KNBC now in HD! At last!

mbhcity

KNBC debut officially its new graphics package during its 5pm newscast. They did not use an official open, and me thinks they use the same music. More info to come.

Now it Fox's turn.....

The new open, looks very much like Belo's, only cooler!

In defense of KNBC, at least they had not taken the KABC approach, and have remained mute about the conversion to HD, like most other stations these days. I know that KABC is still very proud about being the first television station on the west coast, right behind KOMO, to broadcast in HD, as they promote their newscasts as "Southern California's 1st High Defintion Newscast." Good 4 Them.

And yes, Paul does look quite hideous, Where's Tom Snyder when you need him!

Oh my GOD! Finally! I can't even talk at all. Oh my god! I am so happy!!!

On the other hand:

DARNIT! I missed their 5PM newscast!!! I found out about it when I saw them using their new package and bug for an 11PM tease, so I came here. Does anybody have any video from anything of their 5PM today?

It reminds me of NBC Sports.

I was thinking that when I was watching Wimbledon last week. By the way, they usually don't show an open at 5. They stopped doing so a few months ago. Now, they just play some music and start right with a picture of their story and a narration to go with it. Was their 6PM open in HD with the new graphics?

I was thinking that when I was watching Wimbledon last week. By the way, they usually don't show an open at 5. They stopped doing so a few months ago. Now, they just play some music and start right with a picture of their story and a narration to go with it. Was their 6PM open in HD with the new graphics?

Yes it was. It's not too bad. Much like the rest of KNBC's new graphics.

http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=d64cc68a-3011-4b96-a705-20d5bc39e5af

It's not the open that's the problem.

If anything this looks even *more* template-y than its predecessors. And it looks, frankly, even less dynamic than Novocom. Where's the animation? Where's the style? Where's ANYTHING? And why are we dominated by this sickly yellow color? At least the last look had movement and interesting light effects. This doesn't even have that. And do not get me started on the lower thirds.

And did they fix the problems from the last two sets? Did they hell. They are still using the cheap, lifeless "custom" story graphics that do not fit in with the package and destroy any attempt at consistency. That has been the main problem with all of the previous Novocom and Arthouse sets and it remains the main problem here.

If KNBC's look is any indication then I fear for the rest of the O&Os.

All the months of suspence is finally over. KNBC is finally in HD!! I'm shocked that their chopper doesn't have an HD cam. I hope they can get one soon enough.

That's opening is kind of dull. It reminds me more of a cartoon. I wished Novocom would've stayed making graphics updates after their September 2000 graphics during the Sydney games. I hope I don't see these graphics at WMAQ. Even if they made color alterations and could add some skyline add-ons to the graphics, it still wouldn't look right.

But All Kudos to NBC's west coast flagship for going HD. It was long-overdue but better late than never.

It looks awesome. I really don't like the yellow either, but at least this next generation has arrived, and I think most will like it with time.

The animation in the opens are amazing. I love the 3D look.

If this is what Arthouse is producing now, I can't wait til what the Beijing Olympics will be like :awesome:

-- Matt

Well, Today in LA this morning has a load of errors and glitches. Robert Kovacik was at "location" and CNBC's Bob Pisani was at Robert Kovacik (or something along those lines). Usually around 6:45, they do the "You're watching Today in LA", but today, they showed the logo without any music. Other things got cut off early, and the show itself got cut early in the end. Yay! More technical glitches. But, at least they are HD.

PS- They still haven't made any mention of the HD.

Why should they? Well at least a news story on their jump to HD would be understandable. But having openings with voiceovers and anchors uttering out "HD" left and right would follow the footsteps of KABC & KCBS/KCAL. I'm glad they don't have a VO saying "HD" on their openings.

Why should they? Well at least a news story on their jump to HD would be understandable. But having openings with voiceovers and anchors uttering out "HD" left and right would follow the footsteps of KABC & KCBS/KCAL. I'm glad they don't have a VO saying "HD" on their openings.

Just as I said...KPIX, KGO, and KTVU never really mentioned their transitions. The news matters, the HD doesn't, though it is nice to look at.

Wow, if you think the other 'normal' HD open is fast, you should see the midday open- twice as fast because the V/O is half as long. All they say is "This is the channel 4 news midday report" and they still manage to cram in all of that open video. The only thing they actually cut out is the NBC peacock breaking out- they start from the palm tree.

Update: OK, so far they've had 2 mics fail and have had about 3 or 4 graphics that are completely wrong :)

Well, Today in LA this morning has a load of errors and glitches. Robert Kovacik was at "location" and CNBC's Bob Pisani was at Robert Kovacik (or something along those lines). Usually around 6:45, they do the "You're watching Today in LA", but today, they showed the logo without any music. Other things got cut off early, and the show itself got cut early in the end. Yay! More technical glitches. But, at least they are HD.

Sounds like automation glitches to me.

DARNIT! I missed their 5PM newscast!!!

I share your pain, bro. I found out about the transition just the other day during Today in L.A. Wish I had known earlier; I could've gotten Monday's 11PM newscast. (grumble) On the upside, they certainly did a good job with the overall graphics scheme. Here's some examples from Tuesday's show...

knbcnewsset2008ry2.th.jpg knbcots2008kp8.th.jpg

knbcweather2008bgk1.th.jpg knbcweather2008cgf6.th.jpg

knbcset2008bc0.th.jpg knbcsports2008ic9.th.jpg

knbccomingup2008cn8.th.jpg knbclowerthird2008bcq0.th.jpg

knbcsplitscreen2008pv4.th.jpg knbclowerthird2008ka3.th.jpg

Sorry if the quality isn't that sharp; this was sourced from DVD. Enjoy it all the same.

OK, now they are using NewsChopper 4 in 16:9 (for some shots) but not HD- yet.

Something else that's weird I noticed- ever since they got their new HD weather system, it has ALWAYS been raining behind their forecasts. They always have clouds with rain pouring out of them.

Archived