NBC News Special Report new L3s

ColDayNews

They're very nice. The connection to the MSNBC look is very loose, though, more Nightly News, really. The Today show's graphics should be redone in these dimensions and this template.

1594914952_bandicam2017-05-1610-58-47-406.thumb.png.3065bb6211f9e51f39659b95620d5c6f.png

1558790033_bandicam2017-05-1611-06-14-375.thumb.png.f8c003f653c98fa2e76fcfb1be0724f7.png

A much needed update if you ask me... There seemed to be several versions of the old graphics if you looked closely, probably dependent on which NBC control room was originating the SR. These should be easy to recreate between Chyron and VizRT.

Thank goodness. This was 5 years overdo. Although it's a bit weird that the peacock is just floating and not in a box, especially with the live bug above it. Regardless, it's a great improvement. Maybe they'll update the special report open next. How long has that thing been around?

Thank goodness. This was 5 years overdo. Although it's a bit weird that the peacock is just floating and not in a box, especially with the live bug above it. Regardless, it's a great improvement. Maybe they'll update the special report open next. How long has that thing been around?

Since 2009... That's 8 years expired

And probably replace the original 1985 recording of the John Williams-composed Meet the Press/breaking news theme music "The Pulse of Events" with a 2012 recording the next time news breaks; the 2012 recording is used on Meet the Press.

Update: the 1985 Meet the Press/breaking news theme music remains intact.

A much needed update if you ask me... There seemed to be several versions of the old graphics if you looked closely, probably dependent on which NBC control room was originating the SR. These should be easy to recreate between Chyron and VizRT.

The update looks good.

This plays into what we were talking about in the shoutbox. There seems to be a version for when it originates on NBC and MSNBC. I know that with the last graphics update on MSNBC it appeared they were still using a combo of Viz and Chyron (based on on graphics producers IG story). I almost expect with MSNBC's graphics refresh they'd ditch the chyrons.

Side Note: Has there ever been a three network special report amongst NBC, MSNBC and CNBC?

The update looks good.

Side Note: Has there ever been a three network special report amongst NBC, MSNBC and CNBC?

I think during 9/11 coverage NBC and MSNBC simulcast at some point. Not sure about CNBC

Although, I must say. The countdown is too similar to ABC.

True but remember the countdown shouldn't get on air. Ideally the local station should time it right to cut right as the chimes start.

Update: the 1985 Meet the Press/breaking news theme music remains intact.

As well it should. It's the best news theme in use on any American network period.

As well it should. It's the best news theme in use on any American network period.

It's quite amazing how much ABC and CBS have diluted their classic themes. Now that I've had a few months to sit with it, I'm pretty surprised CBS ditched their old music entirely without trying to update it or anything. The new music is fine, but it doesn't feel like CBS, and while their special report music isn't bad, it isn't anything that sticks out like this cut of the Mission. When you hear this cut of the Mission and see "Special Report," you know something big is happening.

CNN had the same thing going with this classic open, but sadly they've diluted this to just be a stinger in any given show. I'm not one to say that any news music from the 80s is automatically better, but this piece below really is an icon.

As it should be...

A proper countdown should also have the numbers 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2 and 1. Note countdowns from Mexico and parts of the Azors do not use number 7.

Numbers should always "count down" and not "up". such as 7,6,5...(except Mexico and parts of the Azors)

Countdowns should use the common numbers of the world and NOT metric numbers.

Making countdowns can be fun , and Collecting countdowns can also be fun.

I remember as a young chap Father and I used to make countdowns in the woods and lug them home each winter.

Enjoy this generic KBEX countdown.

It's my favorite!

Don't like how those NBC Chimes (specifically the 1st & 2nd) are edited like that, like its rushed.

I remember that quicker beat between the first and second in some promos way, way back when, so it might just be a direct rip of that.

Because they are using the same font? I'll have to admit though, this is not the first time NBC and ABC used the same base typeface. Both networks once used DIN FF in the late 2000s and during the 2008 election.

Anyways, appearing from the animation it looks like they chopped off a few seconds of the countdown in order to align themselves with the latest television automation and the countdowns of their competitors ABC and CBS. After inspecting the animation from various videos my rough guess is that it probably starts at 5 or 6 seconds in.

Archived