ATLNewsHawk

Say what you will about WGCL, but I fully believe Steve Doerr just made this station 1000x better. CBS46 debuted a new graphics package yesterday with the brand: Local. Real. Everywhere. The pictures are posted in chronological order of the newscast.

Slide01.jpg.1a2155c0738a502f5eb40997dfe3b35a.jpg

Bumper In

Slide02.jpg.cc3fa3e959e4266adcc0f24f6c76edfc.jpg

Headlines 1

Slide03.jpg.1fe7d5124bb205950b24dc3196ea652e.jpg

Headline 2

Slide04.jpg.39a3a0f611d3a17942dca3bb6949a9ba.jpg

Open goes from Local -> Real -> Everywhere -> CBS46 Logo

Slide05.jpg.05e144c8684edc913ed0309c96b9adff.jpg

Open goes from Local -> Real -> Everywhere -> CBS46 Logo

Slide06.jpg.89e8c64c28dbea4fb5afcf18a551acee.jpg

Open goes from Local -> Real -> Everywhere -> CBS46 LogoSlide07.jpg.808d6c701649626093112381f4a4fc19.jpg

Open goes from Local -> Real -> Everywhere -> CBS46 LogoSlide08.jpg.360371bdc6dadd4c2983d92936e1f1c5.jpg

Anchor L3s, note neither Vince or Meghan are the main anchors, Amanada Davis is currently a morning anchor and the other spot is vacant after Bobby Kaple's departure

Slide09.jpg.e9ba8c490e92c5fdd9c98783bb7ef7d6.jpg

Cross-shot with the updated desk graphics

Slide10.jpg.7194a39622a8e8f29dc6d19bb6c0479c.jpg

New weather graphic u3s can be seen

More below...

Slide11.jpg.f04be6ba29b75eae12d318f479272e7b.jpg

Forecast bumper run in between the desk shot and the green screen image

Slide12.jpg.cb18f51589f902fbad93e6501d704b9f.jpg

Meteorologist L3

Slide13.jpg.e0265ccf0ebd86bc4d32ec7d823647d0.jpg

Traffic bumper

Slide14.jpg.8c389e7a76cb5f8b98187a1c620cd32a.jpg

Traffic

Slide15.jpg.61eb96efc048c6532cc22fd11ebc1667.jpg

New details bumper

Slide16.jpg.cd5412b124e39f1daaefdb6742eaebdc.jpg

Reporter L3

Slide17.jpg.92803569393448208adad7f628f70d64.jpg

Statement graphic

Slide18.jpg.a9610d76b1e2c74e3200039fe0ada4c5.jpg

Double box

Slide19.jpg.c9068de452547fb5e16063aba69747af.jpg

Standard story L3

Slide20.jpg.1a9574f84c8a684f8dbde297e3427c5a.jpg

Coming up standard

More below...

I like the slogan, it's simple and easy to remember. That is one thing WGCL has struggled with, finding a slogan and sticking with it. Reminds of "first, fair, everywhere" that Doerr used at WOIO. Now all Doerr needs to do is fire Ben Swann and the station will get on the right track.

Not too sure I'm a fan of the slogan. Sounds pretty cheesy. "Real"? What's that supposed to mean? That they're real people? A real station? That they provide "real" news?

The weather U3s are way too big.

A black bug is an interesting idea. Not too sure if I've ever seen that before. I like how the time/temp stays on during weather while the logo itself vanishes. That's a neat idea.

Not too sure I'm a fan of the slogan. Sounds pretty cheesy. "Real"? What's that supposed to mean? That they're real people? A real station? That they provide "real" news?

A black bug is an interesting idea. Not too sure if I've ever seen that before. I like how the time/temp stays on during weather while the logo itself vanishes. That's a neat idea.

Agree on the weather U3s. It is far better from what they had when the used Weather Central, though.

"Real" feels like a knee-jerk reaction to Trump's claims about fake news.

I like the slogan, it's simple and easy to remember. That is one thing WGCL has struggled with, finding a slogan and sticking with it. Reminds of "first, fair, everywhere" that Doerr used at WOIO. Now all Doerr needs to do is fire Ben Swann and the station will get on the right track.

I'm no fan of Ben, but I feel Meredith will keep him until his contract cycle is up. However, it would behoove CBS46 management to snatch up John Bachman from Cox combo in Jacksonville who worked at WSB-TV. If management can stick with a stable team, and a brand it time for them to pass 11Alive.

I'm just seeing this for the first time this morning and this is easily the best graphical package out of any of the Atlanta stations imo. I would be even happier if WGCL can manage to push WXIA to last place and make a solid push for #3. I still don't watch this station on a daily basis, but when I do I feel like they put out a great product than they used to. The "Real" part of the slogan kinda threw me off for a moment, but then I thought about Trump...enough said. I'm cautiously optimistic that these changes will stick because I really do want to see this station succeed.

EDIT: I also like how they're making an attempt to do primetime news at 9pm on their sister station. It'll be interesting to see how it fares out.

Makes the slogan unique and trademarkable for Meredith.

Did Bill Applegate and Doerr trademark "Honest. Fair. Everywhere." back in the day?

"Real" feels like a knee-jerk reaction to Trump's claims about fake news.

Doerr wouldn't tick off Ben Swann (given his obvious baggage) like that. Or would he?

So let's be clear about one thing: New graphics are not the total panacea for a ratings renaissance.

But paired with good content, strong talent, and a cohesive brand, it definitely helps.

I do see signs that things are coming together--tag-teaming Gurvir and Amanda sort of reminds me when KYW poached Larry Mendte from WCAU and 3 began to click on all cylinders (before that became a hot mess of course!) If they could get a Cameron Harper-type personality (knowing Cameron will probably never return to TV news proper after going the agent route) for the evening it would help them a ton.

The use of Real in the slogan not only makes it unique at the local level, it also ties into the CBS News brand of (More) Real News. It's almost certain that was not an accident.

I doubt they catch up with WAGA and WSB--but if 11Allive keeps shooting itself in the foot, even surpassing them would be a huge victory for WGCL.

(Side note: I'm legit shocked there aren't more Tegna stations trying to adopt the Next format from KUSA--not because it's the most watchable of the experimental formats (and it is), but because it's also the most conversational and has the nicest pace--almost the perfect pace for who they're trying to reach. You of course need a good anchor/personality fronting it to make it work, but I'd like to believe most Tegna stations still have that. WVEC's one-off 11PM experiment a few weeks back was the closest I saw to a Next-level try.)

I'm no fan of Ben, but I feel Meredith will keep him until his contract cycle is up. However, it would behoove CBS46 management to snatch up John Bachman from Cox combo in Jacksonville who worked at WSB-TV. If management can stick with a stable team, and a brand it time for them to pass 11Alive.

Do you know when his contract expires?

• 1 month later...

Well something is working. The big news out of Atlanta this November book is WGCL CBS46 beating WXIA in nearly all time periods, and WAGA in some others. WXIA is now the last place station in the market. Major market shift going on there. More to come on that in the coming days...

Archived