Kirtzman and Weinberger Out at CBS 2

j.wer

What the hell? How can CBS 2 let 2 of their best reporters to be axed because of CBS 2.0? WCBS should've got rid of Kristine Johnson, Chris Wragge, Lonnie Quinn and Sam Ryan first instead of getting rid of them.

What the hell? How can CBS 2 let 2 of their best reporters to be axed because of CBS 2.0? WCBS should've got rid of Kristine Johnson, Chris Wragge, Lonnie Quinn and Sam Ryan first instead of getting rid of them.

Keep Chris, get rid of Kristine, Lonnie and Sam.

I think Chris and Kristine are a good pair, but I still don't believe that they should've gotten the primetime 5PM and 11PM slots. Dana Tyler and Jim Rosenfield should've retained those positions.

Put Chris on mornings, move Maurice DuBois up to the noon and 5, put Dana and Jim at 6 and 11.

As for Kirtzman, he used to do some really good political stuff, then they pulled his Sunday morning show, then he wound up doing general assignment stuff, now he is gone. Weinberger never seemed to fit into the station and seemed like a bit of an odd duck.

These cuts are going around to the O&O's,

TVNewswer reports that, "Newsblues has a roundup of the coast-to-coast cuts at several CBS O&Os. They including Chicago's highest-paid anchor and the NPPA video editor of the year. More cuts at CBS stations in LA & NY are expected."

I'd like to point out that the on-air people's dismissal is what we all see, but don't forget about the people you'll never year of, as Huff mentioned in his story today. A lot of good people were lost at CBS 2 and I'm sure the same goes across the board. These are tough times in our economy and this business especially and it's just very difficult to see these things happen. We can only hope for an uptick in the economy soon.

Was this a sudden decision? I was at a social event with Andrew Kirtzman on Friday night, and we had a conversation about his TV jobs and he didn't mention anything about even the possibility of losing his job....

• 2 weeks later...

Bottom line is WCBS 2 has become the biggest *^*?-hole now since Fox 5.

David Friend (to no one) is one of the worst New Directors in the business. He has no clue how to run a newsroom, or what news is for that matter. They talent at CBS 2 is actually good, but they need to change the line-up a bit. I agree, put Dubois on at night. I like Kate Sullivan. But others need to go and others need to move.

Dump Ryan - make Discepolo the weekend sports anchor. Its time to part ways with Tyler (she never did anything for that station as far as ratings are concerned). The jury is still out on Lonnie and Don. As for Wragge, I'm sorry - overated! He's decent at best but still tries too hard. Its time for a new set too - that set they have totally blows!!!!

My sentiments exactly. I have always said that ever since they brought on Dana Tyler, their ratings have been in the crapper.Don't believe me? Go back and check ratings all the way to 1990,when Tyler was promoted to weekday anchor.

If anything, Dana and Cindy are the only ties to CBS 2's past. Losing them would only alienate some of CBS 2's most loyal viewers. Same can be said for some of the reporters: Pablo Guzman, John Slattery, Jennifer McLogan, Marcia Kramer and Lou Young. One of the criticisms about CBS 2 is that you feel like you don't recognize any faces. Getting rid of any of these "veterans" will only serve to push the station down that path even more.

Dana and Cindy rocks!

Michele Marsh and John Johnson was fired because the ratings sucked. Roz, Ernie, Angela Rae and other anchors came and left and the ratings still suck. It would be unfair to blame it on Dana.

If anything, Dana and Cindy are the only ties to CBS 2's past. Losing them would only alienate some of CBS 2's most loyal viewers. Same can be said for some of the reporters: Pablo Guzman, John Slattery, Jennifer McLogan, Marcia Kramer and Lou Young. One of the criticisms about CBS 2 is that you feel like you don't recognize any faces. Getting rid of any of these "veterans" will only serve to push the station down that path even more.

This argument is not quite right.If this is true, how come WCBS got rid of Michele Marsh, Tony Guida, Reggie Harris and so many others in 1996? Surely they were more known to the viewers than Dana Tyler is today. Come on Michele Marsh not as important as Dana Tyler. And, WCBS was in second place immediately prior to Tyler's promotion to weekday anchor. Ever since she was promoted, every single newscast she's been on has been a consistent solid third place. What do you explain that to? Certainly not Dana Tyler stealing Carol Martin's and Michele Marsh's jobs, right? The audience does not like here, period. If they did, her newscasts would be number one. Let all the crap from you folks begin.

