San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

one could almost say that Midwest bought XETV, moved it across the border and moved it to a subchannel of KFMB, creating a duopoly in a really slick way.

Oh Holy Dawsons Creek...

You are right!

Those bastards got XETV naturalized in the USA and nobody said anything.

No wonder they didn't promote it...they don't want any attention to the deal.

"Keep moving along...nothing to see here...."

DEPORT!

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's DirecTV holding out for? Are they seriously going to carry XETV Canal 5 come 5/31? Now that would be uncharted territory. (Either that or they force all subs to be next to their parent stations.)

Would be ironic if "CW 6" ends up on channel 7 on DirecTV.

That being contingent on XETV not remaining a CW affiliate made sense. DTV made a point of saying they'd be interested in CW but it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that CW would go to FMB. Between that and no other station being considered, one could almost say that Midwest bought XETV, moved it across the border and moved it to a subchannel of KFMB, creating a duopoly in a really slick way.

So basically KFMB bought a pile of crap, kept a few things and chucked the rest...? I think that summarizes this affiliation change quite well.

Do you think that attaching the CW affiliation to any CBS affiliation renewal will become standard practice, or is this one of those special cases?

They bought all of it except the weekend portion, which someone at KFMB said would most likely land on XDTV. Also, The CW never approached KUSI or XDTV after leaving XETV. The CW, as we all probably know, was a package deal for the CBS renewal. Just figured that'd be worth noting.

I keep forgetting XDTV even exists, I have DIRECTV and we don't even get that channel, so no Rachael Ray for me.

So basically KFMB bought a pile of crap, kept a few things and chucked the rest...? I think that summarizes this affiliation change quite well.

Do you think that attaching the CW affiliation to any CBS affiliation renewal will become standard practice, or is this one of those special cases?

Wonder if we'll see Ashley Jacobs interviewing Maury Povich and Pat Robertson appearing on the Zevely Zone.

With the likes of it, I wouldn't be surprised if CBS makes it a mandate in the future, especially with Sinclair buying up the Tribune stations, I'm a little surprised that KCAL hasn't picked up The CW yet after all these years under CBS.

I keep forgetting XDTV even exists, I have DIRECTV and we don't even get that channel, so no Rachael Ray for me.

Wonder if we'll see Ashley Jacobs interviewing Maury Povich and Pat Robertson appearing on the Zevely Zone.

With the likes of it, I wouldn't be surprised if CBS makes it a mandate in the future, especially with Sinclair buying up the Tribune stations, I'm a little surprised that KCAL hasn't picked up The CW yet after all these years under CBS.

Well she did interview David Hasselhoff the other day, so you can bet on her interviewing more of them nuts for her AM segments.

Do stations have to pay Pat Robertson to air the 700 club? or does Robertson pay the stations to air the program? because if stations have to pay for that shit, then might as well flush the money down the toilet. Better use of money that way.

Do stations have to pay Pat Robertson to air the 700 club? or does Robertson pay the stations to air the program? because if stations have to pay for that shit, then might as well flush the money down the toilet. Better use of money that way.

I feel like The 700 Club and all those Sunday church evangelists pay for airtime on local stations, but I'm not too sure. Robertson and his club must be banking it though, not even Disney can buy them out of their deal on Freeform. Mickey Mouse can buy Captain America and Luke Skywalker, but their Robertson connection thanks to the Fox Family clause remains divine.

I can see it. Especially in smaller cities.

Oh Holy Dawsons Creek...

You are right!

Those bastards got XETV naturalized in the USA and nobody said anything.

No wonder they didn't promote it...they don't want any attention to the deal.

"Keep moving along...nothing to see here...."

DEPORT!

I think the proper term is "green card duopoly."

It's 2017 and we're still seeing "TV/DT" in a station ID? Hoo boy.

It's KFMB. They don't know any better.

On a side note, it looks like KFMB took over the CW6 San Diego Twitter feed from XETV.

[MEDIA=twitter]866744801219063808[/MEDIA]

Interesting... The domain hasn't transferred over or been changed, but there's really no need for it.

That might also have been something KFMB asked the bones of Bay City to do or as part of a promotional transition. Keep in mind 5/30 is the last day for some people still, primarily sales and I'm sure a few technical functions as well. Then one or two people stick around to wind up the station's assets and whatnot.

They bought all of it except the weekend portion, which someone at KFMB said would most likely land on XDTV. Also, The CW never approached KUSI or XDTV after leaving XETV. The CW, as we all probably know, was a package deal for the CBS renewal. Just figured that'd be worth noting.

This includes all shows that would have premiered on XETV in syndication for fall 2017-18.

It looks like the majority of the remains of XETV's weekend lineup included weekend double-runs of their existing weeknight sitcom inventory, so that narrows things down quite a bit to a few barter shows and the like which wouldn't be carried over.

My guess is any programming not carried over will be pretty negligible. KFMB effectively got the key XETV inventory otherwise.

Where would the CW programming go on KCAL? Their 8-11 news block is a counterprogramming institution in the market that CBS would be nuts to give up.

It's KFMB. They don't know any better.

On a side note, it looks like KFMB took over the CW6 San Diego Twitter feed from XETV.

[MEDIA=twitter]866744801219063808[/MEDIA]

KFMB apparently took over all the former XETV social media accounts... especially Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

KFMB apparently took over all the former XETV social media accounts... especially Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

I wonder how much KFMB had to fork over for XETV to willingly give up their online presence.

Not sure if it was mentioned on this thread but according to times of SD. CW News8 will premiere on channel 6 and other channels depending on cable/satellite. And of course on 8.2 over the air

From Times of SD:

Viewers will see The CW San Diego on Channel 6 on several cable TV and satellite systems, including Cox, Spectrum, Dish Network and AT&T U-Verse. The station also will be seen on the following channels: Cox and U-Verse 1006, Spectrum 1212, DirectTV Channel 9, Dish Network 8794 and over-the-air on Channel 8.2.

https://timesofsandiego.com/business/2017/05/21/marketink-kfmb-launches-the-cw-san-diego-on-channel-6-on-may-31/

It's a press release that probably was put on their site because "San Diego" was in it.

It actually says at the bottom:

"Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. Frankly and this Site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you are affiliated with this page and have questions or removal reuqests [sic] please contact [email protected]"

If I'm KFMB, I'm asking for this not to be on my site, but I also know that I didn't put it there.

It's a press release that probably was put on their site because "San Diego" was in it.

"Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. Frankly and this Site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you are affiliated with this page and have questions or removal reuqests [sic] please contact [email protected]"

If I'm KFMB, I'm asking for this not to be on my site, but I also know that I didn't put it there.

I know KFMB didn't want it on their site..but I am glad to see the auction link and what stuff is up for auction. I want the news set including the nice Sharp Video Wall in the back

I know KFMB didn't want it on their site..but I am glad to see the auction link and what stuff is up for auction. I want the news set including the nice Sharp Video Wall in the back

I'm surprised at some of the equipment they have. I was expecting more downmarket.

I'm surprised that wasn't on the list of things for sale. Mostly lights. The only set that was on sale was the San Diego Living furniture and kitchen appliances lol

Either way, whether they put it up or some third party, ultimately they're responsible for the content on their site. Do they not have any web editors that look over the content on the site to make sure that everything is up to their standards?

Archived