San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

2nd rule...

Locals (Natives) would NEVER be caught dead calling California "Cali"...only people from the east coast and wannabe "players and rappers" call it Cali.

You are better then that Charles.

You are absolutely right. I am going to pass this off on me listening to my brother (who has spent less time overall living in this state than I have) over the natives. I am very familiar with the SF Mission burrito and the LA street taco. I'm also very familiar with the "Cali" cardinal sin (as well as "Frisco" etc. etc.), but less so San Diego's finest cuisine, so when I kept hearing him rave about this so called "Cali burrito," I presumed that must have been the only exception to the rule. I guess I should have questioned that one more seeing as he did spend 12 years in Mass. before coming out here. If you're really concerned enough, know that I couldn't in good conscience say "Cali burrito" and potentially make an embarrassment of myself, so I still did ask for the "California burrito" at Nico's during the moment of truth. That was certainly a close one though...

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are absolutely right. I am going to pass this off on me listening to my brother (who has spent less time overall living in this state than I have) over the natives. I am very familiar with the SF Mission burrito and the LA street taco. I'm also very familiar with the "Cali" cardinal sin (as well as "Frisco" etc. etc.), but less so San Diego's finest cuisine, so when I kept hearing him rave about this so called "Cali burrito," I presumed that must have been the only exception to the rule. I guess I should have questioned that one more seeing as he did spend 12 years in Mass. before coming out here. If you're really concerned enough, know that I couldn't in good conscience say "Cali burrito" and potentially make an embarrassment of myself, so I still did ask for the "California burrito" at Nico's during the moment of truth. That was certainly a close one though...

You have been approved for an upgraded wristband to revisit us at anytime.

Oh,oh, oh....i forgot...

Never hold your handgun sideways.

You have been approved for an upgraded wristband to revisit us at anytime.

Oh,oh, oh....i forgot...

Never hold your handgun sideways.

And you are welcome on my tour of the best nameless taco stands on Virgil anytime. Nate Silver ruined my favorite burrito place in SF, just as Nate Silver ruins everything.

And you are welcome on my tour of the best nameless taco stands on Virgil anytime. Nate Silver ruined my favorite burrito place in SF, just as Nate Silver ruins everything.

Nate Silver needs to keep quiet about some things..

He ruins everything.

I can't wait to go back home in a few weeks! I miss the carrots at the salsa bar at sombreros! The closest to good burritos is El farolito here in SF. But I still need to explore since they don't know what Carne Asada Fries is up here.

I can't wait to go back home in a few weeks! I miss the carrots at the salsa bar at sombreros! The closest to good burritos is El farolito here in SF. But I still need to explore since they don't know what Carne Asada Fries is up here.

Whaaat?!?! Blasphemy.

They're probably called Hipster fries, or some crazy thing like that.

Whaaat?!?! Blasphemy.

They're probably called Hipster fries, or some crazy thing like that.

They don't know what it is, they only serve Carne Asada Nachos up here. You have to cross the bridge to Fairfield or Vallejo and Fremont. To get Carne Asada Fries. the closest one is called Araujos in San Bruno but it's meh.

They don't know what it is, they only serve Carne Asada Nachos up here. You have to cross the bridge to Fairfield or Vallejo and Fremont. To get Carne Asada Fries. the closest one is called Araujos in San Bruno but it's meh.

Some dummy can literally rake in the cash if they were to swap out the nachos for fries. But we all know that ain't gonna happen.

So I'm still wondering what will XETV do after they become Spanish station...

Your guess is as good as mine.

I personally suspect they will either keep the Canal 5 sub or go to C5 + Gala TV which is a setup for which Televisa has received approval on a number of stations. They have had to delay the implementation on the 7 transmitters cleared for it though, because the equipment needed to mux them has not yet come in. That would not be a problem here, though they might have to drop to 1 HD and 1 SD in order to meet well-meaning but misguided minimum bitrates.

