At the FCC

CircleSeven

The Great Yuma Merger hasn't gone terribly smoothly.

With every English-language television station in town under common control, it's been a mess to try and get them on the same page in terms of facilities.

Problems have included overruns from CBS sports events on KSWT; transferring KSWT's master control from Texas and bringing over all the CBS receiving equipment; the NBC satellite equipment; and sun outages. Also, the transition of KYMA and KSWT news to high definition is another hurdle.

So where was KSWT being master controlled from? KDBC??

The Great Yuma Merger hasn't gone terribly smoothly.

With every English-language television station in town under common control, it's been a mess to try and get them on the same page in terms of facilities.

Problems have included overruns from CBS sports events on KSWT; transferring KSWT's master control from Texas and bringing over all the CBS receiving equipment; the NBC satellite equipment; and sun outages. Also, the transition of KYMA and KSWT news to high definition is another hurdle.

I wonder how much the satellite equipment costs?

Also I don't have access to the site.

I'm guessing it was one of the centralcasting-for-hire hubs in the DFW area.

I wonder how much the satellite equipment costs?

I'm not sure what the satellite equipment costs. But the NPG facilities don't look too spacious, so I bet the engineers there are experiencing major logistical nightmares. However, I don't see why they'd have to use an separate antenna to receive NBC...they're on AMC 18 just like sister net Telemundo (which has been carried by a KECY subchannel for years).

It's a metered paywall. Unfortunately the entire world has a paywall now, it seems.

However, I don't see why they'd have to use an separate antenna to receive NBC...they're on AMC 18 just like sister net Telemundo (which has been carried by a KECY subchannel for years).

The network may require certain facilities or the technical system is different. The networks have fairly proprietary equipment.

It's a metered paywall. Unfortunately the entire world has a paywall now, it seems.

The network may require certain facilities or the technical system is different. The networks have fairly proprietary equipment.

Some commenter of TVNewsCheck made a comment that the Justice Department will be watching this arrangement and brought up the Joplin Problem of the 70s. Could someone tell me what happened in the 70s other than Janis Joplin's death?

• 3 weeks later...

The sale of KTVH from Intermountain West (Beartooth Communications Company) to Gray Television has closed. Gray has introduced a modified station logo. Looks like the Beartooth theme may be dead.

KTVH---KBGF287.png

That logo is bad enough to make me consider a concept redesign for them. Is their news in HD or not?

That logo is bad enough to make me consider a concept redesign for them. Is their news in HD or not?

I highly doubt it. KBGF was only available in analog until last week. Until a couple of weeks ago, their weather graphics consisted of frozen radar screen captures.

I highly doubt it. KBGF was only available in analog until last week. Until a couple of weeks ago, their weather graphics consisted of frozen radar screen captures.

I checked rabbitears.info and fcc.gov, so far, no mention of KBGF-LD. If they had flash-cut to digital, the two sites would have told us by now.

I checked rabbitears.info and fcc.gov, so far, no mention of KBGF-LD. If they had flash-cut to digital, the two sites would have told us by now.

Take a tweet: "Over the air customers in Great Falls can now view KBGF in HD on channel 19. Please re-scan your HD TV sets." That was on October 27.

It is 15 kW and shows up in the FCC query as a NEW station on channel 19 with facility ID 198180.

Take a tweet: "Over the air customers in Great Falls can now view KBGF in HD on channel 19. Please re-scan your HD TV sets." That was on October 27.

It is 15 kW and shows up in the FCC query as a NEW station on channel 19 with facility ID 198180.

Here's the listing on rabbitears.info. It too lists KBGF as a NEW station, but it's supposed to use virtual channel 50.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=198180#station

Both sites have two records, one a pending application, the other saying it's operating under "Special Temporary Authority". What's that mean, and which one's right?

Also, KBGF HD hasn't been picked up yet by Charter Cable. It would usually be in the 500 range.

http://www.zap2it.com/rmp/tvgrid/tvgridprint?lineupid=USA-MT68818-X&tz=US/Mountain&time=0

I read an article from the Great Falls paper saying that:

#1. The station is using 50.19 as its PSIP. (Why!?!?)

#2. They got STA to sign on early because they feared they could not build the site out during the winter. In 2008 KTVH shut off its analog in November for this reason.

#3. Charter's redoing their lineup in November and going all-digital, and at that point they will add it to Charter.

In other news, today was day one for the Telemundo news expansion at 14 of its 17 stations. Fresno and Fort Myers are coming online early next year; WKAQ already has a newscast in this time slot.

The way the article was written makes me think NBC is running KVDA again.

We missed an approval of a station sale, of KUQI Corpus Christi. The debtor-in-possession High Maintenance Broadcasting has sold to Corpus 18, LLC. The sale is related to the debts, and Corpus 18 is comprised of the noteholders involved with High Maintenance and a related company, GH Broadcasting, which owned two low-power television stations. One carries MNTV and the other probably MundoFox.

You may recall that KUQI was the subject of a failed sale in 2012 under which it would have been combined with KIII in a shared services agreement. You may not know that their website, kuqitv.com, is, uh, one of the greatest websites in television history.

The most important stakeholders of Corpus 18 are Robert Behar (HERO Broadcasting; KBEH, KMOH-KEJR) and Prime Time Partners, which owns a series of MundoFox stations.

