Lori Stokes leaves WABC.

CircleSeven

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ken said in his Facebook live this morning that this was not in the plans and was sudden. That explains why Michelle was co-anchoring still and Lori didn't join them until the end to say goodbye. Ken also mentioned, which is true, how thankful he and the crew are to WABC management for allowing the on-air goodbye to Lori. Again, given the suddenness of her departure, it's not often a station dedicates nearly six minutes of air to someone who is leaving for another job. (At WABC, outside of retirements, the last person to leave that got a big on air send off was Roz Abrams before she jumped to WCBS).

In any case, very sad to see Lori go. She truly was the rock of EWN This Morning and carried that show. WABC has huge shoes to fill.

WOW. There has to be more to this story. Has anyone heard any rumors about where Lori is headed? There's no way she doesn't land a gig somewhere. This is also telling because EWN doesn't seem to have these kind of defects at least not as long as I've been watching/monitoring.

I am absolutely stunned. And so sad. Lori Stokes has always been top-notch. It sounds like she is moving in a totally different life direction. I pray that it's a good and exciting one, and not one related to her health or anything of that sort.

It would be unfair to speculate who might replace her, but man, this hurts. The comforting presence that Lori Stokes has provided for the last 17 years at WABC and her ability to deliver the news has been something you can't find elsewhere but WABC.

Lori has been an institution, and you can tell it affected the entire group, aside of just Ken, Michelle and Heather were basically in tears this morning. It is going to be hard to wake up at 4 or 5 and not hear Ken and Lori together on my phone.

I hope the best in her future endeavors.

I wouldn't be surprised if the grind of the hours of the morning shift were the biggest reason - and maybe she found a good opportunity that doesn't involve those hours. So possibly less to do with anything specific to WABC, and more to do with the hours of that job.

Let's see - wish her well.

Does Michelle have a shot at this? She's great too.

Haven't been around in a while but I must say, this is actually disappointing. Lori was New York's sweet heart, just like Katie Couric was America's sweet heart. You could tell Bill was just heartbroken on the air this morning during her sign-off. And Michelle just looked completely disappointed like the circumstances were just ridiculous.

I wonder how long Bill will stay, now that Lori is gone, I wonder how much he really wants to stay, he easily has enough money to retire any day he chooses. I also wonder if WABC wants to expand the morning news to 4am like WNBC and Lori just didn't want to do it.

Everything that's been said makes it sound like she has a plan already and that we'll just have to wait and see where she goes, news or otherwise. I sure hope she stays in NY, while she won't receive the giant audience that WABC gets, the community loves her and she will be a strong addition to any news team.

WNBC: Could she be replacing Stacey Bell who originally left WNBC because her husband is in Buffalo (and still is as far as I can tell)?

WCBS: Replacing Dana Tyler perhaps? Starting a 4pm show?

WNYW: Who the hell knows. Joining GDNY?

WPIX: Replacing literally anyone or everyone there? ;)

Huge loss, as others have said. Lori said she is “shifting gears,” and while it’s possible I am reading too much into her use of that phrase, to me it indicates she’s not just jumping ship to WCBS or WNBC. I have a couple of theories, both of course nothing more than speculation:

1. She’ll host a daytime show on another network or on cable
  2. Inspired by her father, she’s running for political office.

I'm still confused about why Michelle was co-anchoring this morning instead of Lori, if Lori appeared during the show anyway. Anyone have insight into why this may have been?

My opinion is she's moving. Doesn't she have a lot of fanily in Cleveland. Probably wants to be closer to them. I don't think she's going to another station. Seems sudden though.

As for her replacement i would like to see Michelle.

I think she should have had a few days to say goodbye . Could it have been a contract renewal dispute and that's why she was only on air for a few minutes to say goodbye?

I think Michele should get weekdays morning with Ken and Toni Yates taking Michele's spot on the weekends but I wouldn't be surprised if Charlene apricot got the morning spot

I'd assume it's certainly an opportunity that came up suddenly and was too good or too interesting to pass up. Either there was a window or clause in her contract that afforded her the chance to take the opportunity or WABC management was gracious enough to release her from her contract. If it's something in TV, I would agree it's a daytime network or cable gig and not on a competing station.

Haven't been around in a while but I must say, this is actually disappointing. Lori was New York's sweet heart, just like Katie Couric was America's sweet heart. You could tell Bill was just heartbroken on the air this morning during her sign-off. And Michelle just looked completely disappointed like the circumstances were just ridiculous.

