New CBS 2 HD Promo's

NBC 5 Chicago

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we have to wait and see how things work out with using Daley Plaza. Given that it's the city's main "public square" if you will, a lot more issues may arise aside from people interferring with an interview, performance and such.

I must say that both the studio and newsroom are very nice and based on the infomercial that came on earlier today, the opening graphics package and music are very cool as well.

So I've been watching CBS 2 tonight (before the news starts)...lots of issues so far...audio has been dropping in and out, crackling, etc. (I've noticed that since this morning). The CBS primetime feed seems to be coming in fine, but I've lost video (gone to a black screen with audio) anytime a commercial or station feed takes over...not a good sign...

I know it's not my TV because every other station has been coming in fine...

Looks like they did change the music...the lower thirds are driving me nuts so far...

You're not the only one finding the new lower thirds distracting.. Some staffers are too and are right now already talking about having them modified. Same goes with the new music. They're going to give the new music a shot but there already has been some talking the past few days about bringing back the WBBM signature music. Comments already coming in are saying that the new music is too much WGN sounding..

Yes, there is still a boatload of technical issues they are still working on. Most notable are the picture and audio.

They seem to be repeating the same cut of the music in teasers/bumpers...curious to hear what the closing theme sounds like...or if there is a song or image package they based this tune off of.

Helvetica Neue (previous typeface) looked so much better than Helvetica Extended, not sure why they switched. Maybe because they are in HD now?

Technical issues aside, I think they look and sound great.

Graphics are nice. Music is fresh. Set is beautiful.

LazyNet, I doubt very seriously that they "are already considering going back" to the old music. Let's just say I have inside info. This is a station looking forward - not back.

I think they'll be working out the bugs - with the bug, lower 3rds, etc.

Will be interesting to watch in the coming days.

They're going to give the new music a shot but there already has been some talking the past few days about bringing back the WBBM signature music. Comments already coming in are saying that the new music is too much WGN sounding..

How can there be talk of going back to older music if the new music just debuted today? I find it hard to believe that there is really that much in-bickering within CBS2 about the music, as you say. Unless for some weird odd reason they just got the music this week, they've had plenty of time to figure everything out, music included. Give it a chance I say.

Technical issues aside, I think they look and sound great.

Graphics are nice. Music is fresh. Set is beautiful.

LazyNet, I doubt very seriously that they "are already considering going back" to the old music. Let's just say I have inside info. This is a station looking forward - not back.

I think they'll be working out the bugs - with the bug, lower 3rds, etc.

Will be interesting to watch in the coming days.

A good example is WGN. When they debuted the new music package from 615 Music, there were detractors (to be expected). But over time, I've noticed all the talk die down about the change of music and some people have actually come to like it. It will be the same for WBBM.

You could tell that everyone was a little nervous, but despite that, they did an okay job. I agree about the L3s/bug being distracting and would assume some changes could happen in the coming days.

My guess is that the new music package isn't completely finished and that's why we heard the same parts repeated over and over again. As far as it sounding like WGN's music package, I would say that the audio clip that was posted over a year ago on the inthegroovemusic site sounds more like WGN's than the one WBBM used tonight.

Anybody care to share caps and/or video? Their site hasn't been updated video-wise in 2 days.

Video posted on the CBS2 Chicago site now. The "Brazen Attack Shocks North Side Residents" video has the full open with the new music.

L3 looks cool. I think the most annoying thing about it is though is the white CBS eye on the far left.

I hate how there's no over-the-shoulders - did u guys realize that too? - notta one last night at 10. OTS's are perhaps my favorite graphic element of a newscast, I can't imagine they would think using only constant L3's is the only way to go.

Speaking of L3's, they really need to fix em so they fit on non-HD sets. Like most people, that's what I still have and the first couple of letters get cut-off. But I'm sure that's just a bug that need's to be worked out like the audio problems they've been having.

And that condensed Helvetica font is the worst! The 5-day is super ugly too.

Is it a problem with my cable (Comcast) or are there mucho sound problems with CBS 2 HD? I recorded the news last night, and I'm looking at the news this morning, and I am getting NOTHING. I'm actually getting very irritated with not being able to get the whole HD experience.

Otherwise, the set is simply beautiful and the graphics are stunning. Puts WMAQ to shame.

KYW had similar problems when they moved facilities and went to HD. It's such a big thing, hiccups are expected (although I think SD picture quality STILL doesn't look right).

About the new look... graphics are pretty good, set isn't really flooring me since Comcast SportsNet went to a quite similar design last month, and I sincerely think the WBBM signature should have been kept as this new stuff is quite bland. It's a weird mix of WBBM's previous look, KYW's current look, and some of the concepts and ideas used at WBZ. It's not the best CBS O&O package (that, of course, goes to WBZ) but it's decent enough.

Archived