I think the crap talker here is you. When Marsh, Abrams and now Johnson, at Dana's old spot at 11pm, have lost more viewers than Dana Tyler. The noon newscast is on the dumper not because of Jim & Dana, but because of Price is Right. If the awfully intelligent and competent Peter Dunn hadn't taken down Cindy, the Noon news would've finish better, and that lead-in translating into the afternoon shows. When CBS 2 News grabbed the #2 spot from News 4 New York in November, people started to bail out. The problem is not Dana, is the management. How about we get rid of Dunn and Friend, put Cindy back on the anchor desk at Noon and 5pm and Dana at 6 & 11, the viewers will have familiar and strong faces that they know and stick by them. I'll bet you that CBS 2, had the management that don't rush to change things, ABC 7, NBC 4 and CBS 2 would be fighting for the #1 spot. Your argument is shit.

This argument is not quite right.If this is true, how come WCBS got rid of Michele Marsh, Tony Guida, Reggie Harris and so many others in 1996?

What part of my argument isn't quite right?

One of the criticisms about CBS 2 is that you feel like you don't recognize any faces.

I think we're making the same point. The station has a history of changing things and dumping well-known talent so often that viewers don't have time to get used to anything. It's this constant turnover that alienates viewers.

And by the way, you said that every newscast Dana has been on has been in third place? I believe the station did pretty well (#2, sometimes #1) back in 1998 and 1999 and, have you seen the ratings lately?, they're #2 again. (Don't forget the power of Judy!)

I think the crap talker here is you. When Marsh, Abrams and now Johnson, at Dana's old spot at 11pm, have lost more viewers than Dana Tyler. The noon newscast is on the dumper not because of Jim & Dana, but because of Price is Right. If the awfully intelligent and competent Peter Dunn hadn't taken down Cindy, the Noon news would've finish better, and that lead-in translating into the afternoon shows. When CBS 2 News grabbed the #2 spot from News 4 New York in November, people started to bail out. The problem is not Dana, is the management. How about we get rid of Dunn and Friend, put Cindy back on the anchor desk at Noon and 5pm and Dana at 6 & 11, the viewers will have familiar and strong faces that they know and stick by them. I'll bet you that CBS 2, had the management that don't rush to change things, ABC 7, NBC 4 and CBS 2 would be fighting for the #1 spot. Your argument is shit.

Actually Amra, the crap talker here is you. If Tyler had any viewers, there would never have been a Marsh, Abrams and now a Johnson, right? You can make all the excuses you want: Price is Right, Peter Dunn, network lead ins, everything. She never had any ratings at all. And and in looking at all ratings books, she was never on a newscast that was rated number one. EVER. So your argument is shit. I do agree with you on Cindy Hsu though. I think Cindy should be given an anchor chair on a weekday newscast. She is one of the best people in this business.

Geoff, you wrote: If anything, Dana and Cindy are the only ties to CBS 2's past. Losing them would only alienate some of CBS 2's most loyal viewers.

I think that if WCBS didn't want to alienate viewers, they would not have gotten rid of Michele Marsh, who was the face of Channel 2 News since 1981. How's that for a long time and not to alienate most loyal viewers. Face it. Some viewers left and will never be back.

And how many times has Dana been back at 11pm? Lots of time, she attract more viewers back to CBS 2 than lost. It's not her fault, and the facts are facts, not excuses.

If the problem were Dana, Lisa Cooley/Hill would have solved the problem or Roz Abrams or Kristine Johnson. But Dana has outlasted both the former and will outlast the latter.

Right on Newscopter 7, Geoffery, Amra

moshewx just does not like Dana Tyler for whatever reason and he is entitled to his own opinion. All I know if Dana was the reason for CBS2 low ratings they would have fired her along time ago. They have demoted her because of greed and quick fixes but in the long run they always put her back at 11pm.

Honestly, I think it all goes back to Laurence Tisch. It's like what Dan Rather was talking about in an article on the Huffington Post. It's CBS' lack of infrastructure. It's cut after cut. KCBS and WBBM are in the same boat.

Archived