San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

Wow...

No switchie unless the IFT sez so?

Do they open it up for public comment of any type?

How often do these things get denied?

What do you think will happen?

Denials are rare. The IFT is usually chill unless you...

-Are Televisa trying to have half of all the program streams in a market (since they're preponderant and all)

-Want to run an SD channel with the same programming as your HD (XHAS, looking at you)

Some things come up to the IFT Pleno that honestly shouldn't always need to make their way that high up, like every new broadcast television and radio station, multiprogramming authorizations and changes, station sales (and involuntary transfers), and certain technical changes. They also tackle telecommunications items (wireless services, positive train control, spectrum acquisitions, new concessions, and especially those boring telephone interconnection rate disputes) that put me to sleep. Seriously, my eyes kinda glaze over reading the agenda when those items come up.

On the other hand, I can tell you something about every newly authorized broadcast radio and TV station approved in the last year (some of which have concessionaire names that are in native languages, so I can't tell you what the heck Ñucuaha means), so there's that.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah...I'm just babbling..

I seem to have forgotten about that weekend gig that's even worse when you have kids...so it's probably a better move.

And she is very capable of doing a fine job.

But her kids are still gonna be mortified.

Marcella has always been a good anchor, but I don't think she'd be a good fit for the CW newscast. She's a pretty plain anchor, nothing really that makes her stand out from the others. It's not looks, but rather her personality- she's pretty even keeled that it gets boring watching her. She's much better on the field, though- night and day comparison.

I'd be surprised if they aren't considering Alicia Summers for an anchor spot.

Edit: I should point out that Eric's bio only lists the 10 pm newscast. No mention of the 7 pm newscast that the union tribune wrote about. So for all we know, Eric might solo anchor.

And the weekend anchor position: most know about KFMB's history with their weekend anchors. Some stay for a long time, then they get bounced. Basically very little stability aside from the weather and sports guys.

Denials are rare. The IFT is usually chill unless you...

-Are Televisa trying to have half of all the program streams in a market (since they're preponderant and all)

-Want to run an SD channel with the same programming as your HD (XHAS, looking at you)

so I can't tell you what the heck Ñucuaha means), so there's that.

I'd be surprised if they aren't considering Alicia Summers for an anchor spot.

With talk like that you are gonna start WW3 inside KFMB....

Guess how many people at KFMB "deserve " CW anchor slot?

They will need to hire from outside to preserve the newsroom hormonal harmony.

With talk like that you are gonna start WW3 inside KFMB....

Guess how many people at KFMB "deserve " CW anchor slot?

They will need to hire from outside to preserve the newsroom hormonal harmony.

In reality, I wouldn't give an anchor job to any of the reporters on staff except maybe Garcia or Summers. Hell, I honestly don't know why they gave Steve Price the weekend gig. Seems like a nice guy and is a great reporter, but his anchoring abilities are sub-par.

Interesting that Dominic Garcia is coming back to KCNC, but not surprising. He and his wife are both from Colorado, and he only left KCNC when his wife was accepted at a residency program at (I think) UCSD. Makes sense that now that she's finished, they would want to come back.

I wish I knew the whole Eric Kahnert story though. He was hired away from Minneapolis to be the big time replacement for Mike Landess at KMGH, then he leaves right after citing "family issues" and is seemingly out of work for almost two years.

They're testing out these graphics tweaks , not sure if they're going to use them for both the CBS and upcoming CW newscasts. Basically, any graphic that has the CBS eye is scrubbed in favor of NEWS 8. I really think they could've done a better job with these tweaks. Absolutely no attention to detail.

IMG_3862_zpsdq1ltqh5.jpg

I've always wished they would get rid of that awful huge blue cartoon-like wave background they have behind the 8. Their lower 3rds for teases is so much better looking.

I agree. Those L3's look more polished than the garbage they use during the newscasts. The L3's look like legos, all mismatched and cluttered.

The NEWS part looks like it's just floating there, they could have at the very least placed it on top/bottom of the 8 or lowered it a bit.

Is that mandate approved? Lol

It looks very weird without the CBS eye.

I agree. Those L3's look more polished than the garbage they use during the newscasts. The L3's look like legos, all mismatched and cluttered.

The NEWS part looks like it's just floating there, they could have at the very least placed it on top/bottom of the 8 or lowered it a bit.

It looks very weird without the CBS eye.