La Taqueria on 25th and Mission was always my favorite, though word eventually got out to the world of tech hipsterdom, and then when Nate Silver declared it the best burrito in America, it was ruined. (Ah, perhaps a foreshadowing of his 2016 coverage and reality in itself, but I digress.) The lines ballooned to two hour long wait times, and they now have a monitor on the wall showing Instagram photos taken from their special hashtag. I've heard the lines have finally died down the point that you can get in there reasonably...if you don't mind going at like 3pm on a Tuesday. Before all of that craziness, it was always a solid place to go to, but I don't know if it's really worthy of the special landmark status that it has over all other taquerias.

There's also a place in Concord that I really like, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a name, and I can only remember where it is once I just start driving down Monument Blvd and visually find it in the middle of the sea of strip malls.

What are the chances XETV won't lose their channel 6 position on cable/satellite after going Spanish and the new CW San Diego will have to get a new channel assignment?

For Cox and Spectrum, it has already been announced that The CW San Diego will slot into channel 6. Other systems I expect will fall in line, especially if the retrans consent agreements were made with Bay City Television, which will no longer exist.

On Mexican cable systems, XETV will remain in its current position, as the determinant of cable channel positions in Mexico is the virtual channel number of the station (by IFT rule). Izzi currently carries the C5 sub on 5 and the CW feed on 98 (though it should really have been placed on 6). (They likewise put XHDTV's Azteca América sub on 49 and My on 97. The 90s range is where the other US stations are.)

The same, by the way, applies for XHAS. The new Telemundo 20 will not inherit the 33 position of XHAS on Mexican cable systems (that will go to Azteca América), and it cannot be placed on channel 20. The reason for the latter is a little convoluted, so follow me...

Mexican law requires that all cable operators include in their systems a package of (currently) 9 channels from "federal public institutions". These are public channels, like Canal Once, Canal 22, Canal del Congreso, and importantly for us, TV UNAM.

The UNAM operates a channel 20 in Mexico City that, while experimental at 500 watts, gave its channel number to the assigned national channel number for TV UNAM. It's on all SPR transmitters as 20.1, and it's on all cable systems as channel 20, 120, etc.

The other reason it couldn't be on 20 is that non-broadcast channels cannot be placed among the broadcast channels. If you look at the Izzi guide, you'll see this in action. Local cable channels *start* at 71 above the Mexican broadcast stations.

For Cox and Spectrum, it has already been announced that The CW San Diego will slot into channel 6. Other systems I expect will fall in line, especially if the retrans consent agreements were made with Bay City Television, which will no longer exist.

On Mexican cable systems, XETV will remain in its current position, as the determinant of cable channel positions in Mexico is the virtual channel number of the station (by IFT rule). Izzi currently carries the C5 sub on 5 and the CW feed on 98 (though it should really have been placed on 6). (They likewise put XHDTV's Azteca América sub on 49 and My on 97. The 90s range is where the other US stations are.)

The same, by the way, applies for XHAS. The new Telemundo 20 will not inherit the 33 position of XHAS on Mexican cable systems (that will go to Azteca América), and it cannot be placed on channel 20. The reason for the latter is a little convoluted, so follow me...

Mexican law requires that all cable operators include in their systems a package of (currently) 9 channels from "federal public institutions". These are public channels, like Canal Once, Canal 22, Canal del Congreso, and importantly for us, TV UNAM.

The UNAM operates a channel 20 in Mexico City that, while experimental at 500 watts, gave its channel number to the assigned national channel number for TV UNAM. It's on all SPR transmitters as 20.1, and it's on all cable systems as channel 20, 120, etc.

The other reason it couldn't be on 20 is that non-broadcast channels cannot be placed among the broadcast channels. If you look at the Izzi guide, you'll see this in action. Local cable channels *start* at 71 above the Mexican broadcast stations.

But isn't Telemundo 20 a subchannel? And aren't subchannels qualified as broadcast stations?

But isn't Telemundo 20 a subchannel? And aren't subchannels qualified as broadcast stations?

Yes...if you're a Mexican station.

Unlike with Mexican stations, where all subs must be carried (though those with fewer viewers don't have to be placed with the rest), there's nothing that requires Mexican cable companies to carry US stations. But many do. Sometimes, they carry stations that would earn a Syndex head-scratcher if the system opposite the border had them.

