Lori Stokes leaves WABC.

CircleSeven

I wonder if Michelle, Sandra, or Lauren wanted the schedule.

It's a grind like no other in the business - good exposure - but a grind.

But I guess Michelle's post implies she would have been fine with it. And a good fit in my book if she got it. Though some of the demos might not connect with her in the same way, which might have come out in the testing.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shirleen was being groomed for this position since she was hired 2 years ago. I didn't expect Lori to leave so soon, but the writings were on the wall. You don't leave WPVI as an evening anchor > anchor noon broadcast on WABC.

I feel for Michelle and Sandra, but Shirleen is the cheaper alternative. Michelle and Sandra would have both commanded a higher salary.

Now the question is where does Lori end up next???

Thats what everyone is wondering...

As for Shirleen getting the gig, meh. Thats my thoughts haha. I honestly thought Michelle deserved it more, but then again maybe she likes her duties as they are. Some talent may like what they do and not necessarily want to anchor. Morning broadcasts are no easy task, they are perhaps the most difficult of them all to do because of the sheer workload involved, and also getting up in the morning at an excruciatingly early time and not to mention the formatting which is drastically different than the rest of the shows. And the frequent cut ins during GMA and etc, not an easy show to do and yet its not as high paying as the easier broadcasts, so Shirleen has her work cut out for her!

I think you're right. I think Lori might have been offered a new contract perhaps for a much lower salary and perhaps that's why she left likely for WNYW to co-host GDNY. I suspect WABC expected Lori to leave after offering her a new contract for much less money and brought in Shirleen at noon to groom her for the job. I figured that she would either replace Diana at 5 or Lori on mornings. If they weren't planning on replacing Lori they likely would have had Diana or Liz replace Lori at noon two years ago. My guess is Shirleen will co-anchor both mornings and at noon for a very short period of time to get viewers acquainted to Shirleen. After that my guess is that either Diana or Liz will take over for Shirleen at noon. Shirleen anchoring mornings and at noon would be a very difficult schedule for her. QUOTE="NYPhillynews, post: 190293, member: 2414"]Shirleen was being groomed for this position since she was hired 2 years ago. I didn't expect Lori to leave so soon, but the writings were on the wall. You don't leave WPVI as an evening anchor > anchor noon broadcast on WABC.

I feel for Michelle and Sandra, but Shirleen is the cheaper alternative. Michelle and Sandra would have both commanded a higher salary.

As for Lori my guess is that she will end up at WNYW co-hosting GDNY.

Shirleen was being groomed for this position since she was hired 2 years ago. I didn't expect Lori to leave so soon, but the writings were on the wall. You don't leave WPVI as an evening anchor > anchor noon broadcast on WABC.

Perhaps you're right. I think if Michele was going to get the gig that she would have replaced Lori on noon in 2015 and not Shirleen. I do think Michelle might be disappointed that she didn't get the gig tho it also seems like she's okay with not getting the gig as well. Shirleen I don't see doing both mornings and noon for long. That kind of schedule in addition to being a parent can't be easy. Now I wonder who will take over for Diana when she steps down from the 5pm show. What's considered more prestigious mornings or 5pm?

Thats what everyone is wondering...

As for Shirleen getting the gig, meh. Thats my thoughts haha. I honestly thought Michelle deserved it more, but then again maybe she likes her duties as they are. Some talent may like what they do and not necessarily want to anchor. Morning broadcasts are no easy task, they are perhaps the most difficult of them all to do because of the sheer workload involved, and also getting up in the morning at an excruciatingly early time and not to mention the formatting which is drastically different than the rest of the shows. And the frequent cut ins during GMA and etc, not an easy show to do and yet its not as high paying as the easier broadcasts, so Shirleen has her work cut out for her!

I still find it hard to believe that Lori is going to anchor Good Day. I don't see her and Rosanna having great chemistry I still think (and hope) she'll be on evenings. If not 5 and 10 then maybe bring back the news at 6.. anchor with Ernie and then at 10 with Steve.