Wow, Fox really deserves better in Corpus Christi. I made websites with more content than that in my high school computer class.

Fox affiliates in markets much smaller than Corpus Christi have better websites than that. Just look at KYOU's website. They're in Market 200.

http://www.kyoutv.com/

Wow, Fox really deserves better in Corpus Christi. I made websites with more content than that in my high school computer class.

Fox affiliates in markets much smaller than Corpus Christi have better websites than that. Just look at KYOU's website. They're in Market 200.

http://www.kyoutv.com/

I think I made better websites in elementary school using Microsoft FrontPage (!).

To be fair I think High Maintenance (which was run by three women and some family trust) was really banking on that sale to a sidecar of London. When it fell through, the station just absolutely fell through the floor and declared bankruptcy.

The main technical challenge facing Corpus 18 is that the two LPTVs are broadcasting in analog and really need to be converted to digital. I don't think KUQI will be flipped to MundoFox unless Gannett or Cordillera make a move to steal the Fox affiliation for a digital subchannel, in which case that is a certain fate. On the management side, it is highly alarming that KUQI lacks a newscast (which is an obvious overture to make to KIII), a website or a social media presence.

I really don't know how they will fare with Fox, but if they aren't up to the network's standards, don't be surprised to see them bolt either to KDF (their former home, part of the Cordillera operation) or to some venture with KIII. The affiliation contract expires in 2016.

On the relationship between High Maintenance and GH, two of the three partners — Gillis and Hoffmann — owned 44% stakes in High Maintenance while Vanisha Mallory and the Gentile limited partnership each owned 6%.

The nation's "newest" full-power television station has run into a roadblock that has forced it off the air.

You might recall that PMCM's station in New York was renamed WJLP, or that it has been in a tussle with WFSB over who can use virtual channel 3. Last month the station signed on with the PSIP number of 3-10. But it's off the air now after the FCC ruled in favor of WFSB, which would require WJLP to use major channel number 33—which, according to them, causes many of their contracts to be null and void. On Monday the station appealed to the D.C. Circuit of the Court of Appeals, hoping to get back on air.

• 2 weeks later...

New M&A. This time we go back to Nebraska.

It appears that Pappas wants to acquire KFXL outright, for $300K.

As of now, Pappas operates KFXL under an LMA. But now its wants the station outright, and they're saying the station's coverage area doesn't overlap with its other properties out west.

As of late, Pappas has been selling the remaining of its stations. So I'm thinking, them buying KFXL might attract buyers for the whole NTV cluster. It's their only cash cow that's left in their portfolio.

As of now, Pappas operates KFXL under an LMA. But now its wants the station outright, and they're saying the station's coverage area doesn't overlap with its other properties out west.

As of late, Pappas has been selling the remaining of its stations. So I'm thinking, them buying KFXL might attract buyers for the whole NTV cluster. It's their only cash cow that's left in their portfolio.

The only way I see Pappas acquiring KFXL is making it a total satellite of NTV unless KLKN can somehow claim exclusive ABC rights in Lincoln. Otherwise, the FCC might classify Lincoln and Hastings and block the sale and force Pappas to keep the status quo if KFXL is keeping it's Fox affiliation on .1.

That's exactly what this is, a preparation for the sale of NTV. It should be no wonder that I've been talking about such a sale for years.

Newport Television was fined $35,000. You read that right, Newport. The FCC took issue with KTVX broadcasting a private telephone call—without telling the other party that it would be broadcast—during an investigative report in 2012, during its ownership of the station. It was also fined for not responding in a timely manner to FCC investigative requests.

Big question: How can the FCC fine Newport Television, when Newport has been defunct as of June 1 of last year when they sold its stations to Sinclair, Nexstar and Cox?

In Newport's case, their private equity firm Providence is very much alive and well, even though they have completely divested themselves of Newport's former assets. I think coughing up $35,000 is not a problem for them ;)

I would think that Nexstar would have been the responsible party, since they acquired the license of the station, and shouldn't the liability of the license transfer with change of ownership?

It would have to be the case if the former licensee no longer existed in any form...

We have a plethora of closings tonight. All were consummated on Monday (12/1).

First, the Gray acquisition of KMTF in Helena (sister to NBC station, KTVH) has been closed. IWCC is now down to just the Nevada properties that SInclair have the non-FCC licensed assets to.

Second, the Griffin acquisition of KSBI in Oklahoma City (to become the new sister of KWTV) has also been closed.

And the big one, (as posted on the Nexstar thread) the Nexstar's acquisition of Grant was completed. KGCW was acquired by a "failed station waiver", and KLJB is now owned by Marshall Broadcasting..

Well ICYMI, there were several FCC approvals yesterday. There was a reasoning behind this.

The FCC issued this statement yesterday, stating about making good on their promises to boost minority ownership.

The majority of the Gray Spinoffs, the three former Allbritton stations to HSH, the two ComCorp stations to Marshall, and the WEVV deal to Bayou City were among the deals that were greenlighted yesterday.

I believe the FCC's starting point in all of this, was their infamous letter they sent to Sinclair, almost one year to the day (12/6/13). I think that moment started to change the atmosphere in this M&A craze.