Kudos to WABC for breaking coverage of steam pipe explosion.

NYNews

But wow this is some serious business, that is extremely hot and dangerous, it seems like its gonna be difficult to get this under control, simply because of that hot and dangerous Steam, unless they have some sort of master shutoff control. Well, there were no confirmed deaths at this point, but it is quite serious.

For WCBS, i guess this was the first real test of how Chris/Kristine could handle breaking news. I was really hoping they keep Jim/Dana on when they came on at 7pm when i saw Chirs/Kristine i changed the channel. They used video from other stations, but they didn't give credit to the stations they got the video from, usually we would see "courtesy of". WABC and WNBC both outperformed WCBS. Quite a difference from what we saw from them one year ago with the bloackout coverage. Tsk tsk.

Tonight's ABC World News was available (as always) on 8.3 or 164 for Time Warner customers at 8:30pm. Contrary to Harry Houdini I believe FOX's coverage was poor they got to the scene late and as a result were forced to remain farther away from the scene. Props to the ENG op who used a good lens to make it appear they were closer than they actually were, also note the mic cube being used by some reporters, it was the FOX News/WNYW cube (similar to KCBS/KCAL), so that the footage could easily be transfered to FNC and affiliates, as well as look more presentable in NNS. WNBC had a much better chopper position and their camera looked much better (I'm not sure if WABC Chopper 7 uses an HD camera, but it didn't look as good as the HD). It appeared that WCBS did not have a crew with ENG on the scene because the only shots I saw when I flipped over was the skyline. WPIX's efforts were hampered by the fact that their studios were evacuated, so their capabilities were limited and it likely better, from a logistical and appearance stance, that they did just a live hit and then resumed programming so that they could concentrate on working contingency plans for the 10. I'm not sure if WABC was in the area, but Stacey was live via cell phone first then Jeff got there, Jeff's ENG was up first then Stacey's and brought the first images from the ground. WABC also broke the story and it came over the wires via Reuters, who cited "ABC-TV" as their source for the transponder fire. WABC was also hurt by the breaking news mode they went into because they had less b-roll than the others and less running and mud shots than the others, but that was minimal compared the great on the scene coverage they provided tonight. WPIX had great running and great tow truck in the hole shots, since they are right next door.

Guest localcelebrity2u

WCBS really blew it this time around. I was expectin something better. They are usually great with Breaking News coverage. But they were on the scene late. The chopper wasn't up and they were using a skyline shot for the first hour of the coverage. I wonder if the weather had something to do with the coverage.

Did anyone else find it a bit demonstrative that Brendan Keefe reported tonight using a face mask to inhale? He was reporting on the transportation situation...if the air was so deadly, why not just report from inside Grand Central?

I was able to see Fox 5 (WNYW) 10PM Newscast with Ernie & Rosanna. I thought they did a good job, Ernie & Rosanna were good, so were the reporters. Lots of reports. It was done very well.

Of all the stations, SkyFox-HD was the first over the scene, followed by NewsCopter7, Chopper4, then Chopper 2 was last overhead.

I heard Bill Ritter on channel 7 indicating that the chopper was not originally flying because of the weather. He complimented them on a great job getting the chopper up and over the scene quickly. I suppose it was a scramble for everyone.

I thought it was awful coverage by the national networks. They won't interrupt their political garbage for no reason, especially when it comes to a big event in NYC...oh, well. I saw they all had coverage, so I won't say it was nill, but it wasn't great.

WCBS really blew it this time around. I was expectin something better. They are usually great with Breaking News coverage. But they were on the scene late. The chopper wasn't up and they were using a skyline shot for the first hour of the coverage. I wonder if the weather had something to do with the coverage.

Yet they claim to have the "Most Trusted News Team". I really hope that WCBS realizes that having the "A" anchor team they have, they are in deep shit. I don't want to imagine how Kristine got all duped and misread everything at the prompter, like she always do.

Of all the stations, SkyFox-HD was the first over the scene, followed by NewsCopter7, Chopper4, then Chopper 2 was last overhead.

I heard Bill Ritter on channel 7 indicating that the chopper was not originally flying because of the weather. He complimented them on a great job getting the chopper up and over the scene quickly. I suppose it was a scramble for everyone.

I thought it was awful coverage by the national networks. They won't interrupt their political garbage for no reason, especially when it comes to a big event in NYC...oh, well. I saw they all had coverage, so I won't say it was nill, but it wasn't great.

ABC World News did the story during the A block using footage that appeared to be Jeff's remote. FNC CNN and MSNBC also did some coverage, but not wall to wall. To be honest it is a local story, anyone outside the NY area doesn't really care that the subways are disrupted, the same way we wouldn't expect to see wall to wall on cable networks if the same happened in LA or Chicago, a small report to keep us updated is all we need. Although the images were eye catching, there was other news of the day.

I watched some of the coverage of the event on WABC's website and Jeff Rosen Stacey Sager did fanastic. I also thought Bill Rittter did very well. The only weak link to the coverage was Sade Baderinwa, I thought she wasn't very good that night. (I do know she anchored not reported).

I watched some of the coverage of the event on WABC's website and Jeff Rosen Stacey Sager did fanastic. I also thought Bill Rittter did very well. The only weak link to the coverage was Sade Baderinwa, I thought she wasn't very good that night. (I do know she anchored not reported).

Yeah I really liked Stacey Sager's performance a lot, she did so wonderful.

Fox5's coverage was, as usual, misguided. Their on-screen crawl kept saying the explosion was at Lexington and 43 Street, when it was 41 Street (and those 2 blocks uptown are a big difference, because of Grand Central Station).

And there's something about Rick Folbaum's voice that is so fake - he's like a radio voice from the 1930s....

Archived