The evening broadcasts are more prestigious shows than the morning shows. Most stations are known by their "flagship" team which often is the evening broadcast teams such as the ones that anchor at 6pm, 11pm. I guess the broadcasts that leads up to it would be the 5pm broadcast. The Noon Broadcasts are often "rookie" shows where they use new talent to kinda get their feet wet before moving them on to more prestigious shows like the evening or morning.

When did the morning newscasts become prestigious? I remember in the early 90s the weekend evening broadcasts had more prestige then the morning newscast. QUOTE="Vlad, post: 190332, member: 162"]The evening broadcasts are more prestigious shows than the morning shows. Most stations are known by their "flagship" team which often is the evening broadcast teams such as the ones that anchor at 6pm, 11pm. I guess the broadcasts that leads up to it would be the 5pm broadcast. The Noon Broadcasts are often "rookie" shows where they use new talent to kinda get their feet wet before moving them on to more prestigious shows like the evening or morning.

In some markets the morning newscasts get higher ratings than the evening broadcasts. But the evening teams are considered the "face of the station" so to speak.

Morning news is a grind. In at 3am out at 1pm if doing the noon news.

Evenings come in around 3pm you get dinner breaks, can leave the station, come back for the 10 or 11pm.

The evening is the far better newscast to do. With that said for years it seemed like Rosanna was considered to have more prestige then Dari at WNYW. At WCBS Dana seems like she's almost if not on par with Maurice and Kristine as the lead anchors there. At WABC it seems like Bill and Diana are the lead anchors. In the 90s I think Bill and Roz were the lead anchors. I remember during coverage of the pope in NYC Bill Beutel and Roz anchored from the studio and Diana and Greg Hurst reported in the field. Bill will

pretty much the anchor and Diana was the co-anchor at 11. At WNBC when Michele Marsh co anchored at 6 she often co-anchored breaking news with Chuck. Sue was good in a lot of ways tho she wasn't the best with regards to breaking news.

In some markets the morning newscasts get higher ratings than the evening broadcasts. But the evening teams are considered the "face of the station" so to speak.

Morning news is a grind. In at 3am out at 1pm if doing the noon news.

Evenings come in around 3pm you get dinner breaks, can leave the station, come back for the 10 or 11pm.

Now I wonder who will take over for Diana when she steps down from the 5pm show. What's considered more prestigious mornings or 5pm?

I imagine if Disney is still running a tight budget they will reshuffle the current anchors.

EITHER

5&11: Bill and Sade

4&6: David and Liz

Mornings&Noon: Ken and Shirleen

OR

4,6,&11: Bill and Sade

Noon&5: David and Liz

Mornings: Ken and Shirleen

The second lineup is a lot more likely then the prior lineup due to WABC not likely wanting to have Ken and Shirleen do both mornings and evenings. I can imagine Bill might retire in a few years as well. I wonder who might take over for him when that happens.

Perhaps Lori really is going to evenings and WNYW doesn't want Dari to know that they plan to can her soon. It's possible.

I still find it hard to believe that Lori is going to anchor Good Day. I don't see her and Rosanna having great chemistry I still think (and hope) she'll be on evenings. If not 5 and 10 then maybe bring back the news at 6.. anchor with Ernie and then at 10 with Steve.

When Bill Ritter retires (a few years from now), I see Joe Torres getting the job. Similar to Bill, Joe has built a strong reputation in New York, even on weekends.

I imagine if Disney is still running a tight budget they will reshuffle the current anchors.

EITHER

5&11: Bill and Sade

4&6: David and Liz

Mornings&Noon: Ken and Shirleen

OR

4,6,&11: Bill and Sade

Noon&5: David and Liz

Mornings: Ken and Shirleen

You're missing Diana Williams and I guarantee you they will not get rid of Diana. They're also not gonna separate Diana & Sade or Bill & Liz. Both teams are extremely successful. WABC is better off not making any changes, and I don't think major changes are coming. And keep in mind, any change in anchors at WABC is a major change. They don't do it often and that's why they're number one. They know that and will not mess with it.

