Out & About

TexasTVNews

Folks, this has been a very difficult couple of days in the world of Local TV, we lost Rich Fisher on Friday, Jeff Jeffers on Sunday, and now a longtime Columbus meteorologist

is in the fight of his life. Yesterday, 10TV (WBNS/CBS) Chief Meteorologist Chris Bradley has been diagnosed with leukemia, and its already begun chemotherapy.

TVNT would like to send our prayers and get well wishes to Chris, and to his family, and to his colleagues at 10TV News.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170327/chris-bradley-wbns-meteorologist-diagnosed-with-leukemia

http://www.10tv.com/article/message-chris-bradley

• Like 1

Longtime KOTV meteorologist Dick Faurot is retiring this summer after four decades on television, 24 years at channel 6, and 18 years previously in Lafayette, LA. Lacey Swope from OKC sister station KWTV will take over.

Folks, this has been a very difficult couple of days in the world of Local TV, we lost Rich Fisher on Friday, Jeff Jeffers on Sunday, and now a longtime Columbus meteorologist

is in the fight of his life. Yesterday, 10TV (WBNS/CBS) Chief Meteorologist Chris Bradley has been diagnosed with leukemia, and its already begun chemotherapy.

TVNT would like to send our prayers and get well wishes to Chris, and to his family, and to his colleagues at 10TV News.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170327/chris-bradley-wbns-meteorologist-diagnosed-with-leukemia

http://www.10tv.com/article/message-chris-bradley

This is awful news. My prayers to Chris and his family.

• Like 1

WCAV is axing weekend news. it will simulcast news from WHSV in it's place. https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/3/26/gray-station-to-pull-the-plug-on-newscasts

Unbelievable. Dang, I'm surprised. Shocked but surprised.

I'm not too surprised. 29 is still a dominant #1, right?

In Wilmington, WWAY hasn't had Saturday newscasts for several years now, even with the addition of CBS.

I'm not too surprised. 29 is still a dominant #1, right?

In Wilmington, WWAY hasn't had Saturday newscasts for several years now, even with the addition of CBS.

I've been told on Facebook that that's not true and that WCAV will continue to produce news every weekend.

This is what WCAV told me: "Thanks so much for asking, because you can’t believe everything you read on the internet. We are doing news on CBS 19 from our Charlottesville studios this weekend just like every other weekend. We have the Final Four on Saturday, so don’t miss that, and then catch the news at 10 on WAHU Fox27 or 11 on CBS19. Thanks for asking!"

I got confused in word choice so they clarified it for me...

"I think there may be some confusion here in word choice. The point is that we do the news every weekend. In my previous message, I meant “every other” in the sense of “all prior weekends,” not “every other” as in “alternating.” So, we’ll have the news, just like normal, this weekend, and all weekends. Thanks!"

In other words, life goes on for WCAV and they're still doing their own on weekends. However, the only true tell way to know for sure is by watching WCAV this weekend at Newsplex.com

Rev. Ernest Angley is in trouble AGAIN for not paying his employees.

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2017/03/televangelist_ernest_angley_or.html#incart_river_mobileshort_home_pop

Makes me wonder how WBNX is staying afloat. Could the "volunteerism" bug be rampant there? Or are they the cash cow of the whole ministry, along with the gullible folks who write them a check once a month...

Or maybe they're waiting on that spectrum money. One things for sure, don't count on Tribune owning them at this rate. It may be Sinclair's bidding IF they get a hold of Tribune and/or WJW.

• Like 3

Rev. Ernest Angley is in trouble AGAIN for not paying his employees.

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2017/03/televangelist_ernest_angley_or.html#incart_river_mobileshort_home_pop

Makes me wonder how WBNX is staying afloat. Could the "volunteerism" bug be rampant there? Or are they the cash cow of the whole ministry, along with the gullible folks who write them a check once a month...

Or maybe they're waiting on that spectrum money. One things for sure, don't count on Tribune owning them at this rate. It may be Sinclair's bidding IF they get a hold of Tribune and/or WJW.

WBNX is actually moving from RF 30 to RF 17 (WKYC, which is currently on RF 17, is shifting to RF 19), so they're not likely to have its transmitter/frequency sold.

I think WBNX will survive the latest press for Angley. They must be profitable with the programs they're airing.

Speaking of Cleveland, other forums have mentioned that WEWS is replacing Cozi with Grit on 5.2 as WUAB is preparing to potentially (and reportedly) move to 19.2.

• Like 1

Ugh! It appears that the news expansion express just keeps on rolling.

From Lieberman's blog tonight (if this sticks), KTVU will be adding an (smh) 11pm, by around the May books. Shame.

That will not go over well in that newsroom. In terms of content, a live 11pm will be almost no different from the rerun of the 10pm. I don't really see much point.

• Like 2

That will not go over well in that newsroom. In terms of content, a live 11pm will be almost no different from the rerun of the 10pm. I don't really see much point.

THANK YOU!!!

Your content won't be any different from the previous broadcasts. Quantity over Quality will lose every time. The station is already clocking in at 64 hours on Channel 2 alone. That would be 66 1/2 hours once they add the 11pm. And add 10 hours a week that air on TV 36, that totals altogether 76 & 1/2 hours!!! That is insane! Something has to give with these crazy news expansions.

Just like I said about sister station WFLD's expansion of the 5pm and their upcoming 4am, its just a complete waste. #TooMuchNews

Follow up. Monday, April 17th will be the date. The 10pm repeat on 36 will air at 11:30pm.

• Like 2

WMUR anchor / political director Josh McElveen is leaving the station today. He will move out of TV news to become the VP of Communications at Dartmouth-Hitchcock. I think that Adam Sexton will take his place as 5:00 co-anchor and he could possibly be promoted to political director, which is arguably the biggest job at channel 9.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1319662618113731

Big news out of Baltimore tonight.

The Baltimore Sun states that longtime WJZ anchor Denise Koch, will step away from anchoring the 11pm broadcast on the final week of this month (that's the start of the May books). She will still anchor the 4:30pm & 6pm shows.

The station didn't announce a replacement.

Also, there's been a heavy slew of layoffs at the Univision stations.

Big news out of Baltimore tonight.

The Baltimore Sun states that longtime WJZ anchor Denise Koch, will step away from anchoring the 11pm broadcast on the final week of this month (that's the start of the May books). She will still anchor the 4:30pm & 6pm shows.

The station didn't announce a replacement.

Also, there's been a heavy slew of layoffs at the Univision stations.

Wow I wasn't expecting that. That being said she never seemed to take vacation days so it's well deserved. I wonder if they are going to go the route of single headed for a while like WBAL did after they let Marianne Banister go (still miss her) before handing it to Donna. I imagine it will likely go to Mary Bubala as she's been with the station a long time and reports for the late news. I don't see them hiring an unknown to do the flagship (would the 11 be considered it?) newscast as they brand themselves personality wise.

I remember when Sally Thorner left WJZ to retire and do the occasional corporate video, voice overs and travel my mom jokes why is it that she retires once the kids graduate college or head off? Her reasoning was that you work all these crazy hours but the minute they head off you quit. Wouldn't you want to travel as a family before the kids start their own lives?

• Like 4