WNYT getting a new set

Jared DiCarlo

At the end of their morning newscast today, WNYT announced that, after nearly 23 years, they are finally getting a new set. Starting tomorrow at 6 a.m., they will be broadcasting from a temporary set for a little while.

Personally, I’m going to miss the old set, but I’m excited to see what the new one looks like.

At the end of their morning newscast today, WNYT announced that, after nearly 23 years, they are finally getting a new set. Starting tomorrow at 6 a.m., they will be broadcasting from a temporary set for a little while.

Personally, I’m going to miss the old set, but I’m excited to see what the new one looks like.

And another hallmark of my childhood gone...

Personally I feel that it was time for a big change at Channel 13. I believe it all started when they hired Jerry Gretzinger to anchor the upstart 4:00 news, then coupled with Phil Bayly’s retirement, I felt the constant shake-ups would signal such a change.

I hope they keep the same logo they’ve had for those 23 years also, as well as Ed Hopkins, though Ed’s voice has kind of been degrading lately (this KYTV open from 2014 proves it a bit, but Ed sounds fine in some parts).

And I also hope they don’t fall victim to being the third Hubbard Station to use “This Is The Place.” I’m gonna stop watching them if they do.

So WNYT seemingly has joined the "take a picture of our old backdrop for our temp set" brigade judging from their 6:00 AM newscast this morning. They're doing all they can to show as little of it as possible though.

If memory serves me right, they did similar when they moved to the remnants of the old morning/noon set near the interview set for a weekend right before they went HD. I wonder if they are doing the same once again.

[ATTACH=full]5584[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5585[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5586[/ATTACH] This morning at 6 they were still on their normal/old set.

Tonight at 6 they were on the temp set.

I'm glad they're getting a new set, but they've should've gotten a better background for a temporary set. I mean, a 90s newsroom? Really?!

No wonder why its taken them 23 years to get a new one.

This temp set is actually a throwback. It is the old 1995-2004 morning/noon set that has been under blinds between the interview area and "Let's Eat" kitchen. Proof of this in its natural habitat is below, as is Paul Caiano impersonating Bob Kovachick for Halloween 2001.

As much as this is a cool, often forgotten, throwback as a parting shot to an era, it's going to be a tight squeeze come Monday. That set was built for only two people and if my memories of the morning transition of 2003 are right even then it can be a little tight. They made this work 22.5 years ago when the now-outgoing set was being built and they moved everything to the old morning/noon set, surely they'll do it again.

I'm glad they're getting a new set, but they've should've gotten a better background for a temporary set. I mean, a 90s newsroom? Really?!

No wonder why its taken them 23 years to get a new one.

I need a bathroom remodel...it's been about 30 years.

Just did the kitchen in '13...but that was 35 years too late.

Toss one of those old time sets into my living room (like the KUSI) and it would rock my orange and green shag carpet.

So when all of you bitch about "old sets"...just take a look at Grandama's house and tell us all about "modern" furnishings.

Now give me a lazyboy on that KUSI (Old Spice) set and a glass of JW-Blue...and I'm good.

I need a bathroom remodel...it's been about 30 years.

Just did the kitchen in '13...but that was 35 years too late.

Toss one of those old time sets into my living room (like the KUSI) and it would rock my orange and green shag carpet.

So when all of you bitch about "old sets"...just take a look at Grandama's house and tell us all about "modern" furnishings.

Now give me a lazyboy on that KUSI (Old Spice) set and a glass of JW-Blue...and I'm good.

Unfair comparison. Now if you didn't update your furniture in 35 years, that's a fair comparison.

[MEDIA=twitter]973223030469152768[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]973233974838546432[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=instagram]BgPC0MfFzEw[/MEDIA]

The news set the Capital Region loved, or loved to hate, is no more. They work quick. At the same time, proof of how tight the temporary set with the "lost" background is.

[MEDIA=twitter]973141883819122688[/MEDIA]

From the looks of their Instagram feed, it looks like they're going to be sharing a LOT of pictures of the #newset. First, a time lapse of a legend's demise:

[MEDIA=instagram]BgRJro5l8zG[/MEDIA]

It looks like this set might be full of monitors a la KSTP and KOB. Which would put them on par with WRGB and WTEN.

[MEDIA=instagram]BgRd3cMluv1[/MEDIA]

More set clips were posted - caught a screen grab of their logo on the new set. It appears they’ve removed the gold line on the bottom here, and it looks like new graphics might be on the rise...[ATTACH=full]5618[/ATTACH]

It looks like they're going to go with a skyline background at the main desk for the first time since 1991-92.

[MEDIA=instagram]BgW0VS3FEd8[/MEDIA]

That yellow line doesn't look so yellow from a distance.

[MEDIA=instagram]BgZNQu_FxRf[/MEDIA]

Just saw their 5:30 news today and a promo featuring the set build time-lapse aired, with text saying “COMING THIS APRIL”.

So this’ll mean the set and (maybe) new look probably won’t go live until maybe early April at the earliest. That’ll make it almost roughly 6 years using the same graphics and “Keynote.” Channel 13 has managed to have graphics longevity, so I might not be surprised if they keep the same graphics or (sadly) butcher them up like they did in 2002 to their ‘97 ones.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived