San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

Has XETV ever said exactly WHY they were shutting down?

Did anyone even ask?

I think most of us assume it would be because they were losing money.

Just one more unanswered question in a very strange sequence of events.

I'm in denial and at a total loss for words at the same time.

I see what I assume are paid spots in all breaks...

If money was an issue why not just shut down the news, and keep the CW Programming?

What impact did the salaries of the admin staff have on the overall scope of things?

Oh well....so sad.

It really didn't have to happen.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has XETV ever said exactly WHY they were shutting down?

Did anyone even ask?

I think most of us assume it would be because they were losing money.

Just one more unanswered question in a very strange sequence of events.

I'm in denial and at a total loss for words at the same time.

I see what I assume are paid spots in all breaks...

If money was an issue why not just shut down the news, and keep the CW Programming?

What impact did the salaries of the admin staff have on the overall scope of things?

Shutting down the news and keeping The CW would have been difficult to do if the goal was to shutter Bay City Television, which I personally suspect.

Televisa is not in the best of shape right now. In the last week, it was rumored that Emilio Azcárraga Jean would resign from his post as president after 20 years. In 2016, their net profit fell 56.7 percent. Increased consulting costs, the cancellation of a satellite contract to be used for its Sky service, and severance packages for laid off employees also contributed to the narrower margins.

Shutting down the news and keeping The CW would have been difficult to do if the goal was to shutter Bay City Television, which I personally suspect.

Televisa is not in the best of shape right now. In the last week, it was rumored that Emilio Azcárraga Jean would resign from his post as president after 20 years. In 2016, their net profit fell 56.7 percent. Increased consulting costs, the cancellation of a satellite contract to be used for its Sky service, and severance packages for laid off employees also contributed to the narrower margins.

Yeahhh

The BCTV admin was really salary heavy with longtimers.....looooong.

I thought Televisa was in much better shape...but as usual you got the real dirt.

I guess we just wait it out now...cuz we will know soon enough....

To be continued.....

Yeahhh

The BCTV admin was really salary heavy with longtimers.....looooong.

I thought Televisa was in much better shape...but as usual you got the real dirt.

I guess we just wait it out now...cuz we will know soon enough....

To be continued.....

Longtimers with payroll obligations in US dollars. That's also important, especially when looking at USD to MXN this past year...

LyOuqFw.png

Whatever the circumstance(s) may be for being yanked their network affiliation, I'll miss XETV as a station. I'm a 90s San Diego kid and I grew up watching the Fox Kids and Disney Afternoon lineup, channel 6 was where it was at for my generation, I would remember right after Power Rangers at 4:30 and right before they aired their evening syndicated programing (which was either Start Trek: The New Generation or Dougie Howser MD at the time), the Baja California tourism board commercial would invite me daily to come south of the border and I can still vividly remember the grainy footage and vintage music that they played.

Fall of 1999 was an interesting time for local news broadcasting, both XETV and KSWB premiered their 10 o'clock news programs within months apart and brought a new vibe to local news. I remember watching their shows and observing how the visual aesthetics were advanced compared to the established, tired outlets. The narrative was also quite different, they had a fresh flair in telling their stories and their talent were hipper and younger. Out of the two, XETV quickly expanded to the mornings and brought more local programing with That Sunday Sports Show, Fox Rox, SD Living and hosted the weekly Chargers show. They were actually a great Fox station and a great CW station as well. With network changes, they reinvented themselves and stayed competitive, like bringing in the experimental 11@11 newscast. I would say they were one of the first CW stations to brand themselves away from the brand standard slime green logo and completely did their own thing with San Diego 6 branding, their network brand de-emphasizing template was eventually embraced by other stations namely the Tribune CW stations. So farewell XETV, thanks for the memories.

Is any of the info in this article new?

Highlights:

-The CW 10pm newscast will be 30 minutes; there will also be a 30-minute show at 7pm

Looks like the 4pm newscast proposed in a previous article is no longer happening. The newscast will be branded under the News 8 umbrella, a previous article said that the CW newscasts would be under a separate brand from News 8.

They posted some of the videos online.

Now was Bay City TV the (forgive me if I use the wrong term) the US holding company that ran the station and affiliation while Televisa (which owned BC?) took care of the transmitter / Mexican regulations — wanted to make sure I get this right.

As the station was licensed to Mexico how were simple things such as live shots handled? I seemed to recall reading that a standard ENG truck could not be used and their frequency wasn't "protected".

I know before the waiver programs were recorded and carried across the border and now program's could air live. How was the programming from Kearney Mesa transmitted back to Mexico for broadcast?

They posted some of the videos online.

Now was Bay City TV the (forgive me if I use the wrong term) the US holding company that ran the station and affiliation while Televisa (which owned BC?) took care of the transmitter / Mexican regulations — wanted to make sure I get this right.

As the station was licensed to Mexico how were simple things such as live shots handled? I seemed to recall reading that a standard ENG truck could not be used and their frequency wasn't "protected".

I know before the waiver programs were recorded and carried across the border and now program's could air live. How was the programming from Kearney Mesa transmitted back to Mexico for broadcast?

Correct on the holding company arrangement...

Live shots were done the exact same way as the US stations. The XETV trucks operated on commercial microwave channels and not the media relay channels. They shot to the same Mountain peaks the US stations used. In the first few months of the FOX newscast the sat truck was used to uplink the show. Later a fixed uplink was completed.

Before the 325 waiver was granted they would downlink much of the programming at the USA offices (no studios) and drive it to Tijuana a few time a day. Live programming was downlinked in TJ at the Xmitter site.

The XETV and XEWT Transmitter site on Mt San Antonio is guarded 24/7 by the Mexican Army carrying M-16's.

