CW11.com is now WPIX.com

civic110

That's good news. I prefer the localism with stations instead of being so generic like CW 11 or CW Atlanta. The CW is 2 hours of their daily lineup (well 4 if you count the afternoon sitcom reruns)--not enough to base your whole branding around if you ask me. I still think Fox stations would be better off being more local in branding than plastering Fox on everything. They too only have 2 hours of programming a day on affiliates but do have sports too I guess.

That's real interesting. Will WPIX become an independent station? Will the WB be coming back, we know there's a beta website for it already. The last time I checked the ratings, Gossip Girls beat out ABC on its premiere and the new 90210 had a pretty decent showing. Smallville and Top Model also bring in a decent pool of audience as well. We shall see how the CW will fare this season.

As a sign of good faith the station owners of CW affiliated stations are giving the network this season to prove themselves as a network here to stay. After dismal ratings since the 2006 launch there's been a lot of rumors floating about how long before owners pull the plug.

Stations pay millions of dollars to the CW for the programming, which is why it promote its network so heavily. Stations want primetime programming to do well, and frankly CW just isn't. Gossip Girls and the new 90210 are the last ditch efforts by the network, hence the heavy promotion and pull no punches attitude. Similar to how FOX got its start, CW can anchor its primetime around two shows and build. One setback is the loss of WWE on Fridays to MNTV. Also hurting the network is that it does not have any O&Os, but rather groups of major owners (Tribune holding the majority of purse strings).

The failure of the CW programming has forced Tribune to look ahead, meaning its looking at working around primetime programming and focusing on local. It knows full well the lead in to the 10pm newscast is going to be poor most days, so it has to work to get viewers in at 10. This is why stations are changing their look to become hyper local.

WPIX was at one time its own brand, even with 11Alive. The failure of the WB and now CW hurt the station locally, so in order to earn back its credibility it is trying to go back to its roots. Look for new logos to drop emphasizing the WPIX and local angle.

Plus, if the CW does flop after this season (largely because Tribune wouldn't want to pay the millions for programming), it will be easier to transition an audience onto its own programming by not changing names instead of abruptly striking the CW.

Also hurting the network is that it does not have any O&Os, but rather groups of major owners (Tribune holding the majority of purse strings).

I believe that all the stations owned by CBS Corporation and affiliated with the CW are considered CW O&Os (WPSG in Philly, KBCW in the SF Bay Area, WUPA in Atlanta, WKBD in Detroit, WTOG in Tampa, KSTW in Seattle, KMAX in Sacramento, WPCW in Pittsburgh, and WGNT in Norfolk).

I guess I am in the minority in thinking this is a stupid move on the Tribune stations part. It's as if they are already deeming the CW a failure and not giving them a chance. To top it off, some of the new logos are ugly and some of the new station brandings sound stupid.

On a side note, CBS Corp. has two independent stations ready to take over the CW affiliation should Tribune drop their affiliation in those cities (KCAL in Los Angeles, KTXA in Dallas). They also have an independent station in Boston WSBK ready to take over should the former Tribune-owned station there drop the CW, and lastly, they have a MNTV-affiliated station WBFS in Miami ready to take over the CW affiliation should the Tribune-owned station drop their affiliation there.

Many people don't know the difference between the "national network" and the "local network." It's not that branding has hurt WPIX, it's the crappy programming. People watch Seinfeld whether it's NBC or TBS.

A show is a show, no matter the branding. Now news on the other hand...

Most of the rest of planet doesn't think a "white female network" makes viable business sense.

If Gossip Girl and 90210 are worth their weight, I would reintroduce them to a new "WB Network," along with Everybody Hates Chris. Kill off the rest of the crap...

Archived