Big TYPO on KABC's Closed Caption. Evacuating to Ejacu...

Amra

Do yourselves all a favor and turn CC on for a syndicated daily-run show sometime. The gym I hit up has it on all the time and I've been surprised by how bad some of the CC text is, not only with simple misspellings and incorrect words, but sitautions like this where I've seen "sex" instead of "six", "cock" instead of "clock", and several other words I'm not sure I'd even be able to post on this board.

As for CC on local news, I know major markets and some smaller markets will have closed captioning done in realtime via phone line from somebody who's wayyyy out of market. Imagine trying to type at around 150 words a minute listening to a phone without making any mistakes and see how you can manage to do. At a station I used to work at the CC service was done in Washington D.C. and piped back up for the encoding into the signal. That same station tried using voice recognition to do closed capitioning as well for a brief period of time but that was a major disaster, especially if it wasn't calibrated for the correct speaker's voice ahead of time. But that's another story altogether.

Most of the time in smaller markets though, prompter is it for CC encoding, and good luck with trying to read that, especially with the way some anchors will use ... , and - in their scripts in order to highlight portions of words to EM-pha...size words.

I pity the folks who have to rely on closed captioning when watching TV... I'd probably want to stop watching altogether!

Priceless! That's just the CC, I've seen some funnier typos on the actual L3s themselves.

Here is a really bad one on the L3 from MSNBC. WARNING: This might be offensive to some people, that's why I'm linking it and not actually posting it.

http://www.cymerian.com/innis.jpg

sad but it just goes to show how important accuracy is!

Larger market stations use real-time because when using an "automated" prompter-based system large portions of shows will be missing, like live shots, weather forecasts unless they're typed in manually, and other events during a show. Not to mention viewers would also be able to read all the anchors' script formatting, like adding ellipsis, commas, and hyphens in the middle of words, not to mention the misspellings from the raw scripts. No closed captioning system will ever be perfect until realtime speech recognition is perfected.

Gosh, KABC + MSNBC (Mostly KABC) really need to practice typing their captions and l3's. Brian Moore, one of NBC's white house reporters got labeled as 'Brain Moore' on one of their broadcasts. Some people need to get one of him.

• 2 weeks later...

The captioner can't slow down, he'll fall way behind, and the viewer will loose the sync between the images and captions. IMO, captioners should go through very extensive training.

I know I'm bumping an old topic...

Archived