Lori Stokes leaves WABC.

CircleSeven

I watched Friday's broadcast and noticed the chemistry continues to improve. In the Facebook Live after show, Lori implied that she thought her career was "winding down" and it was nice to "feel some love" from another station. This seems to align with speculation that Ch. 7 offered her a new contract that was not was she expected. I'm assuming negotiations dragged out to the point where there was a window for her to leave Ch. 7 air and pop up on a competitor in less than 2 months.

Ch-7 had plenty of time before Lori hit her "out". This has been on the radar for a long time.

ABC didn't have any cards to play, and her agent knew it.

ABC is in a money freeze right now and if they would have made an exception for Lori then her agent (who reps others at WABC) would have smelled blood in the ABC water.

FOX was more flexible and offered a better deal.

Plain and simple.

Don't read anything else into it except it was a straight business deal that the agent started putting together long ago.

The only real surprise was Lori saying "No" to ABC...cuz you can bet Camille thought she had that all wrapped up nicely.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lori and Rosanna seem fine together (only been a few days so well see..) what's going to be most interesting to see is Octobers numbers and how much WABC is affected without Lori.

WABC will be fine. Nothing to worry about there. They're just too dominant and have been for 4 decades.

As they claim that they're number one in ratings. I think WNBC should be catching up there soon.

But it would probably be like that because of how many people in New York obsess over SNL, especially those who lived through the 70s and after.

I've watched a bit of GDNY in the last couple of days, more than I have in years, and i was one of those people who was very skeptical about Lori being on Good Day New York and how the chemistry would be with Rosanna but I must say, I have to eat my own words. Lori & Rosanna really work well together and Lori actually fits with the show. Like someone here said Lori has a way of bringing her energy and style to a place and making it work and she has with GDNY and I may even watch the show more again. I look forward to seeing new Good Day New York ads on the buses with Lori's face beaming on it lol.

I've watched a bit of GDNY in the last couple of days, more than I have in years, and i was one of those people who was very skeptical about Lori being on Good Day New York and how the chemistry would be with Rosanna but I must say, I have to eat my own words. Lori & Rosanna really work well together and Lori actually fits with the show. Like someone here said Lori has a way of bringing her energy and style to a place and making it work and she has with GDNY and I may even watch the show more again. I look forward to seeing new Good Day New York ads on the buses with Lori's face beaming on it lol.

The last time I watched GDNY was in 2013 so I will see how it is like now

I agree. I was skeptical and tuned in just to see how Lori would fare on GDNY.. and I now find myself wanting to tune in to Good Day rather than my usual 7am choices of Good Morning America or CBS This Morning. I even try to tune into the Facebook Live after show while at work.

Lori always brought a great presence to EWN This Morning, and any other EWN shows she anchored... but seeing her on GDNY, even more of her personality is shining because of the flexibility of the show and I wish EWN would’ve allowed more of her personality to come out.

I agree. I was skeptical and tuned in just to see how Lori would fare on GDNY.. and I now find myself wanting to tune in to Good Day rather than my usual 7am choices of Good Morning America or CBS This Morning. I even try to tune into the Facebook Live after show while at work.

Lori always brought a great presence to EWN This Morning, and any other EWN shows she anchored... but seeing her on GDNY, even more of her personality is shining because of the flexibility of the show and I wish EWN would’ve allowed more of her personality to come out.

I totally agree! WABC failed to let Lori just be herself and as a result, i'm sure she just got tired of it. 17 years is a long time! She hinted at this during one of her Facebook Lives with Rosanna where she was just stationary at a desk or standing up reading. It does gets mundane after a while. Not to mention waking up so early to every morning to be there. They probably wake up at 3:00am in the morning if not earlier to prepare these broadcasts, thats so tough to do. At least with the 7AM start air time, she can wake up a little later. Its great to see this new side of her that that GDNY is allowing her to unleash we've pretty much never seen before. We'll have to see how the ratings play out with this new duo for WNYW, and also how WABC's ratings play out without Lori there anymore, though I'm confident that Lori's replacement, Shirleen is also a new breath of fresh air for that show as her personality is really fun. I like hearing her in the mornings when I wake up for work. :).