The transmitter site was always spotless. The chief engineer took a lot of pride in that place.

Correct on the holding company arrangement...

Live shots were done the exact same way as the US stations. The XETV trucks operated on commercial microwave channels and not the media relay channels. They shot to the same Mountain peaks the US stations used. In the first few months of the FOX newscast the sat truck was used to uplink the show. Later a fixed uplink was completed.

Before the 325 waiver was granted they would downlink much of the programming at the USA offices (no studios) and drive it to Tijuana a few time a day. Live programming was downlinked in TJ at the Xmitter site.

The XETV and XEWT Transmitter site on Mt San Antonio is guarded 24/7 by the Mexican Army carrying M-16's.

The transmitter site was always spotless. The chief engineer took a lot of pride in that place.

I was just looking on Fybush and the Mexican side looked impressively clean.

I brought up the ENG truck because I thought couldn't use the standard BAS that stations here do.

I completely missed the sign off. Bummer.

As far as the new newscasts go, seems like KFMB spoke too soon back in January and decided to back track a bit. I mean, if they wanted to do a 4/10pm newscasts, that would have meant having to hire another anchor team. This way, KFMB's evening team covers the CW news. The 30 minute newscast at 10 is a very stupid move. They're basically handing over the hour to KUSI/KSWB, when they could have run it for a full hour and use it as a tie-in to CBS News 8 at 11.

Oh, and "News 8 on San Diego's CW?" what the hell? They have a nice prime spot on channel 6 (at least on the two major cable co.'s), and they don't use the 6? Stupid.

Does anyone know what new station will serve as DirecTV's west coast national CW station for households who don't have a local DMA? Currently they're using XETV for the west and WDCW for the east. Will they adopt KFMBHD2 and can they use substation for a west coast national local?

Oh, and "News 8 on San Diego's CW?" what the hell? They have a nice prime spot on channel 6 (at least on the two major cable co.'s), and they don't use the 6? Stupid.

It would be very awkward for the new outlet to use the same exact branding that the predecessor CW station did, even though (if this sticks) they're taking their cable allotment. Now if XETV would've kept the "San Diego 6" branding at closing time and KFMB took the "CW 6" branding at launch time, that would be different. Using "San Diego's CW" instead of "CW 6" would be to try to differentiate themselves from the previous CW outlet.

But we don't know what KFMB is going to do, because they have yet to announce their CW plans. They're wasting folks time telling viewers "Changes are coming", but not elaborating on any of those "changes", which I think that's absurd. Things could change in two months time. Hell, they might use "CW 6" branding, we don't know. When we first heard these changes in January, they said the OTA signal will be on 8.3. But reading last night's U-T article, now they're saying it's 8.2.

XETV is now in skeletal mode for the next two months. This should be a opportune time for KFMB to announce its CW plans, in clarity. Is the new CW will be on 8.3 or 8.2, and if they're moving to 8.2, where is MeTV & Grit going? Will it be carried on DirecTV or Dish, and if so what channel? We see new articles about the change as we're getting closer, but I think its best to hear it from the horse's mouth.

It would be very awkward for the new outlet to use the same exact branding that the predecessor CW station did, even though (if this sticks) they're taking their cable allotment. Now if XETV would've kept the "San Diego 6" branding at closing time and KFMB took the "CW 6" branding at launch time, that would be different. Using "San Diego's CW" instead of "CW 6" would be to try to differentiate themselves from the previous CW outlet.

But we don't know what KFMB is going to do, because they have yet to announce their CW plans. They're wasting folks time telling viewers "Changes are coming", but not elaborating on any of those "changes", which I think that's absurd. Things could change in two months time. Hell, they might use "CW 6" branding, we don't know. When we first heard these changes in January, they said the OTA signal will be on 8.3. But reading last night's U-T article, now they're saying it's 8.2.

XETV is now in skeletal mode for the next two months. This should be a opportune time for KFMB to announce its CW plans, in clarity. Is the new CW will be on 8.3 or 8.2, and if they're moving to 8.2, where is MeTV & Grit going? Will it be carried on DirecTV or Dish, and if so what channel? We see new articles about the change as we're getting closer, but I think its best to hear it from the horse's mouth.

The situation is awkward already. It became that way the moment they announced they were taking the CW affiliation, and had a desire to keep on cable 6. Either way, viewers will see it (at least on cable) as CW6. So why have this clunky branding? The only real possibility as to why they didn't use the 6 could be because the channel spot hasn't been secured on ATT/Sat. Co.'s.

In heard today the new branding will be CW-Jack...

Cuz they don't know JACK SH&T.

This is incredibly sad. I just feel for them.

Yaaa,

And for all those people that are saying "No biggie, It was just the Mexican station..."

Well it IS a biggie...

It was OUR Mexican station.

They may have looked like Gringo's...acted like Gringo's...and played with the Gringo's, but WE all KNEW they were "The Mexicans"...and didn't care.

We all grew up together, so it didn't matter.

We all watched the same cartoons each day after school...little rascal's on Saturday and Sunday nights .

That stupid jingle....

"XETV 6 Ole!" was so baaaaad...just awful.

We didn't care....we were kids.

Hasta!

The closing comments and credits from the final late newscast are up on YouTube.

This is pretty unfortunate for XETV. The sign-off gave me

Nothing really can top CKX-TV, given that CTVglobemedia permanently cut the carrier two minutes after that video ended (which is why CKX ended with a live shot of the transmission tower).

I'd even throw in CHCA's "thank you for watching" farewell slide that ran all throughout their final day on air.

Ironically the credit roll and Auld Lang Syne is reminiscent of the "in memoriam" primitive art cart slide running at the end of XETV's "Up To Date" 1977 newscast.

Archived