San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me, it was always the Carpeteria music or SIDS Carpet Barn

It was also the San Diego County Ford Dealers...and about 20,000 other XETV commercials over the years....but just that last :30sec

So the ghost of XETV is living on at the website. You just know someone has those facebook and twitter logons...I'm waiting for Jenny Day or Renee Kohn to get drunk and start posting in the night.

The must reported on "new sign" at KFMB is MIA.....GONE.

The front lot is open at XETV, but there is a Skylift on the east side of the bldg.

The website keeps putting on....the WX is updating and the Radar is working. The servers are still serving archived video. http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local-news/

KFMB is still silent...

Could that actually be the overall strategy?

Hope nobody notices the switch?

Keep the San Diego CW branding...keep the web address...and hope to hell you get those 2 cable assignments?

A "soft" launch on June 1st just in case all the ducks are NOT in the row with cable channels???

Is that the plan???

Hummmmmmm

So the ghost of XETV is living on at the website. You just know someone has those facebook and twitter logons...I'm waiting for Jenny Day or Renee Kohn to get drunk and start posting in the night.

The front lot is open at XETV, but there is a Skylift on the east side of the bldg.

The website keeps putting on....the WX is updating and the Radar is working. The servers are still serving archived video. http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local-news/

KFMB is still silent...

Keep the San Diego CW branding...keep the web address...and hope to hell you get those 2 cable assignments?

A "soft" launch on June 1st just in case all the ducks are NOT in the row with cable channels???

Is that the plan???

Hummmmmmm

I actually think you're onto something and have thought the same myself. The goal with all of the SD switches, including Azteca América and Telemundo, seems to be "keep the networks on the same cable channel".

KFMB is still silent...

Is that the plan???

Hummmmmmm

I wonder if XETV is forcing the network to adhere by its contract, thus not allowing them to give KFMB the ok to promote the CW until they're out of the picture?

I mean, what other reason could it be? Quite a few people know of the switch, so it's not like KFMB can fool them into thinking that it's business as usual. Not to mention that they love- and need to promote their news product...

I don't want to speculate, but it feels like there's more than a few hands in the cookie jar... process of elimination: KFMB, XETV, CW network. Fill in the rest...

What is taking KFMB so long to announce the CW move to its .2 (or .3?) subchannel?? Are they having a secret meeting or something?

Seriously, this has the markings of an absolute disaster. KFMB looks clueless and ill-prepared for this subchannel, moreso after XETV announced their closedown months ahead of schedule.

At this rate I wouldn't be shocked if KFMB fails to acquire any of XETV's programming inventory, and they have to plug in filler from another source (is the CW Plus still in existence?)

What a joke.

Seriously, this has the markings of an absolute disaster. KFMB looks clueless and ill-prepared for this subchannel, moreso after XETV announced their closedown months ahead of schedule.

At this rate I wouldn't be shocked if KFMB fails to acquire any of XETV's programming inventory, and they have to plug in filler from another source (is the CW Plus still in existence?)

What a joke.

Not only that, but since the announcement was made, the GM of KFMB was quoted as saying they'd have an AM/4pm/10pm newscast. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and now the plan is for an AM/7pm/and a half hour 10pm newscast. So as of now, they've cut back on 1 hour of news on the new CW channel, programming that they could really use to fill in the schedule.

This half-baked plan is really going to F*ck them up--big time. They better hope that they can recover the costs associated with having the CW network. Otherwise, they're going to lose money, and that's going to bleed over into the channel 8 operations.

Not only that, but since the announcement was made, the GM of KFMB was quoted as saying they'd have an AM/4pm/10pm newscast. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and now the plan is for an AM/7pm/and a half hour 10pm newscast. So as of now, they've cut back on 1 hour of news on the new CW channel, programming that they could really use to fill in the schedule.

This half-baked plan is really going to F*ck them up--big time. They better hope that they can recover the costs associated with having the CW network. Otherwise, they're going to lose money, and that's going to bleed over into the channel 8 operations.

"Just secure the affiliation rights quickly and cheaply...get it done now...we will figure the rest out later...."