As for Lori, I wouldn't be surprised to see her eventually host her own TV Show or something of that sort. I recall in the past she was even a guest co-host on "The View". She oughta try to do that after her stint at GDNY. :)

As for GDNY, I actually Like GDNY's style of delivery, they are a lot "looser" when it comes to the way they deliver the news. Rosanna Scotto is just awesome at what she does, the way she talks to her guests, and the viewers, almost feels like we are at her home or something haha. Real class act for them both. Greg Kelly was awesome, any hints on where he's headed next?

Shirleen Allicot is a very fun anchor. She is a fine replacement for Lori too, I think Shirleen simply doesn't care and just lets her personality shine throughout the morning broadcasts what are everyone's thoughts on Shirleen Allicot's delivery compared to Lori Stokes?

I totally agree! WABC failed to let Lori just be herself and as a result, i'm sure she just got tired of it. 17 years is a long time!

Lori and her agent had a pretty good Idea what WABC was up to during the LAST contract negation

WABC intended to keep Lori on Ice...and OUT of possible circulation outside of 'The company".

WABC got cheap (not by design) when the money dried up.

Lori is a black woman that hits every positive mark a station would want.

Lori's agent probably hoped that ABC would " just figure out" her real worth (they knew) and come around before her(the) next contract "out".

But noooooooo...

ABC decided to play hard ball when they were stuck not being able to offer much more money...and ZERO advancement (don't let the black woman think she has power...like Oprah had)...so ABC was just dead in the water making silly promises they could never actually put it writing.

Sure Lori would love to get a shot REAL at hosting the view...put it in writing ABC....they won't....they can't.

Why???

Because ABC would have to ADMIT that Lori is a hot item...and she will continue to be a hot item for years to come.

FOX was in position to make a much better deal.

Lori and her agent had a pretty good Idea what WABC was up to during the LAST contract negation

WABC intended to keep Lori on Ice...and OUT of possible circulation outside of 'The company".

WABC got cheap (not by design) when the money dried up.

Lori is a black woman that hits every positive mark a station would want.

Lori's agent probably hoped that ABC would " just figure out" her real worth (they knew) and come around before her(the) next contract "out".

But noooooooo...

ABC decided to play hard ball when they were stuck not being able to offer much more money...and ZERO advancement (don't let the black woman think she has power...like Oprah had)...so ABC was just dead in the water making silly promises they could never actually put it writing.

Sure Lori would love to get a shot REAL at hosting the view...put it in writing ABC....they won't....they can't.

Why???

Because ABC would have to ADMIT that Lori is a hot item...and she will continue to be a hot item for years to come.

FOX was in position to make a much better deal.

You have to remember Lori worked for WABC, not the parent company ABC. They were negotiating with WABC. Plus "The View" is an ABC Network Show, not an WABC local show. If you wanted her to host "The View", she would have to negotiate with ABC, not WABC.

You have to remember Lori worked for WABC, not the parent company ABC. They were negotiating with WABC. Plus "The View" is an ABC Network Show, not an WABC local show. If you wanted her to host "The View", she would have to negotiate with ABC, not WABC.

Thanks for the info....

ABC News, WABC and a few other divisions had hand in the Stokes negotiations.

It was NOT limited to WABC...all doors are considered "open" at that level of contract talk.

"Fluid across all divisions of the company"... is the term used.

Ch-7 had plenty of time before Lori hit her "out". This has been on the radar for a long time.

ABC didn't have any cards to play, and her agent knew it.

ABC is in a money freeze right now and if they would have made an exception for Lori then her agent (who reps others at WABC) would have smelled blood in the ABC water.

Who is she repped by? Leibner?

Archived