I wonder how long Bill will stay, now that Lori is gone, I wonder how much he really wants to stay, he easily has enough money to retire any day he chooses. I also wonder if WABC wants to expand the morning news to 4am like WNBC and Lori just didn't want to do it.

Everything that's been said makes it sound like she has a plan already and that we'll just have to wait and see where she goes, news or otherwise. I sure hope she stays in NY, while she won't receive the giant audience that WABC gets, the community loves her and she will be a strong addition to any news team.

WNBC: Could she be replacing Stacey Bell who originally left WNBC because her husband is in Buffalo (and still is as far as I can tell)?

I doubt any experienced NY reporter or anchor would touch PIX 11 at this point considering the sale to Sinclair. Low pay, inexperienced staff is a hallmark of Sinclairs bare bones type of operations. Not all their big 3 network stations even carry news. Time will tell.

Stacey Bell (NBC4) is married to Anthony Lynn, who is the new HC of the SD, oops, LA Chargers. There may be something to that speculation now that they are separated by a whole continent, but one thing to consider is Lori's ex works at NBC4.

It could also be that her/agent couldn't agree to a new contract with the station and decided to part ways. This may explain why she didn't work on her last day but instead came in to say goodbye.

She's a top notch journalist, she'll land on her feet when she's ready.

Going to miss Lori on 7...she did beyond great there!

As far as markets go, I see Cleveland, Detroit (her brother Chuck's at WXYZ), or Washington. Even more likely is a network spot, especially as an anchor or host; she'd especially be perfect for MSNBC.

I'm with Mountainave on the possibility of a political career. [Lori and her aforementioned brother promoted their late father's memoir, "The Gentleman From Ohio," earlier this year.]

As for a replacement — and that'll be tough, to say the least! — should be Michelle, Toni, or an outside hire.

Going to miss Lori on 7...she did beyond great there!

As far as markets go, I see Cleveland, Detroit (her brother Chuck's at WXYZ), or Washington. Even more likely is a network spot, especially as an anchor or host; she'd especially be perfect for MSNBC.

I'm with Mountainave on the possibility of a political career. [Lori and her aforementioned brother promoted their late father's memoir, "The Gentleman From Ohio," earlier this year.]

As for a replacement — and that'll be tough, to say the least! — should be Michelle, Toni, or an outside hire.

I'd say Toni should be the replacement ... I don't think they'll want to mess with the success of the weekend morning team.

I'm thinking they'll replace her with Shirleen. She seems like the most logical candidate since she's on at noon but who knows. Michelle and Toni are also strong contenders as well with Michelle being there I believe the longest (I may be wrong).

I'm thinking they'll replace her with Shirleen. She seems like the most logical candidate sice she's on at noon but who knows. Michelle and Toni are also strong contenders as well with Michelle being there I believe the longest (I may be wrong).

That was my first thought. Heck, they might shift her off the noon, but (in my opinion) she's too young and new to only be doing only one show. And yes, I realize Diana and Bill only anchor for an hour each day, too.

I don’t think any other stations will have her. Wnbc probably will not end up having her. But I can agree on WCBS having a 4pm Show, it makes a lot of sense as it can compete with WNBC and WABC and it’s an O&O Station. As for Lori herself, I wish her the very best for her future endeavors.

I don't know what anyone here sees in Toni to be quite honest. I think she'd be a good weekend morning anchor but at least at the moment, she does not have what it takes to anchor the most watched local morning newscast in America, she just doesn't have the gravitas.

At the end of the day, unless someone's coming from outside, it is Michele or Shirleen's spot to lose. If Shirleen moves to mornings, I would expect Michele replaces her at Noon, she has a great working relationship with David Novarro (and Ken frankly).

As a lifelong New Yorker, I honestly think the morning spot will go to Michele. She works great with Ken & Bill, and she and Heather are girlfriends. While Shirleen has filled in on the morning show, she seems to be more of a fill-in for the afternoon and evening teams, and I think that's where she'll stay until one of them leaves.

I'd say Toni should be the replacement ... I don't think they'll want to mess with the success of the weekend morning team.

Mess with the success of the weekend morning team???? They just lost their STAR morning anchor, you think they mind messing with their weekend team to help out the weekday team?

I doubt any experienced NY reporter or anchor would touch PIX 11 at this point considering the sale to Sinclair. Low pay, inexperienced staff is a hallmark of Sinclairs bare bones type of operations. Not all their big 3 network stations even carry news. Time will tell.

Completely agree, I was going through all the NY stations.

MSNBC seems like a good option, I can certainly see her going national. And hey, I hear they need someone for the CBS Evening News. Who knows what Les Moonves is up to :D.

Archived