San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

Oh for sure. But to be honest, the other stations do it to a certain extent. The only difference is that XETV had a need to do pay for play newscast or even interview because of their limited resources (and you can't forget the SDCCU crap they did a year or so back...).

Channel 8 has done the sponsored package/report on a newscast, but they were really careful to separate from the actual newscast by removing all graphics from the screen. Plus, you also have KUSI and the qualcomm stadium used car sale weekend thingy-majigy with Dave Stall in which he goes live during the commercial break. Oh, and you can't forget Inside San Diego as well. Remember how the set/furniture was furnished by a local company?...

So, I guess what i'm saying is that everyone in town has done it, but not as obvious as XETV.

You just reminded me of the person I would like to hear from the most about the whole XETV experience...

The guy who has been seen more time on XETV than anyone else ever...

Jerry (Jerome) Navarra, from Jeromes Furniture Wharehouse

He has always been considered a very close friend of the station, he has been appearing on XETV since the early 1970's. He has probably done thousands and thousand of commercials on XETV...

And...

Here is something you will only learn here on TVNT.....

Jerry once crashed through the XETV security gates at the San Diego offices way back when. That's a TVNT exclusive lol.

I bet Dunning tells the story better much better .

That's really who I hope they get on this Friday, because he has lot's of inside dirt.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You just reminded me of the person I would like to hear from the most about the whole XETV experience...

The guy who has been seen more time on XETV than anyone else ever...

Jerry (Jerome) Navarra, from Jeromes Furniture Wharehouse

He has always been considered a very close friend of the station, he has been appearing on XETV since the early 1970's. He has probably done thousands and thousand of commercials on XETV...

And...

Here is something you will only learn here on TVNT.....

Jerry once crashed through the XETV security gates at the San Diego offices way back when. That's a TVNT exclusive lol.

I bet Dunning tells the story better much better .

That's really who I hope they get on this Friday, because he has lot's of inside dirt.

For some reason, the guy comes across as a slimeball. He may be nice and all in person, but idk, there's something about him that seems "off".

and when he crashed through the gates, was it because he was drunk or was it an accident?

For some reason, the guy comes across as a slimeball. He may be nice and all in person, but idk, there's something about him that seems "off".

and when he crashed through the gates, was it because he was drunk or was it an accident?

The video disappered...the gory accident scene was quickly cleaned up...the bodies removed and buried...and nobody ever spoke another word.

Now we have to kill you.

I don't honestly know if he was drunk or not...I do know he was very sad and sorry. Jerry is a swell guy. He has 2 TV wife's in case you didn't notice.

How can that be slimy?(sp?)

Golly...you are sooooo judgemental!

Or douche bags? Car dealership ads drive me crazy and the owners or GMs feel the need to star in their ads. I'm talking about the crazy "Jack says yes" guy in Baltimore and Krystal Koons (although the ads with her are corny like Jan from Toyota) across the Mid Atlantic.

Or douche bags? Car dealership ads drive me crazy and the owners or GMs feel the need to star in their ads. I'm talking about the crazy "Jack says yes" guy in Baltimore and Krystal Koons (although the ads with her are corny like Jan from Toyota) across the Mid Atlantic.

You could start an entire thread on crazy regional pitch people....

You could probably do an entire TV season with that stuff....people would eat that up in a nostalgia kinda way.

You could start an entire thread on crazy regional pitch people....

You could probably do an entire TV season with that stuff....people would eat that up in a nostalgia kinda way.

Jeromes takes the cake for being the most annoying. And they're constantly advertising.

I think the creepiest and most annoying people in this market tend to not necessarily be business people, but the politicos. I can find you a whole list of creepos that constantly have a need to be on the news to sell some b.s., which in a way is more annoying than these car salesman.

We can start with:

Bob Filner

Something occurred to me.

You know how we said "but Gala TV is on XHBJ"? Televisa is slowly taking it away from its regional partners.

In Cancún, on March 8, they were approved to put Gala TV as a subchannel of one of their own transmitters instead of having it air on their own station. They also apparently have done so in Mérida, where the same group owned a Gala TV partner (both of which dropped all Gala TV branding at the end of last year); in Sinaloa; in Sonora (these two states are dominated by Televisa partner TVP); and in Nayarit.

