WLS-TV Music Updates...

ctmajka

Because of so much speculation that WLS-TV would switch to the Eyewitness News package, I have E-mailed the Creative Services Manager Thomas Hebel about this topic...Here is his reply:

"Dear Chris:

I have had conversations with Frank Gari regarding our music package. I

am not interested in using any of the music Frank has produced for our

sister stations. Over the years the other stations have kept moving

along with Frank's updates....we have not. This has been my decision

because I feel the updates don't sound anything like what we currently

use.

I will tell you that I am in discussions with Frank to update our

current theme from scratch. We do not want to loose the familiar melody.

Since we started using 2000, (and the original reel to reel tapes- ugh)

our newscasts have expanded and we are need of many more cuts than are

in the current package. Frank is well aware of my desire to maintain the

melody, so I don't think any of our viewers will be disappointed. Plus

it will be exclusive to us and our station's traditions.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us about this.

Tom Hebel

tom hebel

vice president

local programming & creative services

abc 7 chicago

312-750-7305

thomas.s.hebel@abc"

...Plus An Update he sent me a week ago:

"Hey Chris:

I am currently working on the new music with Frank. I don't have a firm timetable, but it will be before the end of the year. There will be many more cuts than we currently have. This will a package that only WLS will use so I am excited. Now we have to figure out what to call the new package.

Email me again in November and I will have a premiere date for you.

-Tom"

:)

I don't know about you guys, but I think that these new cuts will be just as good, if not better, than the cuts now. (If that is even possible)

What do you guys think?

If they only keep the melody.. id be fine with that.. hell from the looks of that email.. a complete re-scratch of the theme.. i think ill just have to go to Chicago when it comes alive. (living in CA, and only listening to bits and pieces of it sucks bigtime) I'm glad Mr. Hebel decided to stick with melody that Chicago viewers love to hear. I love it too.. even though i dont live in Chicago. Heres to a wonderful update of NS2k+! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Its good that WLS isn't taking the negative plunge that their sisters made. Staying with NewsSeries 2000+ is really a class act for them, keeps them different from the rest of the stations. Perhaps Gari should update that package exclusively for them and make a New Generation version of it.

That's great he took the time to respond. I would think they should be able to keep the "2000" melody. I would like to hear a version of the "NewsSeries 2000" theme with a real orchestra. I think that would sound very, very cool.

• 5 weeks later...

WLS-TV MUSIC UPDATE

The new cuts aren't finished yet, so Tom's told me to look out for them January '08. This is the estimated moth that the music might be aired. I will have an actual date for you guys as soon as I get one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I found where WLS's rejected "News Series 2000 Plus New Generation" went..

On SouthernMedia's NMSA, go to the station KAIT, and listen to the Eyewitness News (2007 until present) open sample #3. Listen very closely to the first 7 seconds of it. Sounds like News Series 2000 Plus New Generation with the Eyewitness News signature slapped at the end to me.

On SouthernMedia's NMSA, go to the station KAIT, and listen to the Eyewitness News (2007 until present) open sample #3. Listen very closely to the first 7 seconds of it. Sounds like News Series 2000 Plus New Generation with the Eyewitness News signature slapped at the end to me.

Yeeeah...that's erm...Interesting. Doesn't the V/O sound like he says "...Always Tacky..."?

Archived