For instance, Megacable is the incumbent cable provider to Nogales, Sonora. KTVK and KUTP are on that system. Mediacom in Nogales, Arizona, would not be able to carry those Phoenix-market stations.

Sometimes, you will find the Big Four on cable systems nowhere near the border, where there are American expats (see: San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, where the cable system has the San Antonio locals)

It's like how XETV doesn't *have* to be carried by US cable systems in San Diego, though they all have because XETV has had programming in English. That is very likely to change come May 31. Either it gets kicked up to the stratosphere, or it gets dropped.

http://www.sandiegohdtv.org/community/threads/bay-city-tv-shutting-down.1662/#post-7051

Someone on sandiegohdtv.org reported that Canal 5 will air on virtual 6.1. No word on what 6.2 will carry, but perhaps it will carry Gala TV as speculated.

Aha! Looks like they're apparently running ads on the C5 sub, too, which is probably an IFT requirement.

The big question now is whether there will still be a 6.2 and if it will carry Gala TV. Again, those pesky minimum bitrates come into play. The only way to go around them would be to enter the Land of MPEG-4, which even the SPR departed.

At the 1:25 minute mark, we get a casual channel number confirmation from Matt Baylow as he refers to the new venture as "CW6 San Diego".. http://www.cbs8.com/story/35466930/new-guy-at-news-8-remembers-matt-baylow-visiting-4th-grade-class

..still makes me wonder why don't they officially pick up (or buy) the CW6 San Diego brand from XETV?

So if they plan on going with some variant of CW6 San Diego, why the hell are they de-emphasizing CBS 8 in favor of News 8? They could have stuck with CW 6 SD news.... makesme want to rip my hair out. Such a convoluted mess.

I watched the 10a-11a hour of Buenos Dias on XEWT this morning...

Make no mistake this is the direction XETV was heading with the news products

It's a Pay4Play "Lifestyle show" during that last hour of "Buenos Dias". This morning the show originated from Nissan Insurgentes in Tijuana,MX. It's a car dealership and the "guest" were cars, finance guys, snakes, and I swear I saw some dude in a panda suit also.

One of the guest was some singer. he sang to the cars...about the cars...and with the cars. They even turned on the flashers on the cars for disco effect.

We got Notivisa reporters selling cars between stories.

In the last days of the CW6 news we saw this starting to happen on XETV. CW6 News spent an entire weekend at the Used car Tent Sale...and got flack for it nationally via ftvlive.com .

Maybe it's for the better it was killed....because lordy this last hour of Buenos Dias is fatal.

So if they plan on going with some variant of CW6 San Diego, why the hell are they de-emphasizing CBS 8 in favor of News 8? They could have stuck with CW 6 SD news.... makesme want to rip my hair out. Such a convoluted mess.

I blame the new KFMB GM 100% for where they are right now at this moment.

Now let's see what they pull out of their asses between now....and the 31st.

I believe there is STILL a problem securing all the "6's" they "desire" in all the right places....

More money please....

If this new GM at KFMB is so "down with the homies" then he better get his parents to fill a few more suitcases with Benji's...and put those puppies on the next Volaris to the Federal Dist.

This thang aint over yet.

If this new GM at KFMB is so "down with the homies" then he better get his parents to fill a few more suitcases with Benji's...and put those puppies on the next Volaris to the Federal Dist.

Good, send them to a political unit that no longer exists. ;) (No, really, the formal name of Mexico City is now Mexico City after changes that make it as close to a state as it can be without actually being a state.)

The only IFT news of any interest at May 11's meeting (which took them a week to put the agenda up online) was that a radio station was awarded in San Diego...Oaxaca. I figured out that the reference was Barrio San Diego in Tlaxiaco. It basically turns this station into an AM-FM combo. As if that weren't enough, the IFT has been on a templated callsign kick for new public radio stations, so it got the callsign XHPBSD-FM. Try saying that five times fast. There was another one on Wednesday, so maybe the changes were up before IFT's commissioners then.

Archived