in San Francisco in terms of tone, there's a similar arrangement up north in which the their fellow duopoly station (KPIX/CBS) produces their primetime newscast. I'm assuming they plan to utilize Kyle for sports and Matt for weather.

Other than that, I do hope they could continue 4PM and perhaps (but highly doubt) KFMB would also expand and do weekend morning news.

No way they go with one of those experimental newscasts. Didn't they try that in the 80s with "Your Day" or "This Day" or whatever the hell it was called? And look how well that went over... If i'm not mistaken, it really screwed the station up for a while.

No way they go with one of those experimental newscasts. Didn't they try that in the 80s with "Your Day" or "This Day" or whatever the hell it was called? And look how well that went over... If i'm not mistaken, it really screwed the station up for a while.

Ohhhh God!

It was "This Day" (1980's version)

It had mood lighting...use of dimmers for dramatic effect....Allison Ross...Michael Tuck...Lieghtner on Sports. The reporters sat in "pods".

The greatest abortion ever at KFMB.

All tapes and scripts were burned to protect the future citizens.

It was the brain child of Jim Hotlzman KFMB ND wonderboy.

Shortly after This Day was canned...Holltzman was shot.

Ohhhh God!

It had mood lighting...use of dimmers for dramatic effect....Allison Ross...Michael Tuck...Lieghtner on Sports. The reporters sat in "pods".

You learn from the mistakes... at least you hope so.

An experiment like that caused them to go in the crapper and gave a golden opportunity for their competitors to overtake them. I don't think KFMB wants to repeat history...

On a side note: I saw a snippet of Jeff Zevely's St. Patty's day package, and he was doing his weird things (as usual) from the secondary studio. Anyways, it looks like they cleaned it up a bit. Nothing new per se, but they had been using it for some Radio performances/storage/interview area and there was crap all over the place, but it seems like they cleaned up their mess. I also wasn't aware that they had a green screen in there. Thought they moved that into the main studio.

Ohhhh God!

How had I never heard of this?

They wouldn't do it on the main channel but why not experiment with your new channel that has no audience? You could let the new newscast grow organically rather than replacing one of your tried and true newscasts. If the new style of newscast fails you trash it and go back to a traditional method.

How had I never heard of this?

An aircheck of "This Day" would be the holy grail of local airchecks. It was performance art....It was groundbreaking...It's This Day.

That was the low point for them. KGTV was kicking ass all over the place with Sky 10 and half the San Diego Police Department reserves in the tank, and on staff at KGTV.

I don't think This Day lasted any longer than 6 weeks. It was the Clark Anthony Weather / Poetry forecast that killed it for good.

Be nice to get the entire run of San Diego at Large also....and the entire KGB Homegrown collection..

They wouldn't do it on the main channel but why not experiment with your new channel that has no audience? You could let the new newscast grow organically rather than replacing one of your tried and true newscasts. If the new style of newscast fails you trash it and go back to a traditional method.

The thing is that the audience in this market is older. They really don't go for something that's wayyyy out of the traditional route. Also, this new CW venture in reality it's not a "new" channel- it's an extension of KFMB's product. So anything that negatively affects this new CW venture can have consequences for KFMB. Had this been a separate venture from KFMB, then it would have been easier to try something different, but the new CW and channel 8 have been joined at the hip from the day the affiliation addition was announced.

The thing is that the audience in this market is older. They really don't go for something

And beside that...

If we don't like what's on the newscast, we can always go surfing (in a real ocean) skiing, or spelunking in an earthquake fault.

See we got a little competition for our "free" time out in the wild west.

I declare the new CW8 newscast shall display only the finest stock in breeding women, and the most dapper and handsome fancy lads.

Very well then.

And beside that...

I declare the new CW8 newscast shall display only the finest stock in breading women, and the most dapper and handsome fancy lads.

Very well then.

Breeding women, Eat News. I doubt we need breading women... too many carbs. LOL

Archived