San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

That makes a bit of sense but is unusual. I've heard of program rights being onsold before, but not network affiliations.

Remember when CBS pulled the affiliation from WISH and moved it to WTTV (which carried the CW)? Well WISH was going to increase their news output. At the last minute a deal was made for WTTV to sell the CW affiliation to WISH.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remember when CBS pulled the affiliation from WISH and moved it to WTTV (which carried the CW)? Well WISH was going to increase their news output. At the last minute a deal was made for WTTV to sell the CW affiliation to WISH.

Aha, there's a recent example. These transactions probably require network approval as well.

Not knowing officially where The CW will be STILL as well as newscasts and KFMB not talking about it yet make this the worst affiliation switch ever.

The KNSD-XHAS affiliation switch for Telemundo is already much better.

Local listings? What is this, 1992? Do they still think people read the Sunday newspaper and pull out the TV section?

They didn't have at least a website, Facebook or Twitter to put on the graphic? A simple Google search tells me they are not prepared for this change. I'm also speculating that they weren't able to obtain the channel 6 dial from XETV?

Schedule of their newscast on The CW San Diego (see picture). They have some promos running of News 8 anshors talking about being on CW San Diego but I can't see how they're getting Carlo and Barbara on the CW. Must just be for advertisement.

IMG_0253.thumb.JPG.25fbd10e965f0f513dc0261435805039.JPG

Schedule of their newscast on The CW San Diego (see picture). They have some promos running of News 8 anshors talking about being on CW San Diego but I can't see how they're getting Carlo and Barbara on the CW. Must just be for advertisement.

I wonder if Carlo and Barbara-Lee will anchor the 7pm newscast and Eric the 10pm since his bio only mentions the 10pm newscast.

I wonder if Carlo and Barbara-Lee will anchor the 7pm newscast and Eric the 10pm since his bio only mentions the 10pm newscast.

That would be the most cost-effective way, especially if both newscasts are going to be half-hour long.

That would be the most cost-effective way, especially if both newscasts are going to be half-hour long.

If this does end up being the case, then it's cost-effectively stupid. They're already paying Eric to anchor, so why not have him do the 7pm?

I'm no expert, but couldn't they have a duplicate set of graphics/branding that they could switch to for each CBS and CW newscast?

Then any stories that are shared across stations would have to have the graphics reformatted every time. I can see how that'd quickly become very tedious.

Then any stories that are shared across stations would have to have the graphics reformatted every time. I can see how that'd quickly become very tedious.

That *should* be metadata in a production system that can then be placed into different templates. It can be done.

Plenty of stations do this with separate looks. The bigger issue in my opinion is I could see how tedious it would be to try and re-edit the backdrops behind still photos and such in VOs. Perhaps to some surprise on here, those soothing and endlessly-looping backdrops are usually edited together with the video and not driven by any graphics engine unless if it's a fullscreen or something.

Plenty of stations do this with separate looks. The bigger issue in my opinion is I could see how tedious it would be to try and re-edit the backdrops behind still photos and such in VOs. Perhaps to some surprise on here, those soothing and endlessly-looping backdrops are usually edited together with the video and not driven by any graphics engine unless if it's a fullscreen or something.

But if they share the same graphics package minus the bug, or anything that has a network logo then that shouldn't be an issue. In fact, KFMB's backgrounds don't even display a CBS eye, so in reality all they had to do was leave the CBS version alone, and swap out the eye for CW logos on the duplicate. Maybe it's a lot harder than I'm making it out to be.

With KPIX and KBCW, the only change is the Lower thirds and the background on the 5/7 Day Forecasts.

Cough *getthehintKFMB* Cough.

Maybe i'm being a bit too harsh. Maybe they were planning on getting a new graphics package, but then the acceleration of the the affiliation switch and the the lack of a firm channel position is what screwed them up.

But if they share the same graphics package minus the bug, or anything that has a network logo then that shouldn't be an issue. In fact, KFMB's backgrounds don't even display a CBS eye, so in reality all they had to do was leave the CBS version alone, and swap out the eye for CW logos on the duplicate. Maybe it's a lot harder than I'm making it out to be.

Oh sure. I was speaking more generally about the cases in which a newsroom duopoly deliberately chooses to maintain two distinctly different brands for both stations (WTTV/WXIN, KWGN/KDVR, WBZ and WSBK circa ten years ago, etc.)

