Weather Channel sold to Entertainment Studios

atlnews2

I don't know a whole lot about Byron Allen (other than his studio producing shows such as America's Court with Judge Ross and Couples Court) but if he is smart, TWC might be back to where it was when Landmark owned TWC

I don't know a whole lot about Byron Allen (other than his studio producing shows such as America's Court with Judge Ross and Couples Court) but if he is smart, TWC might be back to where it was when Landmark owned TWC

How can they when IBM owns the digital infrastructure?

How can they when IBM owns the digital infrastructure?

That'll be the biggest question moving forward because without the digital arm, The Weather Channel as a cable network may shut down and IBM could launch a digitalized version of The Weather Channel

If anything, you will more likely see shows like Highway Through Hell and Storm Chasers get pushed to syndication rather than a return to the good ole days of The Weather Channel where it just did the weather and nothing else.

If anything, you will more likely see shows like Highway Through Hell and Storm Chasers get pushed to syndication rather than a return to the good ole days of The Weather Channel where it just did the weather and nothing else.

Might as well get rid of Weather Center Live, Weather Underground, AMHQ and Weekend Recharge if that's the case

Everything is for sale at the right price.

But IBM isn't giving any of that up. Period. Full stop.

What ought to worry Byron is that IBM has all the power to nullify their brand licensing agreement - including the Weather Channel name - and turn his $300M purchase into a total joke.

Well it sounds like the consortium basically robbed the linear channel of most of its value. Reminds me of how the rights to the Playtex trademark got all fucked up thanks to that company being stripped for parts.

Back to NBC here... I wouldn’t be too opposed to seeing meteorologists from their East Coast O&Os besides WNBC and some of their larger affiliates (i.e. WTHR, WCNC, WCMH, WLWT, WFLA, etc.) appear on their platforms and sub on Today for Al or Dylan, where a TWC meteorologist has.

Back to NBC here... I wouldn’t be too opposed to seeing meteorologists from their East Coast O&Os besides WNBC and some of their larger affiliates (i.e. WTHR, WCNC, WCMH, WLWT, WFLA, etc.) appear on their platforms and sub on Today for Al or Dylan, where a TWC meteorologist has.

Is some of the former NBC Weather Plus meteorologists still at NBC? If they are I could see them make appearances on Nightly News and fill in for Al on the Today Show

Weather.com (the URL) is worth more than the TV network these days.

Will ES not be allowed to launch any kind of digital products for the new WXCH venture?

I find it hard to fathom they would not be allowed any kind of digital footprint.

???

Will ES not be allowed to launch any kind of digital products for the new WXCH venture?

I find it hard to fathom they would not be allowed any kind of digital footprint.

???

The question really is if Byron Allen wants to spend the money to build out a whole new infrastructure (and effectively, a whole new identity if rights to the Weather Channel name are pulled).

It could be a moot point as IBM may just allow the current arrangement to continue. But that's clearly a risk even Sinclair didn't think was worth taking.

???

They'll probably try to build out the We Love Weather site more.

The question really is if Byron Allen wants to spend the money to build out a whole new infrastructure (and effectively, a whole new identity if rights to the Weather Channel name are pulled).

It could be a moot point as IBM may just allow the current arrangement to continue. But that's clearly a risk even Sinclair didn't think was worth taking.

I wonder if the long-term deal for the channel to use the data generated by IBM also allows for the right to use The Weather Channel name.

I wonder if the long-term deal for the channel to use the data generated by IBM also allows for the right to use The Weather Channel name.

I'm pretty sure the "IBM Data" is the same data feed that local stations and cable networks that use WSI subscribe to.

Archived