It's like they are KTVU south with the logo. Avoiding the "network logo" hah

It's like they are KTVU south with the logo. Avoiding the "network logo" hah

Honestly, they should just keep the "8CBS" logo and rotate between it and the "San Diego CW" logo during the 7-9AM and 10PM newscasts. Or better yet, they should've DONE NOTHING!

The CBS logo is still visible in the "wave" part behind the 8. I don't think people or the CW would mind that there's a CBS logo appearing on the newscast. They could use it to build up brand equity of their new news product. Plus would they completely scrub all references to CBS News in their product? They'd practically have to avoid all newspath packages or request custom tags.

Not anymore. They changed the CBS eye In the background to an animated circle (this was yesterday but who knows what they are doing today)

I saw that too and the circle is animated faster like a flashing beacon

Not anymore. They changed the CBS eye In the background to an animated circle (this was yesterday but who knows what they are doing today)

They got rid of the CBS eye in the LIVE tag, the 8 bug, and the story pic box on the left hand side, as well as the middle space where the anchors name pops up. Also, in the opens, CBS NEWS would pop up very briefly- you could barely see it, well they got rid of the CBS part.

I'm no expert, but couldn't they have a duplicate set of graphics/branding that they could switch to for each CBS and CW newscast?

They got rid of the CBS eye in the LIVE tag, the 8 bug, and the story pic box on the left hand side, as well as the middle space where the anchors name pops up. Also, in the opens, CBS NEWS would pop up very briefly- you could barely see it, well they got rid of the CBS part.

I'm no expert, but couldn't they have a duplicate set of graphics/branding that they could switch to for each CBS and CW newscast?

Funny cause they cannot seem to get rid of the MeTV branding on the website.

Funny cause they cannot seem to get rid of the MeTV branding on the website.

Too complicated. They'll wait until they get a new website to scrub the METV reference.

Oh BTW, I found out on COX's tv forums that *apparently* KFMB sold the rights to their MeTV affiliation to KGTV. I wasn't aware you could do that, but COX's forum moderators got ahold of someone from KFMB to explain the MeTV mess, and I guess that's what they told them.

[insert The More You Know pic here]

Too complicated. They'll wait until they get a new website to scrub the METV reference.

Oh BTW, I found out on COX's tv forums that *apparently* KFMB sold the rights to their MeTV affiliation to KGTV. I wasn't aware you could do that, but COX's forum moderators got ahold of someone from KFMB to explain the MeTV mess, and I guess that's what they told them.

Now if they could just explain the CW mess.........

(flat-line gif here)

That makes a bit of sense but is unusual. I've heard of program rights being onsold before, but not network affiliations.

That makes a bit of sense but is unusual. I've heard of program rights being onsold before, but not network affiliations.

Yeah...

And is that a financed deal? A cash deal? barter?

...And in San Diego they call this "Thursday"...

More affiliation fun every hour....

Yup, especially when it was mentioned several times that KFMB was keeping MeTV. KGTV must have been desperate for some content with the loss of Azt. Ame.

Yeah...

And is that a financed deal? A cash deal? barter?

...And in San Diego they call this "Thursday"...

More affiliation fun every hour....

I heard KGTV is giving them EXCLUSIVE use of the 10 News Breaking News Tracker for the next 6 months, three gift cards to KGTV's news director's favorite hair salon and a walmart sheet cake saying: "Thanks for Jim Patton, you can keep Lynda Martin".

*Virginia Cha NOT INCLUDED*

Pretty good deal IMO.

Yup, especially when it was mentioned several times that KFMB was keeping MeTV. KGTV must have been desperate for some content with the loss of Azt. Ame.

I heard KGTV is giving them EXCLUSIVE use of the 10 News Breaking News Tracker for the next 6 months, three gift cards to KGTV's news director's favorite hair salon and a walmart sheet cake saying: "Thanks for Jim Patton, you can keep Lynda Martin".

*Virginia Cha NOT INCLUDED*

Pretty good deal IMO.

I saw Grecie Agular did 2" track only" packages this week with NO stand-up's...who did she piss-off?

I got a strange vibe off that Patton live shot on KGTV...why no mic flag on KGTV?? (major party foul).

I saw Grecie Agular did 2" track only" packages this week with NO stand-up's...who did she piss-off?

I got a strange vibe off that Patton live shot on KGTV...why no mic flag on KGTV?? (major party foul).

B8Ac0DzCUAA9qHt.thumb.jpg.e3324c96e52b33b56697ee5cc8415762.jpg

I was trying to find Jim's story, but they never put it up on the website.

Archived