(not actual quote...and far less dramatic)

KFMB is still silent...

Is that the plan???

Hummmmmmm

The live stream is still "up" as well showing a static graphic.

It's not even the "We'll Be Right Back" graphic that a lot of stations using Livestream have.

I feel bad for Chuck Dunning, the sales executives (some of whom are still around, as there are still ads to sell) and maintenance staff who have to go into work every day to a virtual ghost town.

It's not even the "We'll Be Right Back" graphic that a lot of stations using Livestream have.

I feel bad for Chuck Dunning, the sales executives (some of whom are still around, as there are still ads to sell) and maintenance staff who have to go into work every day to a virtual ghost town.

How much of XETV's maintenance/technical staff are based in San Diego vs. the Tijuana transmission site?

How much of XETV's maintenance/technical staff are based in San Diego vs. the Tijuana transmission site?

It's an interesting question...

The people that built and maintained the San Diego operations were from the group that built the San Diego News Studio...

TV Magic

Now TVM may not really exist anymore because they went out of biz a while back...but it was those guys people saw in San Diego.

The XETV Transmitter engineers all were in TJ...the San Diego folks only talked to them at show time (news) when passing "master" operations to the SD news control room. Otherwise all maintenance was done locally by the (former) TVM guys since they built the place.

The original XETV chief engineer was at the transmitter for almost all 65 years of XETV ops...he died recently.

I can't find any stories on a Televisa engineer in Tijuana...

Try the local SBE websites.

(some shit just is not on google)

"Life is not solved by simple google searches...sometimes you have to work"

The livestream was left on after the final 10:00 news. For a few hours you could see the time/temp over the CW6 News logo and colour bars. If this is still live, it means they haven't dismantled the control room (or at least routing system) yet.

It's too bad they didn't let their livestream replay the final newscast.

Try the local SBE websites.

Former XETV anchor/reporter Kerri Lane is on KFMB's 11 AM broadcast now, reporting in the field. Her first day was on April 6th.

Did Ashley ( Little Teapot) Jacobs get bumped or could this just be a VR or day hire/ Per diem deal?

VR=Vacation Relief

Did Ashley ( Little Teapot) Jacobs get bumped or could this just be a VR or day hire/ Per diem deal?

VR=Vacation Relief

Shannon Handy went on maternity leave a few weeks ago, so they're short a reporter. Plus, Alicia Summers is only part-time I believe.

The one that's going to have a hard time finding something is Jason Austell. He never really was a G.A. reporter in the first place. Yeah he did traffic/breaking news reporting from chopper 8 then to newschopper 7/39 before ultimately landing at the anchor desk. But, seeing that every station is practically set anchor-wise, and there's only one chopper in town, what does that leave him with?...Pretty limited options.

Shannon Handy went on maternity leave a few weeks ago, so they're short a reporter. Plus, Alicia Summers is only part-time I believe.

The one that's going to have a hard time finding something is Jason Austell. He never really was a G.A. reporter in the first place. Yeah he did traffic/breaking news reporting from chopper 8 then to newschopper 7/39 before ultimately landing at the anchor desk. But, seeing that every station is practically set anchor-wise, and there's only one chopper in town, what does that leave him with?...Pretty limited options.

That Air reporter slot is open at Welk /ACA...but does Jason want to fly again without Flyer?

https://www.mediabistro.com/jobs/description/355802/aerial-eng-photographer-reporter/?TrackID=35&utm_source=tvspy&utm_medium=sidebar&utm_campaign=pp-tv-jobs#sc=widget&me=referral&cm=35

Wow,

I just saw the Keri Lane teacher layoff live shot and I have to say she looks and sounds 1000% better. But I swear if I see one more schools package with blurred video i'm gonna scream.

When did blurring school kid video become the norm? They don't blur it when talking about good things....but mention free lunches...poor test scores...or school lockdowns and the blur bar comes out.

Mention Teachers pay, better school lunches...better test scores...and the blur bar is gone.

Most white kid stories don't get blurred...but mention minorities......

Blur

Blur

Blur

sluuuuurrrrrp!

Archived