Hurricane Michael: Coverage/Operations

GoldenShine9

The TSL/STL can be rebuilt and redeployed much quicker as you know.

They could probably build a short one on their roof. Or they could mount it on their roof and somehow change the degree of the one on their tower?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They could probably build a short one on their roof. Or they could mount it on their roof and somehow change the degree of the one on their tower?

I have seen engineers zip-tie a microwave dish onto a ladder after a disaster just to re-establish a TSL/STL.

The engineers and techs that get those links back up will have some real juicy stories to tell.

There are quite a few retired engineers who would just love to assist those guys if you could only get them to the affected areas and support them in rebuilding...

But there is no place to even house or feed them due to all the local destruction.

I wonder if WJHG went forward with their channel change on the 16th. They were scheduled to move frequencies...or as the TV stations like to put it...."plan to rescan"....

They can't make a switch, if the over-the-air signal has been down since the storm hit.

That’s false. It’s been back since the 11th.

They could have opted to go ahead and broadcast on the new frequency, since most of their viewers lost power and would need to rescan anyway. (That's what I would have done.)

Considering the circumstances, I would hope the FCC would have granted them an emergency waiver to hold off on the change.

I've never been a fan of "rescanning". There's no reason to do so unless your TV is a cheap piece of garbage that doesn't allow for manually entering in the frequency, or if it forgets the frequency if the station goes off the air, or becomes un-receivable.

Being a DX-er, I like to have my "semi-regular" presets already in place. If they add or take away a subchannel, it fixes itself. If a station changes, I program the new frequency, and when it's activated, it picks up the right PSIP, then I delete the old one.

Via antenna, I could still see their frequency test PSIP data and slate for the new frequency.

So they were lit on their new (even if it wasn’t broadcasting anything) and old frequency at the same time? I thought stations had to do a flash cut.

Interesting.....I never realized that WJHG moved their transmitter to WMBB's tower....

https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/wmbb-antenna-reception-information/1541487661

I wonder if when Hoak merged with Gray...Gray kept the tower in the sale of WMBB to Nexstar?

Both WMBB and WJHG started off digitally on UHF, but both moved back to their analog frequencies in digital.

WJHG eventually moved off "7" to "18", and will be "16" when they complete their frequency move.

WMBB must have provided a superior location to WJHG's tower...their tower is in Youngstown closer to Panama City, while WJHG's was near Fountain near the intersection of 231 and FL 20.

And having both transmitters close by made recovery from the storm much easier, I would imagine....

Here's a video of the final moments of WMBB before the storm knocked them off the air during Hurricane Michael

They have since returned to the airwaves but had to rely on support from sister stations to get them back up and running...

Jesus. The audio alone after the picture feed gets cut is harrowing.

That WMBB was able to transmit anything up to that point is almost miraculous.

Archived