San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

I know KFMB didn't want it on their site..but I am glad to see the auction link and what stuff is up for auction. I want the news set including the nice Sharp Video Wall in the back

I'm surprised that wasn't on the list of things for sale. Mostly lights. The only set that was on sale was the San Diego Living furniture and kitchen appliances lol

Wasn't the sharp video wall some sort of product placement. I seem to recall seeing the logo mentioned in the end credits like you would see the local hair salon in Miami.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Either way, whether they put it up or some third party, ultimately they're responsible for the content on their site. Do they not have any web editors that look over the content on the site to make sure that everything is up to their standards?

Oh they have web editors...

It's the "standards" part that is inept.

I'm assuming that KFMB subscribes to BusinessWire for syndicated content like CNN and AP? If so, they probably have no say on if it should go live on their website or not.

If they selected that press release, however...

Wasn't the sharp video wall some sort of product placement. I seem to recall seeing the logo mentioned in the end credits like you would see the local hair salon in Miami.

Yeah the video wall was at the end. Before the video wall was "hair and make up by Dearinger Salon."

I'm assuming that KFMB subscribes to BusinessWire for syndicated content like CNN and AP? If so, they probably have no say on if it should go live on their website or not.

If they selected that press release, however...

Maybe the webmaster wanted to remind his station that they can get some sweet deals on equipment. I mean that stuff normally won't be sold on pennies on the dollar in your backyard..so they feel probably best to just send the owners a reminder ;)

This further proves of how ill-prepared KFMB has been with the CW switch.

They'd posted a new url on their main website, thecwsandiego.com. But as you see on the link, the website still has the GoDaddy insignia. No website design yet..

Could be worse; they could have just linked to a yourcw.com site and called it a day.

New Mic flags: They look atrocious (Edit: at the very least, they should have made the box blue, and the 8 white).

IMG_3345_zpsnujdsr7o.jpg

Not sure why they're so insistent on ditching any references to the CBS network. I'm starting to see more and more promos without the CBS eye/name. They're even going back to using KFMB.com

Does anyone know if CBS mandates that the affiliates display the eye next to their logo?

I wonder why they didn't try to get XETV's website seeing as they took over their FB, Twitter and Insta. pages.

Unless everything is all redirected

New Mic flags: They look atrocious (Edit: at the very least, they should have made the box blue, and the 8 white).

IMG_3345_zpsnujdsr7o.jpg

Not sure why they're so insistent on ditching any references to the CBS network. I'm starting to see more and more promos without the CBS eye/name. They're even going back to using KFMB.com

Does anyone know if CBS mandates that the affiliates display the eye next to their logo?

KFMB, the new KPIX south.

IMG_3345_zpsnujdsr7o.jpg

-

Somebody must be feeling dissed by the network.

Things are done for a reason.

That nub is nice...but the mic flags does suck.

-

Somebody must be feeling dissed by the network.

Things are done for a reason.

That nub is nice...but the mic flags does suck.

I think it's the new GM trying to make his own mark on the station. Usually the easiest way to achieve that is by rebranding or hiring/firing talent.

The thing that irks me is that just when they were doing good on having ONE cohesive brand, boom, here they come out with this shit and start the mashing of branding/graphics, again. I guess they must be afraid of having the CBS and CW logos touch/come in contact with one another. What other explanation could there be for them trying to make things so generic?

On a side note, It just crossed my mind that during the 90s-2005, the CBS eye was fairly small. Then when they rebranded back to News 8 from Local 8, the eye grew until the 2013 refresh in which it shrunk again. This time around, the eye is completely shut. LOL.

I think it's the new GM trying to make his own mark on the station. Usually the easiest way to achieve that is by rebranding or hiring/firing talent.

The thing that irks me is that just when they were doing good on having ONE cohesive brand, boom, here they come out with this shit and start the mashing of branding/graphics, again. I guess they must be afraid of having the CBS and CW logos touch/come in contact with one another. What other explanation could there be for them trying to make things so generic?

On a side note, It just crossed my mind that during the 90s-2005, the CBS eye was fairly small. Then when they rebranded back to News 8 from Local 8, the eye grew until the 2013 refresh in which it shrunk again. This time around, the eye is completely shut. LOL.

Black Eye....

The branding was just fine.

Maybe you are right...they are afraid of CW Cooties or something.

Check your local listings???

You serious?

It's the beginning of the end at KFMB>>>>

Anyone see the latest radio ratings for the 760AM? KOGO slammed them.

FOX5 now claiming #1 at 10 PM. Guess enough people went form CW6 to them to get them past KUSI? Also I thought FOX was already #1 at 10. Also a nice head start for them right before CW News 8 launches.

Black Eye....

The branding was just fine.

Maybe you are right...they are afraid of CW Cooties or something.

Check your local listings???

You serious?

It's the beginning of the end at KFMB>>>>

Anyone see the latest radio ratings for the 760AM? KOGO slammed them.

Botched from start to finish. I'm assuming the owners are of the hands-off approach, otherwise anyone with a single brain cell would question their idiotic moves these last 5 months or so.

In regards to the radio stations... Something seemed a bit off ever since they went into and quickly left that LMA with the BCA folks. I think it only lasted a few months before they split up. Not sure what the deal was, but it was a head-turner for sure. Was that an attempt at trying to unload the radio stations? or just another way to make a few extra bucks? Either way, I'm guessing that the TV station helps to prop the radio stations up--it's especially surprising given that KFMB-AM has a conservative format and isn't attracting the audience like KOGO.