When Bill eventually retires, I see something along these lines:

Noon: Diana/Liz & David

4pm: Liz & David

5pm: Diana & Sade

6pm: Liz & David

11pm: Sade & Joe

On Diana, when she eventually retires (which is still far off but I also don't see her working until she's 70), I think we'll see something along the lines of:

Noon: Liz & David

5pm: Sade & Joe

...just my two cents

Bill is 67 and Diana is 59. My guess is Bill will retire when he's 70 in about three years from now. Diana I think retires in maybe another 5-6 years. When Bill retires I doubt Joe would only do the 11 pm newscast. Perhaps he would do 6 and 11 or someone else will replace Bill. David Ushery from WNBC would be a good replacement tho I don't see that happening. When Diana retires I doubt Liz will do the noon, 4pm and 6pm newscasts. Perhaps if Liz does noon someone else will do the 6pm newscast. I'd like to see say Sandra Bookman at 6 tho not sure that would happen. How long do you all think Shirleen will do both mornings and noon for?

When Bill Ritter retires (a few years from now), I see Joe Torres getting the job. Similar to Bill, Joe has built a strong reputation in New York, even on weekends.

You're missing Diana Williams and I guarantee you they will not get rid of Diana. They're also not gonna separate Diana & Sade or Bill & Liz. Both teams are extremely successful. WABC is better off not making any changes, and I don't think major changes are coming. And keep in mind, any change in anchors at WABC is a major change. They don't do it often and that's why they're number one. They know that and will not mess with it.

When Bill eventually retires, I see something along these lines:

Noon: Diana/Liz & David

5pm: Diana & Sade

On Diana, when she eventually retires (which is still far off but I also don't see her working until she's 70), I think we'll see something along the lines of:

Noon: Liz & David

5pm: Sade & Joe

...just my two cents

Perhaps Lori really is going to evenings and WNYW doesn't want Dari to know that they plan to can her soon. It's possible.

I agree cause when she signed off didn't she i will miss saying good morning?

Yes she did. Perhaps either Ernie is retiring or more then likely it would be Dari getting canned from Lori or Lori at the very least co-anchoring at 6 and 10. They might not want Dari to know yet. She was a Roger Alies person if I remember correctly and now I guess it would be okay to get rid of Dari. She's not a draw. Unless Dari is moved to Fox News Channel. They are going to have an opening on Americas News HQ I think from 9-11 come the end of Oct when Lori is expected to join WNYW and Shannon Beam gets the new 11pm newscast. Maybe Dari will take Shannons spot in the mornings. Lori and Rosanna or Lori and Greg I just simply don't see working. It didn't work the last time they were split up.

I agree cause when she signed off didn't she i will miss saying good morning?

Well this might be a long shot but since Haris Faulkner will have a sole weekday show including Outnumbered, she will not be able to do the Sunday News HQ show. Maybe that's the position Dari will get or even Lori (highly doubt). If Dari leaves, then Lori can get the 5 and 9. Granted, all this is speculation.

Apparently Lori starts Monday... MAYBE just maybe.. Greg is going back to FNC? If true this will be an epic fail. Lori and Rosanna are both great.. but this won't work.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/9/27/breaking-well-damn-would-you-look-at-that

This change-up will blow up big once again for WNYW. Believe that. They did this before, and we knew what happened then.

But hey, at least Scott Jones will be black-out shitfaced come Monday. ...That's something of a happy ending...

This is an absolute disaster for WNYW. There must have been more going on behind the scenes with Greg because you don't just dump the key part of your only successful show.

Lori can expect to receive hate from loyal GDNY viewers for as long as she's on that show. However, this doesn't end with Lori being booted off the show after a year (a la Dave Price.) This ends with Rosanna being dumped or leaving on her own accord. This will be Lori's show for years to come.

Archived