NBC News Special Report new L3s

ColDayNews

Because they are using the same font? I'll have to admit though, this is not the first time NBC and ABC used the same base typeface. Both networks once used DIN FF in the late 2000s and during the 2008 election.

Anyways, appearing from the animation it looks like they chopped off a few seconds of the countdown in order to align themselves with the latest television automation and the countdowns of their competitors ABC and CBS. After inspecting the animation from various videos my rough guess is that it probably starts at 5 or 6 seconds in.

No, it's not just the font. It's the animation of the countdown too. To me it just feels like ABC, but I love this SR Open.

New NBC Special report intro! ITS BEAUTIFUL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSztzd0GLAU

I'm surprised the map in the peacock features Europe (specifically the UK) and not the United States.

Don't like how those NBC Chimes (specifically the 1st & 2nd) are edited like that, like its rushed.

It's been like that for years.

Highly doubt NBC would replace The Mission for the special report music.

Exactly. If you read some youtube comments you'll see people mention how when they hear those special report chimes, they know that something serious has happened. ABC, CBS, Fox, and CNN don't have anything near that caliber of public resonance with their music, especially since they've all moved away from their classic themes. NBC moved away from The Mission with the Today Show, and it while the new theme is still powerful, it's a different type of power that's not like it was.

The USA is on the left hand side of the peacock.

Right I know. When I said "features" I mean that the animation starts and zooms out from Europe. I would have thought they'd have it start and zoom out from the USA.

It's quite amazing how much ABC and CBS have diluted their classic themes. Now that I've had a few months to sit with it, I'm pretty surprised CBS ditched their old music entirely without trying to update it or anything. The new music is fine, but it doesn't feel like CBS, and while their special report music isn't bad, it isn't anything that sticks out like this cut of the Mission. When you hear this cut of the Mission and see "Special Report," you know something big is happening.

I miss the old ABC theme. Yeah, it was kind of slow-paced, but when that somber music hit you knew something was up. I also loved the opens CBS used in the Dan Rather days - the 10-second countdown ones. Those were really nice and over the top.

But I still think nothing beats Pulse of Events. Whoever decided to add the chimes to the beginning really deserves a raise - it's a masterstroke. When you hear those chimes pop in, followed by that string bed, it's a great musical symbol.

CNN had the same thing going with this classic open, but sadly they've diluted this to just be a stinger in any given show. I'm not one to say that any news music from the 80s is automatically better, but this piece below really is an icon.

You're absolutely right about how they diluted it under Zucker, but I will say that it still has something of an impact when they use the full stinger. The last few days have illustrated that.

I miss the old ABC theme. Yeah, it was kind of slow-paced, but when that somber music hit you knew something was up. I also loved the opens CBS used in the Dan Rather days - the 10-second countdown ones. Those were really nice and over the top.

But I still think nothing beats Pulse of Events. Whoever decided to add the chimes to the beginning really deserves a raise - it's a masterstroke. When you hear those chimes pop in, followed by that string bed, it's a great musical symbol.

You're absolutely right about how they diluted it under Zucker, but I will say that it still has something of an impact when they use the full stinger. The last few days have illustrated that.

Fox has been using a cut from the O&O package since 2009-2010:

They originally used a version of the 1996 FNC chimes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y6J-qP2ecs.

I will say Fox's old SR music runs a close second to The Pulse of Events.

Highly doubt NBC would replace The Mission for the special report music.

They also use it for "Meet The Press".

And they will get rid of that theme the same time they get rid of the tagline "If it's Sunday, it's Meet the Press".

Speaking of CBS, while the Horner theme doesn't have any fans (myself included), the Special Report theme from that era was quite nice.

When I say dilute, I mean not only labeling everything as Breaking News, but also the dilution of the actual musical score. The current Breaking News sting on CNN is still pretty good, but it's nothing quite like the one used from the beginning until about 2004.

NBC's former Special Report logo used Helvetica.

ABC's former Special Report logo used Helvetica.

CBS's former Special Report logo used Avenir.

NBC's current Special Report logo uses Gotham.

ABC's current Special Report logo uses Gotham.

CBS's current Special Report logo uses Helvetica.

Never change, CBS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump.

Here's a good glimpse of the holding slide NBC aired before pushing the countdown to today's 2nd special report broadcast. (Note: the rapid jump cuts is to alert affiliates' master control)

Also confirmed: the intro tape starts at T -5 seconds, not 10 - a departure from this:

Bump.

Here's a good glimpse of the holding slide NBC aired before pushing the countdown to today's 2nd special report broadcast. (Note: the rapid jump cuts is to alert affiliates' master control)

Looks good but maybe some sort of tone would go well with the flash cuts. Some master control operator could see the five second marker, start counting down and cut early.

• 2 weeks later...

I put this in the main page chat but I thought i would throw it here too. So I've come to the conclusion that the new SR intro is shorter than the old one, especially in the sense of the prominence of the music. In the old intro there was a solid three seconds of music between the chimes and the beginning of the voiceover. In this intro that space is almost nonexistent. I don't like this because I believe that those few seconds served as a nice build up, allowing people who are in another room from the t.v. enough time to recognize the urgency of the music and get in front of their tv to watch the special report. My local NBC station (O&O) has been cutting into the open after the chimes as well so it's even shorter for me as suddenly I hear the jarring VO.

Archived