It appears that I've discovered the guide of KFMB's DT2 lineup that starts on Wednesday. And it looks like they damn near have all of XETV's weekday syndie inventory except for Hot Bench.

The CW Launch Lineup (5/31)

12:00am - The King of Queens (x2)

1:00am - Rules of Engagement (x2)

2:00am - Hot in Cleveland (x2)

3:00am - Mike & Molly

3:30am - The Insider

4:00am - Judge Mathis

5:00am - The Middle

5:30am - The Insider

6:00am - The Doctors

7:00am - News 8 Morning Extra

9:00am - The 700 Club

10:00am - Dr. Phil

11:00am - The Doctors

12:00pm - Judge Faith (x2)

1:00pm - Maury Povich

2:00pm - Robert Irvine

3:00pm - Lauren Lake's Paternity Court (x2)

4:00pm - Judge Mathis

5:00pm - Mike & Molly

5:30pm - 2 Broke Girls

6:00pm - Judge Judy (classic repeats x2)

7:00pm - News 8 at 7pm

7:30pm - 2 Broke Girls

8:00pm - Arrow

9:00pm - DC's Legends of Tomorrow

10:00pm - News 8 at 10pm

10:30pm - Entertainment Tonight

11:00pm - Seinfeld (x2)

On the weekends, XETV currently air One Magnificent Morning from 6-11am. KFMB-DT2 will air the block in its proper 7am-12pm timeframe. I don't see Tosh-0, that dog show or that wrestling show on the new line-up (I assume those shows will be moved to XHDTV). But I do see Ninja Warrior which will air on the same day (Saturday), but in primetime. Just For Laughs is also in the weekend lineup as well.

Unless everything is all redirected

KFMB, the new KPIX south.

The difference being that KPIX 1) still uses the CBS Eye Device in their logo and 2) follows the lead of KDKA, WJZ, WCCO and WBZ in not using the "CBS #" branding standard.

This whole branding issue, at least IMO, is nothing more than simple overthinking by management... that since KFMB now encompasses both CBS and the CW, have a simple brand that applies to both. Clearly it was unnecessary, but ya gotta do what consultants tell you to do.

[QUOTE="Myron Falwell, post: 181223, member: 2210"]The difference being that KPIX 1) still uses the CBS Eye Device in their logo and 2) follows the lead of KDKA, WJZ, WCCO and WBZ in not using the "CBS #" branding standard. This whole branding issue, at least IMO, is nothing more than simple overthinking by management... that since KFMB now encompasses both CBS and the CW, have a simple brand that applies to both. Clearly it was unnecessary, but ya gotta do what consultants tell you to do.[/QUOTE] Well they must have gotten the same shitty consultants that KUSI uses then... P.S. I'm fairly certain that KUSI doesn't use consultants, I could be wrong (@Eat News , can you confirm or deny, plz)?. In which case this whole mess falls squarely on management. Let's see if uncle Les cares enough to call KFMB to tell them that they need to reopen their "eye."

It appears that I've discovered the guide of KFMB's DT2 lineup that starts on Wednesday. And it looks like they damn near have all of XETV's weekday syndie inventory except for Hot Bench.

On the weekends, XETV currently air One Magnificent Morning from 6-11am. KFMB-DT2 will air the block in its proper 7am-12pm timeframe. I don't see Tosh-0, that dog show or that wrestling show on the new line-up (I assume those shows will be moved to XHDTV). But I do see Ninja Warrior which will air on the same day (Saturday), but in primetime. Just For Laughs is also in the weekend lineup as well.

Oh and no weekend news whatsoever which surprised me.

If that TWC guide is accurate, as is the Zap2It guide currently out... the same exact episode of King of Queens (season 1's "Fat City") will be the final regularly scheduled program on XETV 6.1... and the first regularly scheduled program on KFMB 8.2. So if you're watching on cable channel 6, chances are it will be a case of deja vu.

I don't expect 6.1 to do any fanfare with their shutdown, as that fanfare took place with their finale newscasts. Unless they have a preproduced goodbye message, which I doubt is the case...

If that TWC guide is accurate, as is the Zap2It guide currently out... the same exact episode of King of Queens (season 1's "Fat City") will be the final regularly scheduled program on XETV 6.1... and the first regularly scheduled program on KFMB 8.2. So if you're watching on cable channel 6, chances are it will be a case of deja vu.

I don't expect 6.1 to do any fanfare with their shutdown, as that fanfare took place with their finale newscasts. Unless they have a preproduced goodbye message, which I doubt is the case...

I'd be very interested to see what happens at the end of that final episode with the over-the-air feed. Apparently Televisa Tijuana has been running promos that the Canal 5 sub will move to 6.1. No application to change things ever crossed the IFT — it wasn't on the May 11 or May 17 meeting agendas.

I'd be very interested to see what happens at the end of that final episode with the over-the-air feed. Apparently Televisa Tijuana has been running promos that the Canal 5 sub will move to 6.1. No application to change things ever crossed the IFT — it wasn't on the May 11 or May 17 meeting agendas.

Haven't they posted any press releases elsewhere regarting the switch of Canal 5, other then on-air mentions?

Archived