I've only been half paying attention to this KFMB stuff, and I'm not too familiar with the San Diego market, though I did have a Cali burrito in OB today. Anyway! My read from afar is that KFMB doesn't know what they're doing, and these de-CBS-ifying branding changes seem pointless and counterintuitive. Carrying CBS branding over into a CW sister channel isn't that big of a deal. If they had any sort of big corporate owner (CBS, Tegna, whoever), they would have started promoting the CW subchannel to death a long time ago, they would simply be calling it "CBS News 8 on the CW" with very minor (if any) brand or design changes, and they would have hired maybe one or two producers for a more modest CW news schedule instead of the relatively large number of new positions. A big owner would have added these secondary newscasts without adding a large number of new staff or resources or putting any effort into trying to build the secondary brand to rival the main one.

Not that I'm going to criticize a news outlet for hiring for new positions for a change, but my sense is that they're thinking way too hard about trying to carry over whatever is left of XETV's news product and programming schedule.

I've only been half paying attention to this KFMB stuff, and I'm not too familiar with the San Diego market, though I did have a Cali burrito in OB today. Anyway! My read from afar is that KFMB doesn't know what they're doing.....

I'm beyond trying to explain why KFMB is approaching the CW thing in this oddball way...

So let's get to the real serious stuff.

There is a universal rule in OB...

Always get the dope... BEFORE you give them the money.

2nd rule...

Locals (Natives) would NEVER be caught dead calling California "Cali"...only people from the east coast and wannabe "players and rappers" call it Cali.

You are better then that Charles.

Next...

"Robertos" was the original...(fast mexican food)..

"Alberto" was a cousin...everyone else called "Berto" is NOT related.

And you can only find the original real California Burrito at Santana's Mexican Food...which was invented by Arturo Castaneda and his brothers...who sued...and got divorced and spun-off(MXN Mexican food) from the wives...who also sued...

And now your yummy California Burrito ownership is gonna be fought out in court AGAIN!

BTW...

"Roberto" Robledo( king of mexican fast food) died banging a Vegas hooker...

What a way to die!

Don't forget to visit "Roberto's #15" on Voltaire st.

The rolled tacos are best at 2:45am

I'm beyond trying to explain why KFMB is approaching the CW thing in this oddball way...

So let's get to the real serious stuff.

There is a universal rule in OB...

Always get the dope... BEFORE you give them the money.

2nd rule...

Locals (Natives) would NEVER be caught dead calling California "Cali"...only people from the east coast and wannabe "players and rappers" call it Cali.

You are better then that Charles.

Next...

"Robertos" was the original...(fast mexican food)..

"Alberto" was a cousin...everyone else called "Berto" is NOT related.

And you can only find the original real California Burrito at Santana's Mexican Food...which was invented by Arturo Castaneda and his brothers...who sued...and got divorced and spun-off(MXN Mexican food) from the wives...who also sued...

And now your yummy California Burrito ownership is gonna be fought out in court AGAIN!

BTW...

"Roberto" Robledo( king of mexican fast food) died banging a Vegas hooker...

What a way to die!

Don't forget to visit "Roberto's #15" on Voltaire st.

The rolled tacos are best at 2:45am

You know KFMB really f*cked this up when we're in here talking about Mexican food instead of an affiliation change.

Anywho, El Indio Mexican restaurant is a good place to try. I personally like their chimichangas, and they use real guacamole instead of this fake shit that the fast food mex places like to use-- basically it's sour cream blended with very little avocado. This place is by the airport on India Street.

Then there's Lucha Libre Taco shop, right around the corner from El Indio. Good sized burritos. Again, real guacamole used here.

Anyways, hope you enjoy your visit here in San Diego, Charles!

You know KFMB really f*cked this up when we're in here talking about Mexican food instead of an affiliation change.

Anywho, El Indio Mexican restaurant is a good place to try. I personally like their chimichangas, and they use real guacamole instead of this fake shit that the fast food mex places like to use-- basically it's sour cream blended with very little avocado. This place is by the airport on India Street.

Then there's Lucha Libre Taco shop, right around the corner from El Indio. Good sized burritos. Again, real guacamole used here.

Anyways, hope you enjoy your visit here in San Diego, Charles!

Yep...

Totally with you on "El Indio"...but the Luche Libre uses too much Spandex for my taste.

To be fair, I'm waiting on the IFT to hold its Ordinary Session this coming Wednesday. Perhaps we might get some answers on XETV's future direction.

That said, getting documents from the IFT can be a waiting game that takes months (still waiting on some new station information from December!). Luckily, multiprogramming authorizations seem to come up faster than most other documents.

Yep...

Totally with you on "El Indio"...but the Luche Libre uses too much Spandex for my taste.

Don't them ocean swimmers you eat wear spandex/lycra?

Archived