Hearst Graphics

BostonMediaWatch

Any insight on when Hearst stations will be getting new packages? They started rolling out the current package in mid-late 2012, going on 5 years you'd think they'd start thinking about changing them.

WMUR didn't get their new look until mid-2014. I don't think it's time to update. Granted, they were a special case considering that they needed to differentiate their graphics from WCVB, but still.

Hearst, Tegna, and Scripps all rolled out their packages in 2012. One of them is bound to be updating soon, one would think.

Hearst and Scripps went too far with their graphics rollouts and now have so much physical stuff with the graphics on it (set pieces, signage, truck wraps, etc), the likelihood of them changing anytime soon is extremely low since the cost to change would be enormous.

Updates? Maybe. But the "Diagrid" on Hearst and blue/orange look at Scripps are likely to stick around for a while more.

Hearst and Scripps went too far with their graphics rollouts and now have so much physical stuff with the graphics on it (set pieces, signage, truck wraps, etc), the likelihood of them changing anytime soon is extremely low since the cost to change would be enormous.

Updates? Maybe. But the "Diagrid" on Hearst and blue/orange look at Scripps are likely to stick around for a while more.

I just realized that the Diagrid on WBAL's set pieces aren't the traditional layout - it was more or less a series of them overlapped. Not entirely visible.

And in Scripps' case, WGBA is only a few months into the package (Any other stations that only switched recently?).

Sounds about right. The Bank Gothic Hearst era lasted about 8 years (1995/96-2003/04) with an update somewhere in between (2000ish)

Oh, of course. That's all I meant. All three looks are too ingrained (and new in some places) to be completely blown up now.

Hearst, Tegna, and Scripps all rolled out their packages in 2012. One of them is bound to be updating soon, one would think.

For sure, Tegna will be the first to update. Their G3 look has been butchered to the point of no return and it appears this group is inching closer and closer for a graphics refresh. Take into mind the many corporate changes at this company since its inception, it's really not far off.

On Hearst and Scripps, I echo Weeters' statement. These two graphic packages have been practically engraved into their stations - on anything with a screen or paper. I doubt their packages are going away anytime soon.

Especially in the case for Scripps, their Renderon package is so incredibly revolutionary and fresh it's hard to see it disappear too.

Especially in the case for Scripps, their Renderon package is so incredibly revolutionary and fresh it's hard to see it disappear too.

Revolutionary? I just don't see it. My biggest complaint is the lower thirds. The modularity of it, while sounding good on paper, just doesn't play out well.

Tegna is overhauling this year

Will they be getting the KXTV Graphics? I hope not. They look like HLN. Will the Tegna stations be getting new music? When will the roll out begin?

Sounds about right. The Bank Gothic Hearst era lasted about 8 years (1995/96-2003/04) with an update somewhere in between (2000ish)

So 2017 sounds about right for an update. They need new L3s, bugs, opens, tweeked weather graphics, and headline graphics. And they need to force their stations to use them. Not just send out the templates and let the stations pick and choose.

Tegna is overhauling this year.

I thought the ABC 10 Connects update was custom. I guess time will tell if it'll go group-wide.

Revolutionary? I just don't see it.

Sorru. I mean like, it spawned knock offs upon knock offs of graphic packages that utilizes the now-mainstream 'glass pane' environment. KAKE, WFXR, WNCN and even Sinclair could be examples. It might have been attempted a few times prior to Renderon's, but it hasn't been this widespread after theirs from what I remember.

And in Scripps' case, WGBA is only a few months into the package (Any other stations that only switched recently?).

the other ex-journal stations are in the pipleline for the scripps package. they will all get the current package before scripps does anything to it (updates/refreshes)

Archived