It looks more and more like XHBJ losing Gala TV is part of a deliberate trend...

Well these commercials from every other station ought to speed up KFMB's promotion of their CW station...

NBC 7 was classy. 10News was so-so. FOX 5 is responsible for XETV's failure so their commercial seems very insensitive and distasteful to me.

Well these commercials from every other station ought to speed up KFMB's promotion of their CW station...

FOX 5 is responsible for XETV's failure so their commercial seems very insensitive and distasteful to me.

Sorry folks...this might not be pretty.

(save a few for mardek1995...he is also on his way here )

Saw this on a reddit thread:

The transmission facilities at XETV will be an extension of Televisa Spanish language programming only over the airwaves (on channel 6)

the CW will go to CBS's digital subchannel, 8.1 or 8.2. (cable)

I believe if you tune into channel 6 on cable after the 31st you will see FOX 5's morning show for a time.

I work at XETV, AMA.

I answered a question (someone asking if XETV was finally getting 5.1 — the answer is nope, not unless KTLA bites the dust or XETV reduces its power, both highly unlikely events) and asked another (what will XETV be carrying once Televisa Tijuana begins programming it).

Let's not forget WJKS (WCWJ), remember in 1996 when 'JKS lost the ABC affiliation to WBSG in Brunswick, GA and soon-to-be WJXX.

17JKS newscasts shut down on 12/29/96. Anyway, it's the end of an era tomorrow for XETV's morning and 10pm newscasts. Who's recording it?

Let's not forget WJKS (WCWJ), remember in 1996 when 'JKS lost the ABC affiliation to WBSG in Brunswick, GS and soon-to-be WJXX.

17JKS newscasts shut down on 12/29/96. Anyway, it's the end of an era tomorrow for XETV's morning and 10pm newscasts. Who's recording it?

I'm recording right now, as well as their 10 PM news tonight.

Please post on YouTube. Its historic to see how another great news operation shut its doors and what routes it'll take to showcase that.

Definitely. Their livestream will probably have the replay until this evening, but I'll post the edited version (take out the regular news stories) later.

And what was the very first spot run after the end of the CW6 / San Diego Living newscast????

It was a PAID spot for the KSWB FOX 5 News....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVR_p-lMbqE

Freaking classic!

BTW...

That loud sucking noise you are hearing is coming from KFMB.

I'm telling you, XETV isn't doing KFMB any favors, whatsoever. KSWB, KNSD and KGTV have advertised on CW6 for the last week or so, KFMB was the big one missing from there. I'm sure if Dunning and the folks at 6 could get a big banner with a middle finger and drag it down the street to 8, they would. But honestly, this is pretty ingenious on XETV's part. They have nothing to lose anyhow, so why not send what ever viewers you have to the competitors--except the one that forced you to shut down.

Oh, and isn't it ironic that XETV and KSWB are playing kissy-kissy despite what happened 9 years ago?...

Why hasn't KFMB aired a single spot on XETV announcing the switch?

KSWB sure the hell has.

Every other station has promos courting the CW6 refugees.

Amazing they let this happen.

Why would there be a contractual agreement NOT to run promos?

How does that benefit the network or the affiliate?

Why hasn't KFMB aired a single spot on XETV announcing the switch?

KSWB sure the hell has.

Every other station has promos courting the CW6 refugees.

Amazing they let this happen.

Why would there be a contractual agreement NOT to run promos?

How does that benefit the network or the affiliate?

Did KUSI finally shell out money to advertise?

I'm telling you, XETV isn't doing KFMB any favors, whatsoever. KSWB, KNSD and KGTV have advertised on CW6 for the last week or so, KFMB was the big one missing from there. I'm sure if Dunning and the folks at 6 could get a big banner with a middle finger and drag it down the street to 8, they would. But honestly, this is pretty ingenious on XETV's part. They have nothing to lose anyhow, so why not send what ever viewers you have to the competitors--except the one that forced you to shut down.

Oh, and isn't it ironic that XETV and KSWB are playing kissy-kissy despite what happened 9 years ago?...

Did you see Dunning declare that San Diego Living was a "Phenomenal Success" ? I lost it!

(funny stuff)

Got to hand it to them....they went down shilling till the bitter end....

Archived